HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If you know someone that...

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 06:04 PM

If you know someone that only has a green card, tell them to apply for citizenship ASAP

A family friend of ours who only have a green card made the mistake of assuming that it was "permanent" and are now in trouble for some reason, I don't know what exactly but it's heartbreaking to see their family getting ripped apart by this. Trump is completely fucking up immigration laws to the point now that even green card holders can be deported for the slightest mistakes. Tell them to get US citizenship ASAP!

7 replies, 814 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply If you know someone that only has a green card, tell them to apply for citizenship ASAP (Original post)
ansible Jan 2018 OP
jberryhill Jan 2018 #1
Kirk Lover Jan 2018 #2
Phentex Jan 2018 #3
OnDoutside Jan 2018 #6
LexVegas Jan 2018 #4
KT2000 Jan 2018 #5
OnDoutside Jan 2018 #7

Response to ansible (Original post)

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 06:09 PM

1. green card holders can be deported for the slightest mistakes

That's unfortunately true, but applying for citizenship will start a process by which such mistakes may be made apparent. So, I'm not sure that's good advice.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jberryhill (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 06:15 PM

2. Good advice about the advice given. But fucked up any of it needs to be given at all. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 06:24 PM

3. ASAP won't happen...

co worker just became a citizen after nearly FIVE years of starting the process. I went with her to take her citizenship test last May. All that was left was a final review and the swearing in. She got the notice to appear in late December and was sworn-in in early January. She is educated, has a great job, is married to a US citizen and has never been in any legal trouble of any kind. And it took five years because....I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's because she is a Muslim. But not from one of the Muslim countries on the list.

Reply to this post

Response to Phentex (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 07:50 PM

6. No, I believe 5 years is standard.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 06:55 PM

4. "assuming that it was "permanent""

Reply to this post

Response to LexVegas (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 07:47 PM

5. it may have been

a friend has permanent green card, though she must report every few years. It was a status given Chinese who came here right after Tiananmen Square in China.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 07:52 PM

7. They should invest in an experienced immigration lawyer before they do anything else.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread