HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Washington Post data repo...

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 09:10 AM

Washington Post data reporter uncovered a stunningly hypocritical error message on Trump's website

That’s right, Trump’s website has an error message ready for launch that inexplicably and erroneously blames Barack Obama, who is retired, for playing too much golf—all while the current occupant of the White House has spent roughly 90 days this year playing golf.

This has to be a made up, right?

[link:https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/12/28/1728221/-Washington-Post-data-reporter-uncovered-a-stunningly-hypocritical-error-message-on-Trump-s-website|

8 replies, 4063 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Washington Post data reporter uncovered a stunningly hypocritical error message on Trump's website (Original post)
Soph0571 Dec 2017 OP
TBA Dec 2017 #1
infullview Dec 2017 #4
Yavin4 Dec 2017 #5
localroger Dec 2017 #6
alp227 Dec 2017 #7
localroger Dec 2017 #8
kinghov Dec 2017 #2
Scarsdale Dec 2017 #3

Response to Soph0571 (Original post)

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 09:56 AM

1. If that is JavaScript (And it appears to be) there is an error.

The equality operator is ==, a single = os assignment. So it should be ... if (errorCode == '500').

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TBA (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 10:52 AM

4. Good catch!

I'm a developer and I breezed right past this without scrutinizing the syntax. BTW if you follow the link shown in this tweet you'll notice that the choices for approval rating on tRump is missing "Poor" while it is there for Obama. Nothing like trying to skew the results to bolster the Yuge ego.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 10:54 AM

5. No. See the correct code below

POTUS = 'Hillary Clinton'

There. I fixed it.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 11:31 AM

6. It's not just wrong, it's also strange

The programmer appears to be testing a specific error code (500) which isn't named or documented -- generally poor form, because what does 500 mean? Well the error message in addition to being uselessly snarky is just generally uselessly vague. I assume it's working against some kind of framework for transferring data to or from the server, but even if you got rid of the snark and fixed the equality operator, it would still be useless for troubleshooting.

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 12:23 PM

8. Then the message should explain that

Especially the "it's us not your PC" part.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 10:29 AM

2. Unlike Obama???

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 29, 2017, 10:46 AM

3. Unfortunately

he is the polar opposite of President Obama. President Obama had intelligence, class, diplomacy, a loving family, worldwide respect and was a handsome devil!! The orange anus is repulsive, dumb, uncouth and married a gold digging nude "model". Seems that the rest of the gop is just fine with that. Luckily he did not run as a democratic candidate, they would have crucified him. I wonder what dirt he has on them to keep them in line? I hope he enjoys golfing with his Russian buddies, while nobody is checking the guest list (non existant) at his golden shithouse in Florida?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread