HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The end of Bon-Ton: Liqui...

Wed Apr 25, 2018, 06:32 PM

The end of Bon-Ton: Liquidators win auction for bankrupt chain's assets, will wind down business

http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-biz-auction-for-bon-ton-assets-20180416-story.html

$775 million! No small bid. Nothing spells economic success like bankruptcy and liquidation. Was at one of them this week. Nothing to buy. Store is closing, been there for 40 years including predecessors, anchor in small mall which is now 1/2 empty. Meanwhile a mile up the road more new stores being built on virgin land ... of course. Next recession they all close again and they build some more.

6 replies, 854 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply The end of Bon-Ton: Liquidators win auction for bankrupt chain's assets, will wind down business (Original post)
bucolic_frolic Apr 2018 OP
democratisphere Apr 2018 #1
Freethinker65 Apr 2018 #2
bucolic_frolic Apr 2018 #3
Freddie Apr 2018 #6
Freddie Apr 2018 #4
Wellstone ruled Apr 2018 #5

Response to bucolic_frolic (Original post)

Wed Apr 25, 2018, 06:43 PM

1. drumpf has destabilized the American economy and this is only the beginning

of many other problems in all sectors, imo.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 25, 2018, 07:00 PM

2. Quite a few malls near me that HAD Sears and Carson's (Bon Ton, Inc.) as anchors

I cannot think of anything to fill those huge empty spaces.

Reply to this post

Response to Freethinker65 (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 25, 2018, 07:07 PM

3. Things to fill the aging population

Joint, bone, and spine surgery centers, condos in some cases so you can live at the mall .... how cool would that have been back in the day ... or some are just torn down. Nothing more depressing and wasteful to me than tearing down all that concrete, steel, brick. They pulverize it, haul it, dump it, and start anew. Don't know if any of the materials such as cement or rubble is recycled into new materials. I didn't make this world.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 25, 2018, 07:10 PM

6. Another former dept store in my town

Is an outpatient minor surgery, testing and physical therapy center. Always busy.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 25, 2018, 07:08 PM

4. There's a Bon-Ton near me

Kind of an old-fashioned dept store, clothes, household stuff, furniture. Always thought the women's clothes were largely for the older crowd (and I'm not young!). They were doomed when we got a Kohl's here. Our store is a former Hess's, there has been a dept store in that building continuously since 1976. More empty retail space.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 25, 2018, 07:10 PM

5. This was another one of the Bain Capital type of buyouts.

Mortgage the hell out of the Business and take her to the Bankruptcy Court. The Boys who own Federated made a killing on this one.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread