HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ernest Medina, Army Capta...

Mon May 14, 2018, 09:51 AM

Ernest Medina, Army Captain Acquitted in My Lai Massacre, Dies at 81

Capt. Ernest L. Medina, right, with his lawyer, F. Lee Bailey, talking to reporters in 1969.CreditUnited Press International

By Richard Goldstein

May 13, 2018

Ernest L. Medina, the Army captain who was accused of overall responsibility for the March 1968 mass killings of unarmed South Vietnamese men, women and children by troops he commanded in what became known as the My Lai massacre, but was acquitted at a court-martial, died on Tuesday in Peshtigo, Wis. He was 81.

His death was confirmed by the Thielen Funeral Home in Marinette, a nearby town where he had lived. The cause was not given.

On March 16, 1968, a month and a half after North Vietnamese and Vietcong forces launched the Tet offensive, wide-ranging attacks that stunned the American military command in the Vietnam War, Captain Medina and the three platoons of his infantry company entered the village of My Lai in South Vietnamís south central coast region.

What happened over the hours that followed became one of darkest chapters of American military history. An Army inquiry ultimately determined that 347 civilians were killed that day ó shot, bayoneted or blasted with grenades. A Vietnamese memorial erected at the site has put the toll at 504.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/obituaries/ernest-medina-dies-my-lai-massacre.html

4 replies, 551 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ernest Medina, Army Captain Acquitted in My Lai Massacre, Dies at 81 (Original post)
DonViejo May 14 OP
hlthe2b May 14 #1
kentuck May 14 #2
dalton99a May 14 #3
BSdetect May 14 #4

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon May 14, 2018, 09:54 AM

1. One of the many horrible steps to the moral degradation that is the US now.

RIP (Rot in perpetuity, Medina)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 14, 2018, 10:02 AM

2. I remember Captain Medina.

The officer directly above Lt. William Calley.

I recall the anger in a group of older Vietnamese women talking about the massacre.

I heard nothing about it from any American sources... until I returned to the states in 1969.

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 10:04 AM

3. Burn in hell

Reply to this post

Mon May 14, 2018, 10:11 AM

4. And apparently they attacked the wrong village due to a map reading error.

A helicopter gunner was awarded a medal for saving some of the victims by threatening to shoot US soldiers.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread