HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 'Extremely Racist' Video ...

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:17 AM

'Extremely Racist' Video Shows Frat Swearing to Hate Black and Jewish People

The clips posted to a secret Facebook group were also described by Syracuse University as "anti-semitic," "homophobic," and "sexist," which is really an understatement.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmg538/extremely-racist-video-shows-syracuse-frat-swearing-to-hate-black-and-jewish-people-vgtrn

"I solemnly swear to always have hatred in my heart for n*ggers, sp*cs and most importantly the fuckin' k*kes." That was the "oath" members of Syracuse University engineering fraternity, Theta Tau, seemed encouraged to recite in an online video obtained by the college's student newspaper Wednesday, igniting widespread protests across campus, Syracuse.com reports.

The video obtained by the Daily Orange was said to be one of many filmed at the frat's house and posted to a secret Facebook group, reportedly by an SU senior and chapter member. According a Syracuse spokeswoman, they were then "sent to university officials," as the New York Times reports. In a campus-wide email sent out Wednesday, Syracuse University chancellor Kent Syverud said that the fraternity had been "immediately suspended."

"[The videos] include words and behaviors that are extremely racist, anti-semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities," Syverud wrote. "I am appalled and shaken by this and deeply concerned for all members of our community."

According to the Daily Orange, the fraternity members engage in all kinds of horrific behavior in the various online videos—including an apparent Holocaust reference, when someone shouts "you fuckin’ k*kes, get in the fuckin’ showers!" In another, someone yells, "he’s drooling out of his mouth because he’s retarded in a wheelchair." Students are also told to talk "about their significant others while drinking different wines and talking in gay girly accents."

snip

53 replies, 2451 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 53 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Extremely Racist' Video Shows Frat Swearing to Hate Black and Jewish People (Original post)
Exotica Apr 2018 OP
exboyfil Apr 2018 #1
Exotica Apr 2018 #2
Adrahil Apr 2018 #19
cwydro Apr 2018 #3
Initech Apr 2018 #4
Doodley Apr 2018 #48
Initech Apr 2018 #50
IronLionZion Apr 2018 #7
whathehell Apr 2018 #11
radius777 Apr 2018 #30
IronLionZion Apr 2018 #5
radius777 Apr 2018 #28
Doodley Apr 2018 #49
SWBTATTReg Apr 2018 #6
whathehell Apr 2018 #10
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Apr 2018 #8
xmas74 Apr 2018 #14
edbermac Apr 2018 #9
LeftinOH Apr 2018 #12
xmas74 Apr 2018 #18
Doodley Apr 2018 #13
xmas74 Apr 2018 #16
Doodley Apr 2018 #23
xmas74 Apr 2018 #43
Doodley Apr 2018 #45
xmas74 Apr 2018 #51
MineralMan Apr 2018 #15
xmas74 Apr 2018 #17
Doodley Apr 2018 #24
xmas74 Apr 2018 #42
Doodley Apr 2018 #47
xmas74 Apr 2018 #52
Doodley Apr 2018 #25
WhiskeyGrinder Apr 2018 #20
Behind the Aegis Apr 2018 #21
Doodley Apr 2018 #26
Behind the Aegis Apr 2018 #36
Doodley Apr 2018 #37
Behind the Aegis Apr 2018 #38
Doodley Apr 2018 #39
Behind the Aegis Apr 2018 #40
Doodley Apr 2018 #41
Behind the Aegis Apr 2018 #44
xmas74 Apr 2018 #53
ChubbyStar Apr 2018 #31
Solly Mack Apr 2018 #22
Civic Justice Apr 2018 #27
Blue_true Apr 2018 #34
Civic Justice Apr 2018 #35
muntrv Apr 2018 #29
meadowlander Apr 2018 #46
EffieBlack Apr 2018 #32
grantcart Apr 2018 #33

Response to Exotica (Original post)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:19 AM

1. An engineering fraternity

If the names get out, good luck getting jobs with any major corporations.

Quick to pull their website. Cached version of their officers.

Brotherhood

Membership in our chapter of Theta Tau has grown significantly over the past few years. With this growth in membership, we are fortunate to have new experiences that emphasize the best each one of us has to offer.
Officers
Alexander Fox
Regent
Tyler Vartabedian
Vice Regent
Joseph DePalma
Treasurer
Devlin Witbeck
Corresponding Secretary
Ivan Valverede
Scribe

?_nc_cat=0&oh=c3b558b9fd6c78f90a39d42aad8ccd4a&oe=5B55A733

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to exboyfil (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:23 AM

2. what the fuck where they thinking? INSANE and so representative of the deeply

ingrained systemic racism that is prevalent in the nation.

Reply to this post

Response to exboyfil (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 01:28 PM

19. Weird.

The Theta Tau chapter at my school was positively BORING. The most exciting thing we did was host a picnic on the day the SPpace shuttle (piggy back on its 747) did an orbit of the campus. Woo hoo! We got crazy THAT day.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:26 AM

3. Interesting.

So much racism in the NORTH.

Even that nasty university of Alabama racist girl was from New Jersey.

Reply to this post

Response to cwydro (Reply #3)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:41 AM

4. We always give the south a lot of shit for their hardcore racism.

But some of the most hardcore racism in the entire country lies in states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, Michigan, and Ohio. These are the states we need to expose for their racist leanings. It doesn't take a political science major to see why these states went Trump.

Reply to this post

Response to Initech (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 05:22 PM

48. You can't blame whole states for the racist views and actions of some.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #48)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 05:35 PM

50. No but rural areas definitely tend to be more racist than large metro areas.

You are right though that you can't pinpoint it on whole states.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:53 AM

7. Much of upstate NY voted for Trump

I went to school in upstate. There was definitely some out and proud klan members and urban nazi-types with no shame.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 12:34 PM

11. Not just racism..

Misogyny, homophobia and anti-semitism too...You gotta be a straight white, gentile MALE to be human in their view.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:42 PM

30. it's why the blue/red divide is really metro vs retro,

less than north vs south.

Metro regions across the country are heavily blue, whereas rural areas across the country are heavily red (aside from rural PoC areas).

Eg, upstate NY is red, Memphis TN is blue.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:51 AM

5. They forgot about Indians/Asians and foreign students?

What economic anxiety could these engineering students possibly have experienced to become so hateful to black and Jewish people? Those two groups are probably underrepresented in Engineering and wouldn't pose much of a threat in the struggle for jobs.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #5)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:26 PM

28. WN/NeoNazis view Jews as the archenemy of the white race,

ie as the architects of diversity (social/racial/gender justice) and globalism (non-white immigration, outsourcing, etc) that is "depurifying" whiteness.

Rest assured, they hate all non-whites and there were many attacks against Asians and Indians and Muslims etc after Trump won and since.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 05:25 PM

49. Their parents are probably the racist offspring of whites who viewed the pre-civil rights

era as the golden age. They probably watch Fox and have been brainwashed from birth.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 11:52 AM

6. Sick racist idiots think that their racism is going to save ...

their jobs/homes/etc., or whatever weird thing that they are thinking (who knows what a cockroach thinks?).

Perhaps if they studied hard and worked hard at their schooling like most of us do in the normal world, they would able to obtain a meaningful job and understand truly how wrong their racist views are in today's world.

Perhaps w/ their names out in the open, that they'll experience such a backlash of their views that they'll regret and understand that racism of any kind has no place in our society in today's world.

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 12:29 PM

10. Frequently explained as super insecure and self-loathing..

They've got white skin and a dick and imagine that's their ticket to Superiority.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 12:08 PM

8. Don't now if this is a common thing among college fraternities

It's just very few people I know and respect have been members of such.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Reply #8)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 01:14 PM

14. I was in a sorority

An ex in a frat. His was a social frat (Delta Chi)

He posted this article on Facebook and said he was disgusted.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 12:11 PM

9. k&r

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 12:52 PM

12. There is already an Engineering Honors Fraternity at Syracuse,

Tau Beta Phi - which has lots of chapters nationwide. One wonders if the creeps in this video are Tau Beta Phi rejects.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftinOH (Reply #12)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 01:24 PM

18. Probably.

This crap happens when they feel rejected from the "good one".

Looks like there was a reason to be rejected.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 12:57 PM

13. All fraternities should be banned IMO.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #13)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 01:16 PM

16. Why?

There are different kinds and most aren't like this. Most aren't anything like what they show in the movies.

Reply to this post

Response to xmas74 (Reply #16)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:02 PM

23. They are cliques and go against every value that I hold.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #23)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 02:45 PM

43. So you've never joined a club with people of

Similar interests?

My local Democratic club could be considered a clique by your reasoning. My local Moms Demand Action could be a clique. Rotary could be a clique.

Reply to this post

Response to xmas74 (Reply #43)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 05:13 PM

45. A club that has rules that might include exacting unreasonable standards of membership,

exclusion of others who may be interested in joining, often based on simply living in another building (perhaps those of lower-socio-economic good fortune), hazing rituals, and an unreasonable level of secrecy is a clique. An innocuous club welcomes all, doesn't have secrecy and doesn't have hazing rituals. The cultish culture of frats only encourages an environment of elitism and exclusion, rather than inclusiveness.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #45)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 07:33 PM

51. Once again, you seem to have no idea

That there are different kinds of fraternities.

My daughter is a dual credit /part time student at a university while finishing her high school diploma. Her GPA is high enough that she was offered membership into Sigma Alpha Pi. It is exclusionary because not everyone meets the standards. Not everyone has a high enough GPA, has a balance of leadership skills and public service.

She plans on joining PRSA in the fall. It's a student organization that not everyone can join because they are not PR majors. She is also interested in Picking Delta Phi. It's also exclusionary because it applies to French majors.

You're focusing on social fraternities and what you've seen in movies. The frat in trouble is not a social frat-it's an honors frat for engineering majors. Most frats are actually honors frats that are inclusive of all races, genders, orientation and religion. They usually expect a certain GPA, a recommendation and an exact major. They are exclusionary for a reason.

Housing-my child has talked about moving on campus in the fall. She's only interested in moving into a ship-a building or floor dedicated only to a certain major or interest. Are you also against this? She wants to live in the PR ship. If, for example, a criminal justice major tried to move into that ship they wouldn't be allowed. This allows kids who want to interact within their major the opportunities to do so and network. They have the chance to meet people in their field to study with and get involved. If the CJ major does not like it should it be taken away, even though CJ at this school has its own ship?

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 01:16 PM

15. Just shut them all down and be done with it.

I'm completely fed up with stories like this one. Are there nice frats with nice people in them? Perhaps. I don't know. I've never encountered one like that, though.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #15)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 01:23 PM

17. Sure there are.

They're just groups. Some are social, some are honors. All are required to actually put in philanthropy hours in their community. Most social demand at least a 2.5 GPA while honors demand at least a 3.0.

I was in a social. We mostly drank but we never acted like asses. I know plenty of kids in music, business, social work, etc that are in their honor frat. It shows that they stood out and it helps builds connections in the future.

Most honor frats wouldn't do this, which is why I'm surprised it was from an engineering frat. They'll get their chapter shut down asap. I don't see it remaining on campus because it ruins the reputation of members nationwide.

Reply to this post

Response to xmas74 (Reply #17)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:04 PM

24. By their nature they are cliques.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #24)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 02:42 PM

42. They group together people with similar interests.

In this case it's engineering majors. It could be business majors, psychology majors, etc. They are no different than other clubs that group together people with similar interests.

Something will always go to far but most allow people with similar interests and opportunity to meet, to form bonds that could benefit them both now and in the future.

Reply to this post

Response to xmas74 (Reply #42)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 05:19 PM

47. If it is a club fine, but a frat isn't just a club. A frat is based on exclusion. That is why I say

frats are against every value I hold.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #47)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 07:37 PM

52. This was an honors frat.

They focus on people within a specific field. You're confusing them with social frats.

Many of the honors clubs on campus have Greek letters. They are called fraternities, meaning brotherhood.

This is the same argument over and over. You've proven you do not know the difference but choose to double down.

Do a search sometime for honors frats. There are many, usually more than social frats on campus. Learn about them before you make your argument.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #15)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:05 PM

25. Agree completely.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 01:30 PM

20. Do better, white people.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 02:12 PM

21. Going after Jews...again.

I wish I could say I was shocked, but I am not. I also know the anti-Semitism part of this story will be the least discussed and of the least interest to most people. It won't even appear as a "blip" on the bigotry radar of most people.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #21)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:08 PM

26. It is disgusting. Will the university be held to account? Probably not.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #26)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 04:40 AM

36. It isn't just the university which concerns me.

It is the people who will rage about all the bigotries except the anti-Semitic parts! When it comes to bigotry, Jews are often overlooked and it is really pissing me off.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #36)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 11:48 AM

37. I would like to hear more Jews speak out about other bigotries.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #37)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 11:51 AM

38. Are you fucking kidding me?!

Jews speak out against all types of bigotries ALL the GODDAMED time! Where are the OTHER groups speaking out against anti-Semitism?!

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #38)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 12:26 PM

39. My wife is a Jew and many of our friends are. I don't hear too much talk about black discrimination

in America. I don't hear too much concern about discrimination against Muslims. I never hear concern about Palestinians.

Polls show that Jews are the most respected religious group in America. Yes, the anti-Semitism is appalling and too many young people are either ignorant of the Holocaust or deniers. On-campass anti-Semitism is on the rise. That is of great concern. What the hell do they teach kids at school?

But we live in a country where Muslims are feared and hated on a scale that is much greater and the man who is president wanted to ban Muslims from entering the country. That would mean even the Mayor of London would be banned. I don't see much discussion about that.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #39)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 02:01 PM

40. So, "some of your best friends are Jews". riiiiight? How typical.

Perhaps you aren't "hearing" about Jewish "concerns for others" because you aren't listening! There is a long history of Jewish activism for others. Your example even shows how "deaf" you are, because when the so-called "Muslim Ban" came out, it was Jews, among others, who FLOCKED to airports, the ADL who condemned it, and other Jewish groups who drew parallels to Nazi Germany.

Your gentilesplainin' and privilege is not atypical, sadly, and in a thread about anti-Semitism, you make criticisms of Jews to be more vocal about other forms of discrimination. The goddamned video targets Jews, but you are "navel gazing" and "wondering" why Jews aren't speaking out against Islamophobia and anti-Palestinian sentiment....neither group were EVEN targets in this particular hate spree! When it comes to hate crimes, Jews are the most targeted group when it comes to religion, about 60%, and overall, about 12%, yet we only make up THREE percent of the US population.

Maybe you "don't see" much discussion because you aren't looking! Would you, as a white person, in a thread about racism, like this one, tell a black DU'er, "sue racism is bad, but I don't see African-Americans showing concern for other forms of bigotry." Would you see that as patronizing, dismissive, and whiteplainin'? Or would you recognize your privilege and not say such drivel?!

Take a lesson from J.K. Rowling and ask yourself: 'Would response to any other form of racism or bigotry be to squirm, deflect or justify?'

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #40)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 02:29 PM

41. There is no need to be rude. I have a right to an opinion. And I have made it

clear that I am not anti-Semitic. I married a Jew. I hang out with Jews. I've worked for Jewish organizations. I have traveled to Israel. You are out of order to be mocking that I say my best friends are Jews. I am an atheist who married a Jew. I have said I am appalled by anti-Semitism. I have said that anti-Semitism is on the rise. I have said there are too many deniers of the Holocaust.

Take a look at this graph that shows that Americans feel warmer towards Jews than any other religious group, even though, as you point out Jews are a minority of only three percent:

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/how-the-u-s-general-public-views-muslims-and-islam/

That graph misses that there is a minority of Americans is hateful to Jews, but it does show that being Jewish may carry certain advantages compared to other groups. Yes, anti-Jewish sentiment is unacceptable and I am all for condemning it, but it does not compare to the widespread distrust and hatred of Muslims, as propagated by the president of America.

Do you hear me complaining about discrimination against atheists? No, I am more concerned about Muslims, Jews, blacks, gays, immigrants, and other minority groups. I ask for no credit, but I do not expect to be attacked. None of us are more important than any other.

You say "The goddamned video targets Jews," as if blacks do not matter. You illustrate my very point.

Reply to this post

Response to Doodley (Reply #41)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 02:45 PM

44. Yes, you have a privileged opinion, nonetheless.

I am NOT out of order, I am entitled to MY opinion too, because, once again, you as a non-Jew, are telling me a Jew, what is and isn't anti-Semitism and what MY community is all about. You are also spewing "whataboutism" with your "examples".

You say "The goddamned video targets Jews," as if blacks do not matter. You illustrate my very point.

YOU illustrate MY point. I am Jewish and the conversation was about failure of people to address anti-Semitism, NOT the failure to address racism! Yet ANOTHER example of your "whataboutism".

That graph misses that there is a minority of Americans is hateful to Jews, but it does show that being Jewish may carry certain advantages compared to other groups. Yes, anti-Jewish sentiment is unacceptable and I am all for condemning it, but it does not compare to the widespread distrust and hatred of Muslims, as propagated by the president of America.

My, my, look at all those "BUTS". You say Jews are privileged as if anti-Semitism do(es) not matter. Sure anti-Semitism is allegedly "bad" but others have it worse, so let's ignore it and talk about every other form of discrimination. You illustrate my very point.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #40)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 07:40 PM

53. When I attended the airport protests

A large contingency of protesters were organized out of a local Jewish community center.
I see and here the Jewish community in the US speak out often against injustice.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #21)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 03:52 PM

22. WTF?

Sometimes I want to go live in a cave...as far away from so-called civilization as possible.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:26 PM

27. After 100's of years these Dumb Ass Racist White Boys have not stopped being the Problem in America

They are not Men, because they don't have the character or integrity to be A Man.... They simply can't evolve into being a Man, because They Lust for Evil and Promote Savagery .... and Devote themselves to being Savages... These are the same types who continue to think "women" are their possessions. (!!!!!!!!) and live with delusion of entitlement, at the expense of others. They are SAVAGES!!!!

If anyone wants to know THE ROOT CAUSE of America's Problems... this video and this dumb racist pledge AMONG AMERICA SAVAGE MINDED WHITE RACIST is THE DOMINANT REASON why America's problems persist.

These are the same make up of "white types" from the historical lineage of racist and bigoted white male types, that shipped away jobs, busted unions and destroyed America's Industry system, because they can't digest the thought of anyone having a decent life and a sustainable job... and good pay... if they are not white.

It would be great if a plague swept the nation and only targeted and wiped these type of racist bigots out.... Then America could meet with its own Declaration of Independence and Respect its own Constitution.

Reply to this post

Response to Civic Justice (Reply #27)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 08:11 PM

34. They fucked up. They live in the age of cellphones with video.

Their name will come out. They are fucked unless they have a rich mom or dad that can give them a job.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #34)

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 08:42 PM

35. Too many of these Types of "Monetary Privileged" asshole exist with like minded ignorance.

....they think money and white skin is the whole of being.... They demonstrate their groomed in savagery.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:37 PM

29. They should change their name to Kappa Kappa Kappa.

Reply to this post

Response to muntrv (Reply #29)

Fri Apr 20, 2018, 05:15 PM

46. LOL

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:50 PM

32. Oh, great. ANOTHER isolated incident that doesn't mean anything at all

What is this, like the 100th one this week?

Give it a rest already ...

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:54 PM

33. The second video is as uplifting as the second one is depressing.

Great to see students on the march again.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread