HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Utah Lowest Snowpack in 3...

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 12:53 PM

Utah Lowest Snowpack in 30 Years

There is no snow on the ground in Salt Lake, zero. My friends haven't shovelled snow this year.

Their son ripped his leg open on a rock while snowboarding, it is that bad at the ski resorts.

But, hey there are hundreds of new housing developments springing up every month. I worry about my Utah friends.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/12/26/utah-snowpack-lowest-in-30-years-in-many-mountain-locations/

3 replies, 620 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Utah Lowest Snowpack in 30 Years (Original post)
OhNo-Really Feb 2018 OP
triron Feb 2018 #1
Miigwech Feb 2018 #2
bluedigger Feb 2018 #3

Response to OhNo-Really (Original post)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 01:01 PM

1. yeah, well nearly no snowpack in NM

I have never seen it this dry around here (virtually no snow in Sandia and Manzano mtns near Albuquerque).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 02:00 PM

2. Utah skiing

Loved to ski in Utah and for many years, did so. I stopped because the air pollution in Park City was sooooo bad. At the top of the peak at around 11,000 Feet, the air was clean but looking down the mountain was a brown haze covering everything. It was hard to breathe. So, we stopped going to Utah. No snow is bad too, sorry.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 02:09 PM

3. They're blaming La Nina here in the 4C.

One of the major dictators of weather in Southwest Colorado turns out to be surface water temperatures in the eastern-central Pacific Ocean that come in cycles known as the “El Niño-Southern Oscillation climate pattern.”

When surface water temperatures are warmer than normal, that kicks of an El Niño year, which can bring wetter-than-average conditions to the Southwestern U.S., depending on the strength of the El Niño, as well as other factors.

Yet El Niño’s seemingly evil counterpart – La Niña – occurs when surface water temperatures in the Pacific Ocean are colder than normal by about 3 to 5 degrees, Cuoco said.

As of Sunday, Southwest Colorado’s snowpack is at 34 percent of normal averages, while the Colorado, North and South Platte, and Yampa river basins are experiencing upwards of 75 percent of normal snowpack.

https://the-journal.com/articles/83934-la-nia-isnt-going-anywhere-anytime-soon

We got a dusting this morning, but it's already melted. Snow up on the sides of the mesa and bare ground down in the valley.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread