HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Hawaii governor didn't co...

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 02:54 PM

Hawaii governor didn't correct missile alert because he forgot Twitter password

Doh!

When Hawaii pushed out a ballistic missile alert earlier this month, Gov. David Ige knew within two minutes it was a false alarm. But he couldn't hop on Twitter and tell everybody -- because he didn't know his password.

"I have to confess that I don't know my Twitter account login and passwords," Ige told reporters Monday after giving his State of the State address. "I will be putting that on my phone."

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency issued the alert -- sent to cell phones and broadcast on the airwaves there -- at 8:07 a.m. on January 13. A state official told Ige two minutes later it was false, CNN affiliate KHNL reports.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/national/hawaii-governor-didnt-correct-missile-alert-because-he-forgot-twitter-password

6 replies, 578 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hawaii governor didn't correct missile alert because he forgot Twitter password (Original post)
Henry Krinkle Jan 2018 OP
jberryhill Jan 2018 #1
samnsara Jan 2018 #2
dewsgirl Jan 2018 #3
procon Jan 2018 #4
NCTraveler Jan 2018 #5
Blue Owl Jan 2018 #6

Response to Henry Krinkle (Original post)

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 02:59 PM

1. That's hardly an excuse

Having received an emergency alert, and assuming an actual emergency, then whether someone is posting something else on a presumably hacked Twitter account in the event of an attack is no substitute for issuing an all clear via the emergency alert system itself.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 03:03 PM

2. i can never remember any of mine! and under pressure I may even forget my name..

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 03:17 PM

3. Couldn't he have just changed it? Of course he would likely need his email password.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 03:19 PM

4. Arrgh... and the dog ate his work?

He could have delegated the task of putting out a Twitter msg to anyone in his government... did he not know anyone to call? He could have called the news media to put out a update... he didn't do that either. If the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency issued the alert, he could have told them to send out the correction... he didn't.

WTF was he doing all that time?

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 23, 2018, 05:41 PM

6. Until we tweet again...

...don't know where, don't know when...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread