HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A Reckoning with Women Aw...

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:43 PM

A Reckoning with Women Awaits Trump

February 12, 2018 at 12:07 pm EST By Taegan Goddard

David Remnick: “Trump’s cruel and clueless remarks are of a piece with the tactics he has used to tamp down all his other scandals, miscues, and embarrassments. Just as he tries to divert attention from his, and his circle’s, errors and wrongdoing in the Russia scandal by shouting ‘fake news,’ by casting blame on the F.B.I. and the Justice Department, and by deploying a congressional lackey like Devin Nunes, he diverts attention from his own encyclopedic record of miserable behavior toward women by casting doubt on the accusers.”

This is a neat trick, yet hardly original. It has come to the point when even Trump’s closest aides know that a reckoning is coming. It’s not going to be O.K.”

###

https://politicalwire.com/2018/02/12/reckoning-women-awaits-trump/

14 replies, 786 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Reckoning with Women Awaits Trump (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2018 OP
Ohiogal Feb 2018 #1
brush Feb 2018 #2
Wellstone ruled Feb 2018 #3
Jim Lane Feb 2018 #4
Wellstone ruled Feb 2018 #5
karynnj Feb 2018 #8
Wellstone ruled Feb 2018 #12
karynnj Feb 2018 #13
karynnj Feb 2018 #7
Jim Lane Feb 2018 #10
crazycatlady Feb 2018 #6
Cha Feb 2018 #9
Wounded Bear Feb 2018 #11
lindysalsagal Feb 2018 #14

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:46 PM

1. You BET he's gonna face a reckoning!

We're riled up and can't wait!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ohiogal (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:51 PM

2. Woohoo! We're counting on you, ladies.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 02:05 PM

3. His so called Base

are just as heartless and verbally cruel as he is.

This is Dipstick's badge of courage.

Reply to this post

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:28 PM

4. That's the problem. There'll be no reckoning unless some women CHANGE their minds.

As of November 8, 2016, it was known that Trump had been divorced twice, and that he had cheated on at least one of his wives. It was known that there were multiple allegations of misconduct against him, of varying degrees of severity. The Billy Bush tape had been widely publicized.

With all that in the public record, millions of women voted for Trump anyway.

Is a reckoning coming? Well, there will certainly be some increased enthusiasm among anti-Trump women, and (let's not forget the rest of the Resistance) among the men who don't treat women as objects. But there won't be a real reckoning unless opinions change. The question is whether significant numbers of women who voted for Trump will show up to vote in 2018 and 2020 and say, "Well, all that other stuff was no big deal, boys will be boys, but this Rob Porter thing was just too much."

Frankly, I'm pessimistic. I think Trump will face much more of a reckoning over his failure to drain the swamp, and over the perception that, for all his faux populist rhetoric, he's turned out to be just another plutocrat who serves only the interests of the 1%.

Reply to this post

Response to Jim Lane (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:41 PM

5. As someone who worked

locally in the Dem Campaign,during Q&A with potential Voters and Registered Dems. The Fox News brainwash was coming through stronger as we got closer to Election Day.

The Comey letter on that Friday was a nail in the coffin. The Local Media pounded the hell out of that for 3 days straight. And that was the tipping point.

Always amazed how a Female with the best qualifications looses,and a Fatass Carnival Barger wins.

Reply to this post

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 08:22 AM

8. Do you have an opinion on why Feingold lost to Johnson?

Early on, that seat was seen as one of the most likely to pick up. Given that Feingold numbers fell before that last Comey letter, could it have been the weight of the ads ( and Fox) against the Democrats?

That Feingold, who at least nationally was seen as squeaky clean lost by a bigger margin, it might be that Trump did lose some who voted for the terrible Ron Johnson.

I can't imagine how sickening it was for you and others to see those races shift.

Reply to this post

Response to karynnj (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 04:51 PM

12. My understanding was this,

There was a major Ad buy done by a GOP Pac in the final week that swung several areas. And the Hillary Campaign did not do a Campaign swing thru Wisconsin,Ohio,and Pennsylvania the final weekend. The Business Group Ad seemed to be the real killer.

Reply to this post

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 06:43 PM

13. Thanks. Nt

Reply to this post

Response to Jim Lane (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 08:10 AM

7. Well stated, but there is one other factor even if Trump keeps all his voters

There were people who were either Democrats, lefties, or even politically apothetic who did not vote. If in the last year, they see the damage done, they might come out to vote.

However, it might be important that he loses BIG. At this point, the problem internationally is not just Trump, but that the US elected him. If it is close, the rest of the world may have difficulty trusting a Democratic President. In addition to all the bad legislation affecting the domestic side, his rejecting outright past international agreements creates this problem of the US not being trusted to keep agreements over transitions.

To lose big, you are entirely correct. It is sobering to watch panels of Trump voters. They are all in to an alternative reality. Within their "reality", every prominent Democrat is despicable and a traitor, the FBI, the DOJ, except Sessions, are biased and working to overthrow the President and Trump never lies. One panel I saw on CNN was like hearing believers in a cult speaking. I just hope that these panels were not representative of all Trump voters and tgat there are some voters who voted due to the Supreme Court who might be horrified.

Reply to this post

Response to karynnj (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 02:49 PM

10. I would love it if Trump mobilized some previous nonvoters to vote.

You're right that it would make sense. The problem is that, even before Trump, it has for many years made sense for a lot of those people to vote. The nonvoters are disproportionately those who are getting screwed over by the status quo. They have more to gain from changing it.

We can hope that the factor of international embarrassment that you mention might get some of them involved.

You're also right about their alternative reality. A lot of Republicans still think Obama was re-elected because ACORN stole votes for him, despite ACORN having ceased to exist well before the election. It's frightening.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:42 PM

6. That reckoning will be on 11/6/18

If he thinks we're nasty now, just wait.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 08:30 AM

9. May trump get the Karma

coming to him.. Sooner than later.. and, it's obvious he has a Cosmic Reckoning with Women.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:14 PM

11. I sure hope so...

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 07:16 PM

14. It's an abusive relationship: POTUS & American women. Some don't wake up. They believe they

deserve what they're getting.

That's just one reason I did both womeon's marches in NYC, and will go back out again when asked.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread