HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Google/Youtube issues war...

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 02:45 PM

Google/Youtube issues warning to Alexei Navalnys bribery investigation video

Posted Feb. 8:

From today:

Google has warned that Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalnyís YouTube channel will be blocked if his team does not remove an excerpt of his graft investigation into billionaire Oleg Deripaska and a senior government figure.

A court injunction in Deripaskaís native region on the Black Sea coast has ordered the removal of 14 Instagram posts and seven YouTube videos saying they breach his right to privacy, threatening to otherwise block both platforms by Wednesday. Russian communications watchdog Roskomnadzor blacklisted the materials, including Navalnyís website, following the court order.

In compliance with Roskomnadzorís request, YouTube has threatened Navalnyís camp to "block the content" unless it removed a video mentioning its investigation of Deripaska, according to an email that Navalnyís team shared on Monday.

The Roskomnadzor and YouTube emails single out the video for removal, but not the 25-minute investigation that was published on Navalnyís own YouTube channel and was viewed more than 4 million times.

More: (Moscow Times, baby)
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/google-warns-navalny-over-sex-graft-investigation-60484

Bill Browderís tweet:

?s=20

1. Google works for Deripaska now
2. I donít know how Mr. Navalny will survive his constant arrests and harassment, I really donít

Goddamit

6 replies, 349 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Leghorn21 (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:03 PM

1. A court injunction in Deripaskas native region on the Black Sea coast has ordered the removal

This was not googles decision.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Egnever (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:13 PM

2. Okay. So, I dont understand the situation, apparently...thank you...I didnt know courts have

jurisdiction over YouTube content this way, though - it just doesnít seem right!!

Reply to this post

Response to Leghorn21 (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:21 PM

3. Try to remember that google operates in many countries that have their own laws

To continue operating in those countries they have to abide by those laws. Google in china for example is a much much different animal than it is here.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/2016/05/23/banned-china-10/3.html

Gmail is one of many Google services to be severely restricted by Chinese regulators.

And you can't see Google (GOOGL) search results or YouTube videos in China.

Google has for years engaged in a running battle with Beijing over censorship. In 2010, Google redirected search traffic from mainland China to its uncensored Hong Kong arm and largely pulled out of the market. The relationship has improved little since then.

The EU has also put restrictions on google that they don't have here.

Reply to this post

Response to Egnever (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:36 PM

4. Thanks, Eg, for your detailed explanation....when in Rome, looks like. *sigh*!! - just hate to

see the courageous Navalny get shut down by this Deripaska mobster!!!!

Again, appreciate your reply!

Reply to this post

Response to Leghorn21 (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:41 PM

6. I completely understand

It sucks but googles hands are tied. At least they gave him the opportunity to change the video to comply with the ruling instead of outright banning him.

Reply to this post

Response to Leghorn21 (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:39 PM

5. Doesn't matter. Once it's out there, it's out there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread