HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Europeans are Opting for ...

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:24 AM

Europeans are Opting for Meat Substitutes 450% Increase

Last edited Wed Feb 14, 2018, 05:09 AM - Edit history (4)

Products that worked as meat alternatives were by far the most popular sector, boasting a growth of 451%. Researchers also reported an increase of 196% for vegan products and of 73 % for gluten-free products.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/meat-substitutes-europe-grown-451/

My favorite meat substitute burger is a grilled portabello mushroom with all the burger fixings under the sun.

My Instapot, idiot-proof pressure cooker makes beans and rice easily and perfectly completely unattended. I pop in the ingredients, put on the cover, push a couple of buttons and go off to do other things. The Instapot turns itself off and keeps food warm. The best invention. Now available at Target for $99. So much better than overcooked crock pot veggies, imo.

My fav is Moong Dal aka Kichari. It is Indian medicine, soothes my soul ☺️🙏

Save some money, too. The Instapot paid for itself in 30 days.

I feel better, too.

Save a cow
Save a pig
Save a chicken
Save a ton of cash
Do a jig.

Go for mostly plant based proteins and enjoy that meat once a week.

Oh, almost forgot to mention the life saving properties of chick peas/garbonzo. The list of health benefits is long. But my fave is a satisfying cleansing (trying to be delicately classy here)

Beans and rice combined are a better source of nutrients than meat.

What are your fav meat substitutes recipes or foods

52 replies, 1957 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 52 replies Author Time Post
Reply Europeans are Opting for Meat Substitutes 450% Increase (Original post)
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 OP
MLAA Feb 2018 #1
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #4
MLAA Feb 2018 #7
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #10
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #19
IluvPitties Feb 2018 #2
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #5
ProudLib72 Feb 2018 #3
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #6
ProudLib72 Feb 2018 #8
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #9
Binkie The Clown Feb 2018 #11
Hortensis Feb 2018 #26
mucifer Feb 2018 #35
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #38
crazycatlady Feb 2018 #44
meadowlander Feb 2018 #12
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #17
silverweb Feb 2018 #13
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #18
silverweb Feb 2018 #31
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #37
silverweb Feb 2018 #47
renate Feb 2018 #14
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #16
toddwv Feb 2018 #34
renate Feb 2018 #36
DFW Feb 2018 #15
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #20
DFW Feb 2018 #21
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #22
Cha Feb 2018 #23
Raine Feb 2018 #24
Thyla Feb 2018 #25
Hortensis Feb 2018 #28
OnDoutside Feb 2018 #27
Ezior Feb 2018 #32
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #39
A-Schwarzenegger Feb 2018 #29
DetlefK Feb 2018 #30
CentralMass Feb 2018 #33
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #40
MrsCoffee Feb 2018 #41
renate Feb 2018 #51
CrispyQ Feb 2018 #42
crazycatlady Feb 2018 #43
Vinca Feb 2018 #45
silverweb Feb 2018 #48
Vinca Feb 2018 #49
silverweb Feb 2018 #50
NCTraveler Feb 2018 #46
Nevernose Feb 2018 #52

Response to OhNo-Really (Original post)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:34 AM

1. Red beans and rice. Chili and sloppy joes with soy crumbles

Tofu lettuce wraps. Soy based hot dogs with a spicy Cole slaw for slaw dogs (love the chipotle better than mayo). Ahh, the list goes on. And I can’t resist Gardein soy meat/chicken/meatloaf substitute products from time to time. And you just can’t beat a baked sweet potato for taste and nutrition. For comfort food canned Bush vegetarian baked beans on mashed potatoes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MLAA (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:45 AM

4. I miss hot dogs

I will try these. Do you have a fav brand?

I think I really just like the onion, mustard, and relish btw 😂

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:49 AM

7. They are called Smart Dogs. I like the regular size ones, not the jumbo option.

You can get them at Whole Foods, sprouts and even Frys (that is a large traditional grocery chain like Kroger or Publix). Yeah, some days I go traditional mustard, ketchup and relish when I am too lazy to make the cole slaw even though it only takes a few mins. And once in a blue moon I slice them up and put them in bake beans as a comfort food from childhood.

Reply to this post

Response to MLAA (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 01:06 AM

10. Thank you.. I will try these

I have been so happy with the baby bok choy and baby napa cabbage as well as many other green produce at my local Oriental market that I don't miss meat much.

Moong dhal/Kitchery with veggies and topped with my faux tamarind sauce ( molasses, lime juice, hot pepper sauce) are so soothing. Sometimes I add a splast of coconut milk.

I also invested in Indian Spices which are so cheap at the Oriental Market as well. I grind the seeds in ,u Black and Decker coffee grinder and saute before adding thr yellow peas and rice. Lots of nutrients in seeds.

Reply to this post

Response to MLAA (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:01 AM

19. Thank you. I rarely crave meat anymore.

I will check out your suggestions.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:39 AM

2. I am not that evolved, yet.

Gimme my meat.

Reply to this post

Response to IluvPitties (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:46 AM

5. Sundays are my meat days.

Expensive cuts

I don't want my "digest meats" enzymes to die off.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:40 AM

3. No portabellos. No, no, no more ever again.

They were never a "substitute". They are tough and chewy.

There are so many better substitutes that have a better taste and MUCH better texture!

Reply to this post

Response to ProudLib72 (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:47 AM

6. I am sensitive to processed foods .... sigh

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:57 AM

8. No tempe, seitan, or tofu?

I couldn't make it a day without one of those.

When I first went vegetarian it seemed like everywhere I went the one thing on the menu I could have was portabella mushrooms. Sometimes they were "burgers", but often they were just grilled and plopped on a plate by themselves. I left me with the impression that a lot of restaurants didn't give vegetarians a second thought.

I would rather eat beans and rice than portabella mushrooms.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudLib72 (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 01:00 AM

9. Tofu yes. The others no.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:12 AM

11. When I went vegan many years ago...

instead of looking for "meat substitutes" (that is, vegetable products that looked or tasted like meat) I just began to enjoy legumes, tubers, and vegetables for themselves, on their own terms. When I eat a dish with squash and greens, for example, I enjoy it as squash and greens. I don't try to pretend it's a sausage. For this reason I have avoided all forms of "fake meat" like veggie hotdogs or veggie "burgers".

I find that just worked better for me. There's no point in pretending to eat "meat", because in doing so you miss out on what the real veggies taste like.

Reply to this post

Response to Binkie The Clown (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:57 AM

26. Never veggie or vegan here, but 100% anyway. Our daughter

was in a hospital with a vegetarian kitchen for a few days when small, and I found out why its cafeteria was notoriously bad. Every day was a series of awful fake thises and thats, instead of celebrating vegetables and grains for themselves. I'd assumed at worst I could just eat hard boiled eggs and salads. No eggs--turns out they come from chickens. (I hadn't thought that one out.) But amazingly, very limited green salad also. All the cooks' enthusiasm clearly went into grinding stuff up. My husband fed me from home.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:44 AM

35. The best thing about the fake meats are they help omnivores transition

I do believe part of the reason there are more vegans and vegetarians now is because there are more options and better recipes out there and all the fake stuff. It's all so much easier than decades ago.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:57 PM

38. I agree

I think for texture variety and for some recipes to keep the fam happy, meat substitutes are helpful

Transisting to healthy eating is tricky business.

Also, the beans and rice dishes provide complete proteins. I like baked loaves

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:51 PM

44. I gave up meat 2 months ago

It was bound to happen as I kept getting sick after eating meat. I've been eating a lot of veggie burgers lately, and most are quite good.

However, I don't pretend it is a burger. Sometimes I eat it on a roll with cheese, but usually I just eat it plain.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:20 AM

12. Stir-fried tofu skin

Reply to this post

Response to meadowlander (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 03:58 AM

17. Yum. Now I am hungry

Thank you.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:25 AM

13. Seitan.

I've been learning to make it myself and it's wonderful. So versatile and recipe possibilities are endless.

Reply to this post

Response to silverweb (Reply #13)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:00 AM

18. Make your own. I'm very interested in

your recipe.

Processed foods are not my friends.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #18)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 05:49 AM

31. I have a whole folder full of recipes.

There are so many variations that it's unbelievable. If you're on Facebook, I highly recommend the Seitan Appreciation Society. Almost everything you need to know is there.

Basic Homemade Seitan

Yield: 1 pound

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp granulated onion
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp seasoning or flavoring of choice (vegan meat, fish, poultry, mushroom, etc, flavorings; see Amazon for Better than Bouillon's excellent vegan flavors).
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tbsp Bragg's aminos (or soy sauce), optional.
1/4 cup chickpea flour
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1-1/2 cups vital wheat gluten

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Saute garlic with the oil in a skillet until soft and fragrant. Add all the other dry spices and seasonings, stir until fragrant (about a minute) and remove from heat.
3. Transfer skillet contents to blender, including the oil. Add all other ingredients except the wheat gluten and process until smooth.
4. Measure out wheat gluten in a large bowl. Add blender contents and mix until well combined into a ball of dough. Set aside, cover, and let rest for about 15 minutes.
5. Knead the dough until it becomes more firm, a bit stretchy and a little springy, about 2 minutes.
6. Prepare steamer and use plenty of water. Shape dough into a log-shaped blob and roll it up snugly in aluminum foil, twisting the ends tightly to seal. Repeat with another piece of foil for a double wrap. Steam for 1 hour, flipping carefully halfway through. *
7. Let cool. Refrigerate overnight, still wrapped, for best texture. (If wrapped in cheesecloth, use an airtight container to avoid dehydrating it). Slice as needed for recipes. Keeps in refrigerator for up to a week and freezes very well for up to 3 months.

* There are different ways of wrapping and cooking this. Some prefer wrapping in cheesecloth over foil for steaming or boiling in broth; some use plastic wrap (I don't recommend). Baking in foil yields a denser texture (i.e., steak). Steaming or simmering keeps the seitan more moist and a little less dense (i.e., "beef" roasts, "pork," "poultry," etc). Simmering in broth worked well the one time I tried it; it was my very first attempt at seitan and I impressed myself.

Finally, the Seitan Appreciation Society and Easy Vegan Recipes groups (to name my favorites, but just two of many pages at FB) can direct you to recipes, cooking methods, people's experiments/results, and creative ideas. There are recipes that mimic the texture and flavors of any meat you can name. There are recipes that mimic seafood, as well as cheeses and other dairy products.

I know there are those who say if we're going to not eat animal products, we shouldn't be making vegan analogs for them. I say "bullshit" to that and tell them to mind their own business. Just because we choose not to participate in the brutal exploitation of animals with all its attendant environmental damage does NOT mean we have to give up the familiar forms and flavors that most of us have enjoyed. By duplicating them with plant-based alternatives, we can have the best of both worlds.

Reply to this post

Response to silverweb (Reply #31)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 12:49 PM

37. Thank you so very much.

I will give this a go.

I did find the Instapot works as well for those pressed for time.

Chick peas! I would never of guessed.

My home made fast food requires a bit of prep. I grind and jar my own fresh garlic and ginger, keep large wok and cover on the stove, preclean and bag large quanties of veggies in fridge.

A stir fry takes ten minutes.

Heat pan
Chop some veggies
Add T oil and spices, fresh garlic and fresh ginger (amount depends on preference) to pan to heat up (I also always add a 1/4 t tumeric)
Finish chopping veggies
Dump veggies into pan, stir for 2 minutes to coat
Add small amount of water, rice vinegar, soy, tamari, or aminos sauce
Stir, cover, steam for 2 minutes
Add Seseme Oil, adjust seasonings to taste. I like Mongolian Fire Oil or Red Pepperpaste

I slide the chopped veggies from the cutting board onto a large, thin placemat, making them easy to dump into the pan and simplyfy clean up.

I clean up and put away stuff while veggies are cooking.

In less than 10 minutes I have a large batch of bright green, fresh, tasty veggies and only one pan and a spatula to wash.

The key is buying, prewashing, drying and packaging the veggies. I squeeze the air out of zip lock bags before sealing.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #37)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 03:05 PM

47. That's awesome.

Your stir-fry sounds delicious. Kudos for prepping your own garlic and ginger, and so efficiently prepping everything else in advance. That's most of the work done right there.

The Instapot is very popular for making seitan, but not really necessary. I don't have one and don't feel I need one, since what I already have works fine.

There's another recipe that's all the rage right now at the Seitan Appreciation Group called "chickwheat." It uses more chickpeas than this recipe and everyone is raving about it. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to this weekend.

Another favorite over there is "blackbeet roast beef," which uses black beans and beets with the gluten. I haven't tried that one yet, either, but hope to soon.

Anyway, have fun and carry on!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:29 AM

14. Soy curls!!!!

I love Thai and Indian food, which don’t seem to ever (or rarely) call for big hunks of chicken... it’s always just strips. Soy curls are the shizz. I buy them from the manufacturer 12 pounds at a time and they’re super cheap that way.

I used to buy canned seitan but that was expensive. I do like it but soy curls are almost as good at a fraction of the price, plus if you don’t eat gluten they’re ideal.

Reply to this post

Response to renate (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 03:51 AM

16. I will look for soy curls. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Response to renate (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:21 AM

34. Seitan is ridiculous easy to make.

Just buy a bag of vital wheat gluten, mix what you need and boil. High protein, low fat and a great vector for different sauces.

Reply to this post

Response to toddwv (Reply #34)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 11:53 AM

36. I'll try that--thanks so much!

That will be great! I didn't know it was so easy!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 03:23 AM

15. Where in Europe is that?

It certainly isn't here in Germany.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #15)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:02 AM

20. The article breaks it down.

Beer is plant based food imo!

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #20)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:16 AM

21. There are some of us in Germany that hate beer, believe it or not

I can't stand the stuff, and neither can my wife, who is German.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #21)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:25 AM

22. I am sure, diversity is int'l

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:28 AM

23. Yumm on the Portabella Mushroom

burger.. including everything under the Sun

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:34 AM

24. Good for them..

better for the people and great for the animals!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:50 AM

25. So basically any food that is not meat

Is considered a "meat substitute" now?
Odd that it has been elevated to such a nonsense level. Beans, pasta, mushrooms, noodles et Al. I guess I can safely say now that last night I had a lovely dinner of meat with a side of meat substitute.

I mean it is hardly surprising people may want to be eating healthier and as the price of meat rises it makes it less affordable but let's not turn it into something it is not.

Here in Spain you can still order a vegetarian salad that will come loaded with ham or fish, they don't really get it here in some parts.

Reply to this post

Response to Thyla (Reply #25)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 05:32 AM

28. :) to that last part. Very different here in U.S., as

you obviously know. Whatever they call it, meat substitutes are going to have to be protein, likely some combo of legumes and grains that together make up a complete protein.

Since my daughter-in-law is leaning more and more away from meat, her problems have made me more aware (also all the vegan chat on forums), and I've started making the dishes I take to gatherings full-out vegan even if she isn't. Easy enough, just some thought given to something that could be filling if nothing else was available. A rice pilaf pumped up with lots of roasted vegetables (but no beans) went over well last time, and who knows, may have rescued someone who won't touch the mac and cheese that's at every gathering here in the south.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 05:22 AM

27. That must be from a very low starting point.

Using percentages can be very misleading. Speaking as a European, large parts of the continent would just take the meat off the plate if you asked for a vegetarian meal. My sister in law is currently living in Belgium, and has a very limited circuit of places to eat out, as a vegetarian.

I'd say they're guilding the lily in this article.

Reply to this post

Response to OnDoutside (Reply #27)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 05:59 AM

32. It's becoming less and less of a problem in my area of Bavaria

The traditional bavarian diet includes Rahmschwammerl mit Semmelknödel (various mushrooms, dumplings and creamy mushroom sauce, pics: https://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/200751084783436/Semmelknoedel-mit-Rahmschwammerl.html ) and Kässpatzen (Cheese-"Spätzle", pic: https://www.bayern.by/allgaeuer-kaesspatzen ), so that is usually offered in traditional Bavarian restaurants, though it's not vegan and the cheese often contains rennet taken from dead calves.

Some restaurants have apparently noticed demand for a greater variety of vegetarian food, so some of them have a special "vegetarian" section in their menu cards, or they put a special "veggie" symbol next to all the meals that are vegetarian.

The many Italian or Asian restaurants offer various meat-less pizza, pasta, tofu and noodle meals. Even mostly meat-focused "American-style" burger restaurants often sell special veggie burgers, like this one: https://www.burgers-augsburg.de/menu/vegetarisch/ . The "Hans im Glück" burger franchise offers 7 different vegetarian burgers and 4 different vegan burgers.

I don't even remember the last time I had to ask for something special because so many restaurants are well prepared to serve vegetarian food in Bavaria. Also, major supermarkets now offer lots of meat substitutes, even Aldi and Lidl discounters have some. 10 years ago it was difficult to find them in supermarkets. Though apparently the initial hype is over now.

Reply to this post

Response to Ezior (Reply #32)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 01:03 PM

39. Thank you. Very interesting and heartening to hear.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 05:40 AM

29. Amen.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 05:49 AM

30. I hate meat-substitutes. Just hate them.

I don't mind eating vegetarian or vegan. (My vegan chestnut-ragout would blow your socks off.)

But if I bite into something looking like meat, I expect it to taste and chew like meat. Don't trick me into eating fake meat, because fake meat is not at all like real meat. If you want me to eat vegetables, just serve me vegetables!!!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 06:55 AM

33. I ran across this company that sells an interesting variety of organic non-GMO beans online.

Reply to this post

Response to CentralMass (Reply #33)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 01:05 PM

40. thank you

Online shopping has brought a variety of choices to most peopl

Many who don't have the ethnic markets available.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 01:05 PM

41. Your New Cursed Insta Pot:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/faq-your-new-cursed-instant-pot

Congratulations on the purchase of your new cursed Instant Pot multi-use programmable Pressure Cooker. Instant Pot is the #1 selling 7-in-1 multi-cooker that reduces cooking times up to 70% by summoning the horrible black magical powers of Baphomet, the Sabbatic Goat God. Your cursed Instant Pot will change the way you cook kitchen staples like soups, stews, meats, rice, potatoes, hard boiled eggs and so much more!

How does my cursed Instant Pot cook food so quickly?
The cursed Instant Pot uses a high-pressure cooking chamber, advanced microprocessor technology and the black magic of an ancient pagan deity, Baphomet, our unholy dark lord and savior, to reduce cooking times and energy usage by up to 70%.

Developed by top food scientists, engineers, and necromancers, the Instant Pot uses cutting-edge, lab-tested algorithms to control cooking pressure and temperature while keeping the revolting powers of an atavistic goat-god safely trapped within a shard of shimmering jet black obsidian.

Does my cursed Instant Pot mock God?
Yes. Summoning the powers of a profane occultist nightmare to save time in the kitchen is an abomination and an affront to God.

If this concerns you, please consider one of the many non-cursed Instant Pots available on our website.

I added ingredients to my cursed Instant Pot and they disappeared forever into a cold and infinite swirling abyss. Is this normal?
Make sure the stainless steel Inner Pot is set firmly inside the Cooker Base and making contact with the heating element. When positioned properly the Inner Pot should prevent ingredients from falling into an endless expanse of pain and suffering.

When I open my cursed Instant Pot I hear a chorus of distant screams.
Due to our unique manufacturing process and uneasy accord with a heathen idol, you may occasionally hear the tortured and infinite wails of the damned emanating from within your cursed Instant Pot. If the screams become too frequent or anguished, try recalibrating by holding down the KEEP WARM and TIMER buttons for 5 seconds.

...more at link

Sorry, couldn't help it when I saw the Instant Pot!

Reply to this post

Response to MrsCoffee (Reply #41)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:13 PM

51. I love McSweeney's!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:44 PM

42. A few weeks ago there was that article about the meat industry.

They don't take an animal with cancer out of the process, they just cut the cancer out. Yum. I want that.

I went veg before there were garden burgers, much less all of the fake meat products they have now. We had tofu & tempe. And no internet to learn how to cook it.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:48 PM

43. I found a good veggie chili recipe

No meat substitutes but it was delicious. It is vegan if you don't add cheese/sour cream.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:55 PM

45. The local grocery chain gave away a product called Quorn that is made of algae - I think.

This was a couple of weeks ago and I haven't dared throw it into a recipe yet. I chose the ground version with the idea of putting it in chili. Has anyone here used it in cooking? Quite honestly, the whole algae thing is putting me off.

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Reply #45)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 03:12 PM

48. Quorn is "mycoprotein," related to mushrooms.

It's actually a kind of fungus that is grown in huge stainless steel vats. It comes out kind of like bread dough, then is flavored, shaped, and frozen for shipment. There are a couple of vegan products, but most use egg whites as a binder.

I love Quorn. It's high-quality protein and quite delicious. Here's their website: https://www.quorn.com/

Don't be afraid of it. Make that chili!

Reply to this post

Response to silverweb (Reply #48)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:02 PM

49. Thanks for the info. I feel better knowing it's more mushroomy than pond scummy. LOL.

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Reply #49)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:07 PM

50. You're welcome.

Enjoy!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 02:56 PM

46. I don't understand the thought of making something look like meat.

Or something it is not.

Still, I'm very uneducated in this area. Are these things called "meat substitutes" because of their protein value. That would make perfect sense.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:44 PM

52. Chicken Fried Steak

My vegan daughter has made it for me a couple of times. I don’t know how she makes tofu taste and texture like it was beef, but it is delicious.

Her mom’s side of the family is Seventh Day Adventist, so there’s a hundred years of vegetarian tradition to draw on (besides the various vegetarian world cuisines).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread