HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This Cannot Stand

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:10 PM

This Cannot Stand

Last edited Mon Jun 11, 2018, 08:06 PM - Edit history (1)

Something has to be done soon. Very soon.

It cannot wait until election.

The Republicans are the majority Party and they need to act. Now.

We simply cannot permit a President, any President, to trash our allies in such a way as Donald Trump did yesterday. On top of that, like salt in a wound, then call our adversaries "honorable men" and attempt to negotiate with them. That cannot stand.

Republicans must act!

Democrats must force them to act!

We cannot permit anyone to treat our allies in such a way.

Donald Trump should be censured on the floor of the US Senate, just for starters.

42 replies, 7050 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 42 replies Author Time Post
Reply This Cannot Stand (Original post)
kentuck Jun 11 OP
Hoyt Jun 11 #1
kentuck Jun 11 #3
Hoyt Jun 11 #7
kentuck Jun 11 #8
fallout87 Jun 11 #2
kentuck Jun 11 #4
world wide wally Jun 11 #17
DallasNE Jun 11 #20
7962 Jun 11 #22
CrispyQ Jun 12 #39
OldHippieChick Jun 11 #5
maxsolomon Jun 11 #6
kentuck Jun 11 #10
maxsolomon Jun 11 #12
kentuck Jun 11 #13
OMGWTF Jun 11 #24
Auggie Jun 11 #29
CrispyQ Jun 12 #40
RandomAccess Jun 11 #16
grantcart Jun 11 #9
kentuck Jun 11 #11
H2O Man Jun 11 #14
debsy Jun 11 #15
CrispyQ Jun 12 #41
maltzmax Jun 11 #18
George II Jun 11 #19
Trek4Truth Jun 11 #21
ProudLib72 Jun 11 #23
kentuck Jun 11 #31
peggysue2 Jun 11 #25
ehrnst Jun 11 #26
bluecollar2 Jun 11 #27
liberalmuse Jun 11 #28
syringis Jun 11 #30
kentuck Jun 11 #32
syringis Jun 11 #33
kentuck Jun 11 #34
syringis Jun 12 #37
Garrett78 Jun 11 #35
babylonsister Jun 12 #36
zentrum Jun 12 #38
Honeycombe8 Jun 12 #42

Response to kentuck (Original post)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:14 PM

1. It appears the best way to force them to act at this point is to vote in 5 months.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hoyt (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:18 PM

3. Of course , there is no rule that says Democrats cannot hold them accountable , in the meantime .

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:23 PM

7. Well, how are they going to do that? Rather than yelling at the sky, I'd rather whip their rears.

Nothing else will be as effective, except maybe a damning report from Mueller, but I’ve quit counting on that.

In fact, the message will be plain from polls in just a few months if we get behind Democrats.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #7)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:30 PM

8. Should be no problem ...

He just shit on our allies and praised our adversaries !

Should no one say anything?? Just wait 'til election day?

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:15 PM

2. What can be done?

honest question. They cannot be forced, and no amount of protest has moved them to do the right thing and oppose him.

Reply to this post

Response to fallout87 (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:20 PM

4. Nothing ...

...no need to say anything about it. They might get angry.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 06:33 PM

17. Even though Republicans would shoot it down,

Democrats could bring up the issue in a very loud manner to get headlines.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 06:59 PM

20. With 87 Percent Approval With Republicans

Nothing will happen. Indeed, we can't rule out his getting reelected in 2020 as there seems to be enough misfits to make it happen. One helluva cult following he has put together. I still can't see the economy perking along once the full effect of his tax cuts have on interest rates but I could be wrong. It has me scared.

Reply to this post

Response to DallasNE (Reply #20)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:04 PM

22. Democrats just have to put up a good candidate in 20 & not get over confident.

Reply to this post

Response to 7962 (Reply #22)

Tue Jun 12, 2018, 12:44 PM

39. I don't know if I can even image the damage that will be done by 2020,

considering what has already been done. It hasn't even been a year & a half.

The dems absolutely must win back at least one chamber of Congress in November or our country will be so seriously compromised by 2020 we may not recognize it. McConnell is bragging that he's making generational changes to the judiciary. The nominees are mostly radical & young & will be with us for decades. If the dems win the House, that won't stop.

On my FB page: Government impacts every aspect of your life, so vote like your life depends on it, cuz it does.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:22 PM

5. Repukes will never go for it and McTurtle would never allow a vote. We need to take a

clue from deNiro and apologize directly to the Canadian people via an internet petition. I don't have the skills, but if someone else does ...

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:22 PM

6. Ha ha, good one

Dems in Congress couldn't make the GOP give Garland a hearing.

Before this is over, we'll be lucky if the DOJ doesn't arrest every Democrat in Congress and suspend Habeas Corpus.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #6)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:36 PM

10. I take your words seriously...

I don't know what else we can do, except to ask for a censure? We could wave our fists in the air. We could scream . We could fight if necessary. We could raise a little hell, I suppose? Or we could have a doctor check everyone for a pulse ??

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #10)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:42 PM

12. LOUDER and ANGRIER would be a good start for our Dem congresspeople.

Did you watch Sen. Merkely at that Brownsville Walmart? So polite and deferential outside our Government's Child Prison.

Trump laughs at that. His voters laugh at that. Their Media laughs at that.

Only Macron has shown how to deal with his bullying. Yank his fucking arm off. Leave a thumbprint on him.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #12)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:48 PM

13. I agree .

We need some fighting Democrats right now! Some that can put pressure on the opposing Party to act .

Is that too much to ask ?

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:06 PM

24. Whenever Twitler shakes Putin's hand

his is always on the bottom, never up and down like normal people. Trump is a bottom.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:44 PM

29. I suggest Democrats in "can't lose" districts. Pelosi, for example ...

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 12, 2018, 12:55 PM

40. Pointing out that dems are too meek in their responses to the outrages occurring on a daily basis

is considered "attacking dems" to many on this site. Personally, I agree with every word you said here & above.

Where is the outrage the party had for Al Franken?

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #10)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 06:25 PM

16. How many times have YOU called or written your MoC about it??

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:35 PM

9. Republicans have never been a majority party

In a Republic it is possible to have minority led governments nut normally the minority party will make efforts to find areas of agreement and inclusion.

Reply to this post

Response to grantcart (Reply #9)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:40 PM

11. I think that is true , but...

...they have the majority in the House and Senate, as we speak .

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:55 PM

14. Recommended.

Thank you for this. It has been difficult for me to find adequate words to describe the disgust I experience when watching the coverage of this terrible person.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 05:58 PM

15. We keep trying to pick at one thing at a time...

...when the WHOLE TRUMP AS PRESIDENT THING IS ILLEGITIMATE. We should be leaving work, driving our asses to DC, and protesting THEM STEALING THE ELECTION! We should have done that to begin with. We are so complacent. We sit by and do nothing, hoping it will get better. IT ISN'T GOING TO GET BETTER!

Reply to this post

Response to debsy (Reply #15)

Tue Jun 12, 2018, 01:03 PM

41. I can't remember who said it, but,

"If you want to know what you would have done in 1930's Germany, you're doing it now."

We've had what, three, maybe four major marches since the Con's been in office? My non-political friends all believe that "it can't happen here," even as it's happening here. One of them, who never believed the Con would even get the GOP nomination, finally got woke & told me last week, "I hate that you were right. I'm genuinely afraid for where we're at & where we're going." I said, "I hate that I was right, too."

We're on a precipice & could topple either way.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 06:39 PM

18. Yup we are screwed

I am losing hope that the Russia investigation will impact Trump at all. It sounds like the intelligence community knew the Trump campaign was working with Russia, and that the Russians where meddling in the election as it was happening. The response was Comey releasing a new memo about Hillary. Think about that dor a bit. I also think about the lengths that the FBI took to squash the 60's. And now we pin our hopes on them? All too depressing and frightening. I have also heard the theory that if Trump can not be indicted now, that he could once he leaves office. Well, if that is the case, I would expect that he will then refuse to leave office.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 06:44 PM

19. They rehearsed well Saturday night - Kudlow AND Navarro both used the same "stabbed in the back"....

...on Sunday morning.

They won't admit that IF trump was "stabbed in the back" (which Trudeau didn't do) it's because that's all they saw of trump hours before the meeting ended when he snuck out early.

Had trump stuck around for the customary press conference Trudeau would have said the same thing right to his face.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:01 PM

21. They were playing clips of all the Republiscums saying how Obama is alienating our allies...

it is fucking rich.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:06 PM

23. I think you mean "censure"

Anyway, I'm reccing this for censuring the Rump in the Senate. It cannot be only those Rs who are on their way out.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudLib72 (Reply #23)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 08:08 PM

31. Yes, thanks !

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:30 PM

25. I agree, but

the Republicans have shown no spine when it comes to the Trumpster. In fact, McConnell said this morning that the last 16 months have been enormously successful for conservative values.

Whatever they are.

The GOP is scrambling to fill as many judicial slots as possible, pull in as much money as they can, dismantle as many regulations as they see fit and deport as many immigrants as possible, and then will use Trump's expression 'wait and see what happens' in November. They're not going to do anything until they're dragged kicking and screaming to take action.

And that's why Dems must win in November to force the issue, curtail the damage and expose the rot at the very core of the Republican Party.

Jeff Flake took to twitter over the weekend in reaction to the G-7. This cannot be my party, he wrote. But it is his party, has been for a very long time--irrational. hateful and cruel. McCain also tweeted a stronger message about the importance of our allies. Corker has said he will try to block the stupid tariffs that the Trumpster is jabbering about. But until these words are turned into action, the few and far between objections are utterly useless.

Waiting is hard. Patience is hard. But as the minority party we don't have a lot of options, beyond working towards November and supporting Mueller's on-going investigations.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:31 PM

26. I wish the GOP would act, but I don't expect them to.

They have shown that they are willing to drive this country off a cliff in order to be able to get themselves a new luxury car.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:43 PM

27. Democrats must force them to act!

Perhaps we can all threaten to hold our breath until we turn blue?

The Republicans have been doing whatever they want since Gingrich without consequence.

It's not going to change until our party grows a set...

And here's where I get Alerted on again.....

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:43 PM

28. They don't care what he does...

as long as they can destroy the safety net, loot the public treasury, pilfer the commons, punish the poors, set women back 1000 years, continue to oppress people of color, seize and place migrants in detention camps and hand their children over to traffickers all while pocketing that Putin money as they shit all over the American Dream. We need to get out and vote, and make sure everyone we know is registered to vote this November. It's all we have.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 07:50 PM

30. Hi Kentuck

My opinion FWIW.

Given the short time remaining before the mid-term elections, focusing on the ballot is better than wasting time and energy convincing the Republicans to act. It is very likely they will do so as a pure strategy, in an attempt to avoid a full debacle. They do it rather softly, just enough to smoke their most malleable constituents.

Instead, the Democrats have to throw themselves into the race and win as many seats as they possibly can. Their effective action will only be feasible with a substantial majority.

Reply to this post

Response to syringis (Reply #30)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 08:17 PM

32. Naturally, if the issue is too weak for them to defend ...

...and not worth fighting for, then they just wait and fight for something important? Nobody would ever want them to fight a battle they would surely lose . After all, if he gets us into a war , we would never need our allies , since we now have Russia and North Korea on our side...I guess it isn't that important ??

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #32)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 09:13 PM

33. You're completely misrepresenting what I said.

I said the current situation, which is certainly unpleasant, but has not reached a critical point, would be counterproductive and the energy and time it would require would be much more fruitful in the campaign.

On one hand, time is extremely short until November, and on the other, given our globalized world ruled by countless international conventions, a war will not start within a day.

Needless to say, if the events justify it, more drastic action will have to be taken. I would add if this were to happen, the Republicans themselves will have to react under international pressure.

Reply to this post

Response to syringis (Reply #33)

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 09:49 PM

34. I hear what you are saying but why should we vote for anyone that cannot defend their allies?

Or is unwilling to do so? Because they are looking for some sort of political advantage 4 or 5 months down the road? It seems like the longer we wait without confronting this problem, the weaker we become. What will we have done to deserve to be put in charge of governing ? I just happen to think this is the time to stand up. We can't wait until November.

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #34)

Tue Jun 12, 2018, 09:21 AM

37. Hi Kentuck

I agree with you theoretically.

Above all, it is about being pragmatic. Scattering and fighting on several simultaneous fronts is a losing choice all along the line.

Whether we agree or not, in politics, unfortunately, success often depends on compromise.

It is also true that the line between compromise and compromised attitude, is often blurred. The art lies in not crossing it.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 11, 2018, 10:35 PM

35. What would Republicans be doing right now if roles were reversed?

I suspect they'd be blanketing the airwaves and calling for impeachment.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 12, 2018, 12:21 AM

36. We're all outraged. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 12, 2018, 12:07 PM

38. Well, Feinstein

…said on Jake Tapper that Trump "made a mistake" in not joining the G7.

So, um, there's that.

Reply to this post

Response to zentrum (Reply #38)

Tue Jun 12, 2018, 03:04 PM

42. LOL. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread