HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Are You Feeling Dreamers'...

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 03:34 PM

Are You Feeling Dreamers' Terror Too?

Would really appreciate hearing from you all.

Maybe I'm too empathetic, but I am literally experiencing increased blood pressure and anxiety symptoms.

I can't help putting myself in the shoes of a mother or father worrying 24/7 about being ripped from their life, their homes, their children, their friends, their entire self-identity and treated like a criminal whisked away in an ICE van to a jail-like facility with the sounds of my wailing spouse and children fading in the distance.

I can imagine the explosion of repulsion and anger towards ICE employees/parents willing to do this to me and my family as I exit a plane in another country.

Good grief we invited Dreamers to come out of the shaddows and register. Promises were made.

I will be honest. My reaction to that invitation was "Holy crap, the Feds will know where they and their families live, it could be a trap."

Can you imagine the pain and anxiety Dreamers and their families are enduring this month?

But you and I won't be scooped up like poop and tossed across our border like a sack of trash.

Not today. We are US citizens.

But what is there to guarantee it won't happen in the future when ICE runs out of immigrants?

Perhaps I or my offspring will be targeted like Chinese relatives and friends of the "outspoken" are today. Perhaps my great-grandchild will have to toil at menial labor as punishment because I was an outspoken empathizer.

The sins of parents have been visited on their progeny in the past, and are today in China.

This is what a 21st century Chinese State looks like, from Buzzfeed
https://www.buzzfeed.com/meghara/the-police-state-of-the-future-is-already-here?utm_term=.ewaEAenBe#.khOMeP9LP

Every day the Trump Administration and Congress assault our country and what it has stood for in new ways.

Are they daring us to stand up?

DO WE DARE TO STAND UP? I'm not sure we do, and there lies our fate.

The ball is in our court. What will we do?

40 replies, 2077 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 40 replies Author Time Post
Reply Are You Feeling Dreamers' Terror Too? (Original post)
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 OP
lunasun Feb 2018 #1
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #6
gibraltar72 Feb 2018 #2
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #5
gibraltar72 Feb 2018 #11
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #12
Demsrule86 Feb 2018 #9
Nevernose Feb 2018 #3
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #4
Nevernose Feb 2018 #10
Hortensis Feb 2018 #21
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #14
MichMary Feb 2018 #38
Nevernose Feb 2018 #40
writerJT Feb 2018 #7
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #17
LuckyCharms Feb 2018 #35
writerJT Feb 2018 #37
Demsrule86 Feb 2018 #8
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #16
Demsrule86 Feb 2018 #24
Kirk Lover Feb 2018 #20
Demsrule86 Feb 2018 #22
Blue_Adept Feb 2018 #13
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #15
Blue_Adept Feb 2018 #18
Kirk Lover Feb 2018 #19
ooky Feb 2018 #23
Demsrule86 Feb 2018 #25
american_ideals Feb 2018 #28
Demsrule86 Feb 2018 #34
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 #32
Demsrule86 Feb 2018 #33
RandomAccess Feb 2018 #26
american_ideals Feb 2018 #27
byronius Feb 2018 #29
american_ideals Feb 2018 #30
lunamagica Feb 2018 #31
Name removed Feb 2018 #36
kydo Feb 2018 #39

Response to OhNo-Really (Original post)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:06 PM

1. K & R one zillion

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lunasun (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:37 PM

6. Thank you for kr

Do you feel their terror?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:09 PM

2. I'm feeling my own terror

I can only imagine what they feel. Trump and all the people that back him have absolutely no empathy. They have a party who routinely ignores what the majority of voters want to pacify a party of 1. I can't believe how far we have fallen in such a short time.

Reply to this post

Response to gibraltar72 (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:36 PM

5. What is your terror

My terror is living to be 100.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 05:14 PM

11. My grandson

having to live under a string of tyrants. My country being turned in to a waller for hogs.

Reply to this post

Response to gibraltar72 (Reply #11)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 05:25 PM

12. A reasonable terror

Reply to this post

Response to gibraltar72 (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:45 PM

9. I am so sorry...I wish there was more that Democrats could do...I have called my Senator...but

the problem is the House.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:15 PM

3. Im literally in a room full of Dreamers

The Latino Student club is meeting. Most of them are either citizens or here legally, but they’re all underage. They’re still making plans for the immediate and far future. Potluck next weekend, conference this summer, college and careers after that.

Trump mentions MS13. I’m sitting here and listening to a 17 year old immigrant telling us that she’s been provisionally accepted to Harvard and giving advice to other poor immigrants who want to go to fancy-pants universities. Now they’ve moved on to establishing a tutoring program for recent elementary aged immigrant kids at a nearby elementary school.

This is absolutely the BEST America has to offer. There is nothing more that could be expected from teenagers anywhere. Hearing Trump and the GOP speak about them like they do, such ignorance. Painful, hurtful ignorance. I think when they leave I’m going to cry a little bit.

Reply to this post

Response to Nevernose (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:34 PM

4. Thank you so much

So happy your group is facing deportation, but we have to wonder if a part of them isn't worried about someone they know and care for.

There are millions at risk today.

Thw tutoring program idea is amazing. Selfless service. This is the best.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:58 PM

10. Some of them are DEFINITELY facing deportation

And many of them have relatives that have been deported. Unofficially, anecdotally, it seems to be mostly fathers “caught” at their jobs.

There is an underlying sense of trepidation, but these kids are more resilient than most. I don’t think most people realize how difficult immigrating as a child can be. I’ve been toying with the seed of a doctoral dissertation on the subject for a couple of years now, but then I got all caught up in reading/comparing post-Colonial, post-French education systems and mentally wandered off. Weird hobbies.

The tutoring idea is great, isn’t it? Of course, I’m the one that’s going to be responsible for it. For free. LOL. That’s what I signed up for.

Reply to this post

Response to Nevernose (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 07:06 PM

21. Terrific. I'm glad but not surprised that some of the kids have

the strength to face this bravely, and even as an adventure, if it happens. Some, of course, just can't for so many reasons, and it'll be traumatic for any who have to go.

Long ago now I tutored English composition and economics to mostly immigrant students from all over, and also reading in a municipal program. Many valued the reasons they were in America but, culturally, what was at home far more so. Some were parents who left their children in their home countries, in part for positive reasons but also to protect them from exposure to American culture. Tapping into this love and pride in where they came from, and various cultural differences, was a great way to jog frozen minds onto subjects to write about, often resulting in a lot of new insights from their points of view.

I've thought of that many times as I think of the atrocities and tragedies occurring across the nation. Hopefully some will discover much to be happy about until and if they are able to come back. Far more likely for those who have supportive family to join, of course.

Enjoy. Maybe a great thesis will come out of this, for sure some great experiences.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:09 PM

14. ISN'T ..... that is what I meant

Reply to this post

Response to Nevernose (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 08:55 AM

38. The DREAM act

doesn't apply to these students, since "Most of them are either citizens or here legally." The DREAM act only affects people brought here illegally as children.

Reply to this post

Response to MichMary (Reply #38)

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 08:13 PM

40. Most is not all

And, as I’ve said in other threads, every single one of them — to varying degrees — has been adversely affected by US immigration policy. One underage sibling deported, another allowed to stay; one green card marriage goes through with flying colors, the next requires a DNA sample from the stepson.

And there are sometimes a LOT of kids in that room, so “most” is relative. If forty out of fifty have the correct paperwork, then ten kids still feels like a lot of Dreamers.

That first statement (re: immigration policy) actually applies to most of my immigrant students over the years — everywhere from England to Somalia to Laos to Uzbekistan — but we seem progressively harsher the darker the skin tone. Anecdotal, but I don’t think it’s much of a stretch. No one’s trying to build a wall to keep out Canadians.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:42 PM

7. I see where you are coming from, but honestly

if you are “literally experiencing increased blood pressure and anxiety symptoms” you should address that and take care of it for your own well-being.

Sometimes listening to Trump gets me irritated to the point I can tell my BP is rising, but I would never let any politician or political issue damage my health.

Go for a walk, read a book, do something that you enjoy. Or if you can’t escape this issue for enough time to relax a little, pour your energy into working with a group that helps these people. The worst thing you could do is let this affect your health.

Reply to this post

Response to writerJT (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:15 PM

17. Age and meds

My area is highly air polluted. My BP reacts to particulates as well. Meds work.

I meditate.

Reply to this post

Response to writerJT (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 06:15 AM

35. Being an empath can be a curse

but it is a most excellent quality to have. Distracting from feelings do not make them go away.

Reply to this post

Response to LuckyCharms (Reply #35)

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 08:15 AM

37. Not so much distraction as a more balanced perspective.

No sense in needlessly torturing yourself.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 04:43 PM

8. There is little we can do. We can protest and all...and should. But the truth is the GOP intends to

deport dreamers...they are liars if they say otherwise. The Dems do not have the power to save the Dreamers...if we get even a bad deal unless it ends Medicare or Social Security...some impossible poison pill, we should take it. I doubt a deal will be offered.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:12 PM

16. It sure feels like you are right

2010 was a major Dem f up

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #16)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 09:49 PM

24. Yep...I remember begging people to vote .... and then six years of nothing...no progressive gains.

Democrats have to vote during midterms, stop seeking a presidential savior and have a little patience. We won't get everything we want.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:31 PM

20. Well the optics of the deportations....all the stories will be very very bad for GOP.

Very bad.

Reply to this post

Response to Kirk Lover (Reply #20)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 07:08 PM

22. That is what Schumer said on Rachel's show...he said he would get a vote...but we all know the house

has no intention of voting for anything...thus our only hope is the optics are so bad that the GOP backs down. I would be more in favor of shutting the government down if I thought it would work. But it won't and would only endanger our 2018 and 2020 efforts.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 05:32 PM

13. I am, because it's the start of the "They did X and I did nothing" thing

The things going on will play out in how it'll impact my kids down the line because they don't fit into traditional conservative views of what's normal.

The dreamers issue should have been solved years ago but Congress fucked it all up and Trump made it worse.

But now it's a sign of what other marginalized groups can expect, and there are a lot of us in those groups, from gay to handicapped, etc.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Adept (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:12 PM

15. The elderly

I think that will be the next inconvenience addressed.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #15)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:26 PM

18. They're definitely under fire here. The problem is that they're attacking so many quadrants

that it's diluting the responses as everyone feels under attack.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:29 PM

19. I empathize but I know I cannot even imagine what they are really going through.

This particular act by trashbag tRUMP was disgusting. Purposely putting these people up as collateral so he can 'get everything he wants'. He needs to get his tiny fucking hands off of immigration. We want a clean DACA - and this trashfuck said he wanted one too. THAT IS IT. Clean DACA NOW!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 07:22 PM

23. What Trump is doing to them makes me want to vomit,

as it should any decent, caring human being.

Unfortunately Schumer is probably doing all he can at this point.

What we should do, is get to the polls and cast real votes against it in November, and help these people all we can.

Reply to this post

Response to ooky (Reply #23)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 09:51 PM

25. Yes...lets stop asking (several irritating posts lately) what the 'Democrat leaders' are doing and

send help...warm bodies to take over the House and maybe the Senate majorities. Vote people like you life depended on it because it does.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #25)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 10:09 PM

28. Speak out. Organize. Vote.

Reply to this post

Response to american_ideals (Reply #28)

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 06:11 AM

34. That is what we have to do...also make the dreamers real ...ads about them on tv and internet.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #25)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 11:14 PM

32. I like idea of "Save the Dreamers" rallies where

Citizens surround dreamers so they can be wisked off to safe houses.

An underground railroady type of movement.

Until DC gets their act together.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #32)

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 06:11 AM

33. We have to do something...whisk them off to safe houses sounds good.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 09:56 PM

26. I feel great sadness, a sense of betrayal,

and occasional anxiety attacks.

My heart is breaking for anyone unfairly, unnecessarily deported, and I wish to hell I could figure something else to do.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 10:08 PM

27. Hell NO. ANGER. Extreme ANGER at GOP for damaging American values

This is a country of immigrants. "Bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free".

And the GOP hates immigrants because immigrants vote Dem. If they can kick out immigrants the GOP can hold on to power - and to a majority-white America - for another ten years.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/18/16897358/racism-donald-trump-immigration

Resist. Organize. Vote. Elect a Dem House in 2018 and fix the country.

Reply to this post

Response to american_ideals (Reply #27)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 10:42 PM

29. This.

Last edited Wed Feb 7, 2018, 12:03 AM - Edit history (1)

Nazis with torches chanting outside synagogues, sinister Gestapo hunting 'Others' with MY TAXPAYER DOLLARS-- they've gone Full Monster.

And it makes us weak. It will destroy the United States if this goes on much longer. The damage is already generational.

I don't believe in God. But God Damn Them All To Hell.

Reply to this post

Response to byronius (Reply #29)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 10:46 PM

30. If there is a God, Kelly is going to hell for demonizing hard working immigrants.

And for damaging American values and ideals.

Edit: and last and least: damaging our economy which depends on immigration.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 10:52 PM

31. Wonderful post. Thank you

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 09:12 AM

39. Well yeah, my new son in-law is a Dreamer.

They got married at the court house, no family, just two witnesses. My daughter always wanted a big wedding. But with all this uncertainty, they said fuck it. My SiL was laid off when his workers permit took forever to be renewed. He applied months before the deadline. He finally got it and was re-instated at his job. But they can't live like that.

We are still going to have the wedding. Looks like Nov. I said try for the 11th. Be on 100 year anniversary of Armistice Day. We really should go back to calling it that like the rest of the world.

One good thing I suppose with the dear orange leader wanting big military parade, Nov 11, 2018, really would fit his grandiose ego. All the rethug family members not might show up for the wedding. That would ROCK! My daughter asked the other day, "Do I have to invite the trumpers?" I said yeah, they are family but it is in Nov, many want come and they have money so you will get good gifts.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread