HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Not to interrupt the Joy ...

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:11 PM

Not to interrupt the Joy shitshow, but a REAL homophobe, anti-choice, Islamophobe, racist, climate

change denialist, war-mongering (advocates regime change in Iran, NoKo, Syria, etc), sexist, fundie bigoted fuck is now our new Secretary of State.

Not only that but he got 6 Democratic YES votes (7 if you count Angus King).

Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), Doug Jones (Ala.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Claire McCaskill (Mo.), Bill Nelson (Fla.), and Angus King(Maine - I).

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00084#position

One of the reasons I love Joy Reid is that she was NOT afraid to call out Democrats who voted for RW shit

This is about the RW-pushed repeal of key elements of the Dodd-Frank Act in the horrid bank de-regulation bill a month and half ago:

Joy Reid on the earlier vote (the same 17 voted yes on the final bill)

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00054

Bennet (D-CO)
Carper (D-DE)
Coons (D-DE)
Donnelly (D-IN)
Hassan (D-NH)
Heitkamp (D-ND)
Jones (D-AL)
Kaine (D-VA)
King (I-ME)
Manchin (D-WV)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Nelson (D-FL)
Peters (D-MI)
Shaheen (D-NH)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Tester (D-MT)
Warner (D-VA)

8 flipped, from voting FOR Dodd-Frank in 2010 to now rolling back key provisions

Michael Bennet (CO), Tom Carper (DE), Bill Nelson (FL), Debbie Stabenow (MI)

Claire McCaskill (MO), Jon Tester (MT), Jeanne Shaheen (NH), and Mark Warner (VA)

also, another shitter, from last fall

Senate Passes $700 Billion Pentagon Bill, More Money Than Trump Sought (89-9)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/us/politics/senate-pentagon-spending-bill.html

It is all bread and circuses, whilst so much of the truly destructive shit gets shoved right through in the fog of war and insane distractions. Kabuki theatre indeed.

13 replies, 966 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Not to interrupt the Joy shitshow, but a REAL homophobe, anti-choice, Islamophobe, racist, climate (Original post)
Exotica Apr 2018 OP
Snackshack Apr 2018 #1
BigmanPigman Apr 2018 #2
Exotica Apr 2018 #5
BigmanPigman Apr 2018 #8
Ferrets are Cool Apr 2018 #3
SunSeeker Apr 2018 #4
EffieBlack Apr 2018 #6
Exotica Apr 2018 #9
Gothmog Apr 2018 #12
Hekate Apr 2018 #7
Exotica Apr 2018 #10
Gothmog Apr 2018 #11
Ferrets are Cool Apr 2018 #13

Response to Exotica (Original post)

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:14 PM

1. Thank you.

For the perspective.

It has been misplaced as of late.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:21 PM

2. I have the feeling there is money involved...there always is!

Regardless of being a Dem or GOP most people can be bribed when it comes down to the almighty dollar in their personal retirement funds hidden in their mattresses.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:31 PM

5. the most frustrating thing is that the fucking Rethugs NEVER would cross lines on votes

that us Democrats deem as crucial as THEY do on so many of these ultra-right appointments or horrific de-reg bills, etc.

The Rethugs do not give a toss about bi-partisanship, its a fucking one-way street for them, every fucking time. Yet so often we have a nice chunk of our caucus who peal off and then give lame excuses by the bushel full. It is maddening to me, not that my opinion matters for shit.

Reply to this post

Response to Exotica (Reply #5)

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:35 PM

8. We DO matter because we are able to spot this BS and call them on it.

The GOP will stop at nothing, EVER yet the Dems always roll over and try to explain and justify why they did so and so. That is our problem. We are too goody-goody and need more of a spine or else we are will never be seen as a real, strong, effective unified party.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:24 PM

3. Not that it will do ANY good at all

but I will be calling my Senator (Jones) tomorrow to raise holy hell. This is twice now that he has voted with the repugs on important issues.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:28 PM

4. K & R

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:31 PM

6. Yeah, but there's something different about him

If I think about it hard enough, I can probably figure out what it is.

Reply to this post

Response to EffieBlack (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:36 PM

9. Samantha Bee Calls Out Racist, Warmongering Homophobe Mike Pompeo

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/samantha-bee-on-potential-secretary-of-state-mike-pompeo-video.html

Trump has a fabulous record of nominating unqualified bigots to serve our government. Most recent examples include anti-immigrant judicial nominee Michael Truncale and allegedly “flat-out unethical” Department of Veteran Affairs nominee Ronny Jackson. But some are saying that Secretary of State nominee Mike Pompeo is Trump’s worst pick yet—and if you’re too burnt out on depressing political news, don’t worry. Samantha Bee is here to tell you why.

As she tells it, Pompeo’s nomination posits a diplomatic nightmare of epic proportions: the potential Secretary of State is famously anti-Muslim, anti-gay, and pals around with notable right-wing conspiracy theorists like Secure Freedom Radio host (and “escaped Westworld robot”) Frank Gaffney. He received anti-Muslim group ACT for America’s highest honor, voted against the Violence Against Women Act, and called homosexuality a perversion. That all makes sense according to Bee, who joked that, “to Republicans, straight women are just the gays of heterosexuality,” and that combined homophobia and Islamophobia is “what Republicans call intersectionality.”

A homophobic Secretary of State presents notable diplomacy concerns: “The secretary of state represents American values to the rest of the world, and a homophobic secretary of state will do nothing to assert values of tolerance in anti-gay countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan … and the United States.” (That last dig is perhaps a half-joke, but I think we all know it’s quite serious.)

In summary, I’ll leave you with some final words from Bee:

At a time when our tantrum-throwing, garbage pail kid of a president has fired most of the grown-ups who were reigning in his worst instincts, it’s more important than ever to have a Secretary of State who’s willing to stand up to him when necessary. Unfortunately, Pompeo is even more of a balls-out, warmonger nut job than the president.

Reply to this post

Response to Exotica (Reply #9)

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 07:47 PM

12. I watched this last night-S. Bee did a great job

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:33 PM

7. Don't look at Pompeo! Look over here at Morning Joy! Kill her, kill!

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 06:57 PM

10. Morning Joe and his more goonsquadish guests loves them some Pompeo

Neocon Richard Haas (President of the Council on Foreign Relations) sounded like he was going to shoot a load in his 7,000 USD pants singing his praises several days ago.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 26, 2018, 07:46 PM

11. Pompeo is an asshole

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2018, 11:21 AM

13. I just made a call to Senator Jones and told his office

that if he continues to vote like a republican, he will not get my contributions, my support or my vote in the next election cycle. I was very polite but very clear that he was elected as a democrat and that he should vote like one.
I was told that my opinions would be passed along. They may not, but at least I feel like I have done the correct thing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread