HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The media deserve an F fo...

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:43 AM

The media deserve an F for failing to report on the consequences of the gop's inability to govern

Americans dying of the flu while the CDC is underfunded and without a leader, Americans still without power in Puerto Rico, Americans without safe drinking water in Flint and many other places, American families torn apart as ICE agents adopt Gestapo like tactics...the list goes on and on

30 replies, 2268 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply The media deserve an F for failing to report on the consequences of the gop's inability to govern (Original post)
Va Lefty Feb 2018 OP
tblue37 Feb 2018 #1
dewsgirl Feb 2018 #2
Guilded Lilly Feb 2018 #3
RKP5637 Feb 2018 #4
Baitball Blogger Feb 2018 #5
DownriverDem Feb 2018 #6
gademocrat7 Feb 2018 #7
JayhawkSD Feb 2018 #8
Proud Liberal Dem Feb 2018 #9
JayhawkSD Feb 2018 #11
Proud Liberal Dem Feb 2018 #16
JayhawkSD Feb 2018 #19
JayhawkSD Feb 2018 #12
Va Lefty Feb 2018 #15
Eyeball_Kid Feb 2018 #10
dlk Feb 2018 #13
zipplewrath Feb 2018 #27
randr Feb 2018 #14
brooklynite Feb 2018 #23
randr Feb 2018 #24
brooklynite Feb 2018 #25
randr Feb 2018 #28
brooklynite Feb 2018 #29
randr Feb 2018 #30
not fooled Feb 2018 #17
JayhawkSD Feb 2018 #22
Mr. Ected Feb 2018 #18
NRaleighLiberal Feb 2018 #20
Ligyron Feb 2018 #21
Skittles Feb 2018 #26

Response to Va Lefty (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:45 AM

1. K&R for visibility. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:54 AM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:03 AM

3. The Main media has become an extension of politics combined with reality TV.

An obsessed side show.
Tremendously disheartening.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:08 AM

4. Trump doesn't give a damn, he's a sociopath ... and MSM only airs what makes money

for them. They don't give a damn about the US, only as it effects their bottom line. It's a horrific combination, and the Fox News and the like fill the country with propaganda.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:22 AM

5. It is going to make a great history in review of Trump's administration.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:17 AM

6. About the media

The media is corp owned and governed. Guess what side they are on. The media being liberal is just a bunch of BS.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:34 AM

7. K&R!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:57 AM

8. While not in any way defending the media...

...which I despise with fully as much fervor as you appear to do, lets find more valid criticicisms to level at them.
"Failing to report?"

"Americans dying of the flu while the CDC is underfunded and without a leader..." I don't know what you are watching in Virginia, but on the "western edition" of the national news and on every iteration of local news in California, the flu epidemic is good for at least two and sometimes three segments, and the CDC's problems are getting plenty of coverage.

Americans still without power in Puerto Rico was covered daily for months, with the Trump administration being heavily criticized for hiring an inadequate electric repair company that was actually hired by the Puerto Rican local government. Power problems received several segments recently, even while the Winter Olympics are on.

Americans without safe drinking water in Flint and many other places was another issue carried daily when it happened during the Obama administration. The emergency was declared in January of 2106, and by Jan of 2017 water was returned to safe condition and replacement of lead pipes was underway, with completion scheduled for 2020. To repeat, media coverage was massive.

American families torn apart as ICE agents adopt Gestapo like tactics was another problem covered rather thoroughly during the time that the Obama administration was deporting illegal immigrants at a rate vastly higher than any president before him. Trump threatened to cancel Obama's DREAM act executive order, but never actually did so. What is being seriously under reported is the repeated refusal of a Democratic Congress to pass the DREAM act, not just once but twice, when Obama asked them to.

I'm all in favor of being critical of the media and of Trump, but let's use facts, please. There are plenty of facts to use. Lets leave the use of fakery to the Republicans.

Reply to this post

Response to JayhawkSD (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:59 AM

9. What are you talking about?

Trump DID cancel Obama's DREAM act EO. I also could be wrong but I thought that I had heard that DREAM got filibustered in the Senate- by Republicans.

Reply to this post

Response to Proud Liberal Dem (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:04 PM

11. Okay, I will satnd partillly corrected.

He cancelled it and, before any action was taken said he would withhold deportations until action was taken by Congesss. No deportations have been made pursuant to his cancellation. In ordering that action be suspended pending decision by Congress, he effectively withdrew the cancellation.

Parents of dream children are being deported when they commit breaches of the law, but that is nothing new. It was happening under the Obama administration and is not a result of the cancellation of the executive order.

And is the Senate not part of Congress? Actually, in at least one attempt the House refused to even bring it to the floor.

Reply to this post

Response to JayhawkSD (Reply #11)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:14 PM

16. The Senate DID pass a bipartisan immigration reform bill in 2013

that languished and died in the (Republican) House. Not defending President Obama's deportation policies but at least he tried to protect Dreamers and the blame for not doing more is way more on Republicans than on Democrats here. Republicans and their "base" view ANY attempts to change our immigration policies that do ANYTHING positive as "Amnesty".

Reply to this post

Response to Proud Liberal Dem (Reply #16)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:28 PM

19. It is amnesty, and amnesty is not a dirty word.

We keep playing defense when we should call them on their bullshit. "It's amnesty," they cry and we start backing up and explaining why it may look like amnesty but it's really not, when we should reply, "Of course it's amnesty, you idiot. Amnesty is a virtue."

Dreamers broke the law by coming to this country without legal permission. The judge says that there were extenuating circumstances and grants them amnesty because of those circumstances. It is all well within the framework of our legal system.

Now, amnesty without those extenuating circumstances is a different thing. Deport the parents who brought them? No, not a good answer, obviously. I'm not sure there is a good answer.

This is what happens when you don't enforce your laws. We've had laws for a long time against entry into this country without permission. We've had laws against employing persons who are not in this country legally. We have not enforced these laws because to do so would have been inconvenient for the businesses that run the country. Now that policy is biting us on the ass and we don't know what to do about it. We do the amnesty thing, as we did back in 1989, and the problem just gets bigger. It was 4 million that time and we are looking at 12 million this time. How many will we be looking at next time?

We did this to ourselves.

Reply to this post

Response to Proud Liberal Dem (Reply #9)

Response to JayhawkSD (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:12 PM

15. Covering the story is one thing

The connection needs to be made about the gops inability or unwillingness to try and run a competent government

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:04 PM

10. Preamble? What Preamble?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:09 PM

13. Too Often, the MSM Resembles Cats Chasing a Laser Pointer

Reply to this post

Response to dlk (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:29 PM

27. Bingo

That's a great analogy. They chase the red spot, not take notice of the source.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:10 PM

14. Also for not reporting how many people without security clearance

had access to to sensitive files.
This is huge.
The whole of the Hillary email investigation centered on the possibility that someone without clearance could access sensitive documents. Now it appears the whole gang of trumpsters has access to information they would not be allowed to have.

Reply to this post

Response to randr (Reply #14)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 01:32 PM

23. How did you learn there were people without security clearances?

Since the media apparently didn't cover it?

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #23)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:37 PM

24. Do you mean when did I learn?

Just recently, and recently I learn that they were mostly vetted last summer and no one has made a big deal out of it until now.

Reply to this post

Response to randr (Reply #24)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:10 PM

25. No, I mean HOW did you learn it? From what source?

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #25)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 06:07 PM

28. Probably NPR

Or MSNBC. Those are only networks I listen to at all, maybe an occasional drift to CNN for brief moments.
And the Daily show, Full Frontal, and Cobert.
I do recall passing references to persons with no clearance but no one was making a big deal.

Reply to this post

Response to randr (Reply #28)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 06:28 PM

29. So, you're blaming the media for not reporting a story you heard on the media...

...that's what I thought.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #29)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 06:31 PM

30. I thing the level of discourse on the subject has just now risen to the level it requires

And the media has been directing the discussion since I was born.
I am not "blaming" the media, I know they follow the bouncing dollar, or tweet, to keep our attention and only answer to the bean counters.
I am merely pointing out that, imho, this is a bit late in being brought to the attention of the public.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:20 PM

17. Corporate owners of the media

want the populace to accept the orange turd and his larcenous party as legitimate leaders.

They don't want to stir up and scare the peasantry.

Reply to this post

Response to not fooled (Reply #17)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:37 PM

22. What corporate media are you watching/reading?

The first segment of the national news is always something about Trump being a Russian agent, or how Trump deserves impeachment and is going to get it any minute because Robert Mueller is right on his heels. The next segment is something about how he is a monster that is supportive of the wife beaters in his White House staff. The third segment is about how he is a Russian puppet who spoke to Putin, ostensibly to offer condolence on the plane crash, but actually to collaborate on the mid-term elections. The fourth segment is to point out that his wife declined to hold his hand as they boarded the helicopter.

I haven't seen a media as virulently opposed to a president since Nixon, and compared to Trump they treated Nixon with love and kisses.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

18. Wonder if the Founding Fathers envisioned the First Amendment to be applied with a profit motive

I sincerely doubt it.

I also don't recall a single mention of the word "capitalism" in our Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence, or the Bill of Rights.

Just sayin'.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:31 PM

20. The entitled media live in a safe bubble.. or think they do

$$$$ eyeballs clicks is all. Not us...not truth.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:32 PM

21. One explanation for their not covering these things in more detail

is that everyday, and often several times a day, the Trump administration commits another outrage that drives the previous outrage off the front page.

MSNBC does a pretty good job covering things, I think.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:11 PM

26. he denies climate change and wants to defund the Weather Service

he truly is sick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread