HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » getting voters to the pol...

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 01:54 PM

getting voters to the polls has been our biggest obstacle right? So my thought is

how can we start the long process of changing this? In future elections this is has to be one of our goals. But how is it possible? Starting in the states we do have control we need to pass some rules to help. I guess what i'm asking is HOW can we get more of our people to the poles. IF we come up with a plan it will stop Repubs in there tracks!!! There plan is to STOP voters so we got to counter that. In states we have control we can change some rules hopefully this will spread to other states if they work out GREAT. We are smarter than the Repubs i know that, so any answers?

6 replies, 717 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply getting voters to the polls has been our biggest obstacle right? So my thought is (Original post)
bluestarone Dec 2017 OP
pimpbot Dec 2017 #1
Squinch Dec 2017 #2
Willie Pep Dec 2017 #3
WorkDoctor Dec 2017 #4
bluestarone Dec 2017 #5
crazycatlady Dec 2017 #6

Response to bluestarone (Original post)

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 02:00 PM

1. Early Voting

1. Early Voting - Open polls the entire week prior. Extend hours the weekend prior to election day.

2. Mail in voting - Downside is GOP dirty tricks. Losing ballots, etc.

3. Same day voter registration.

With mail in voting it would be great for a GOTV campaign to target those who are to lazy to vote or do not care. Find an issue they do care about and give them a ballot and ensure they put it in the mail.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 02:01 PM

2. You can get lists of registered Democrats in your area. I am planning to do some postcards and

door-knocking to those lists. I'm not sure if you can get information on who doesn't generally vote in the mid-terms, but if you can, I will be concentrating on them.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 02:03 PM

3. I think voter registration campaigns are important.

Plus we should get involved with campaigns. Most local Democratic offices would love to have more volunteers. In order to end voter suppression we need to get Democrats into office especially at the state level. For example, the office of secretary of state is a massively important office in most states when it comes to voting rights but it is not a very high-profile office like governor so a lot of people don't pay attention to it. But we need to win more secretary of state offices to end GOP voter suppression.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 02:47 PM

4. vote by mail

works like a charm in WA state

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 03:21 PM

5. ok some won't like this but just a thought ok?

The special interest groups pay off the Repubs right? So IF WE CONTROL RULES IN CERTAIN STATES can we not give something like state gift certificate for I VOTED STICKERS? something to be spent instate! feel free to jump on me! I'm sure someone will say the Repubs will get it too, but i still like it for starters?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 03:31 PM

6. The people who tend not to vote are the ones that politicians least pay attention to

An example is young voters. There's an issue that disproportionally affects them-- the cost of college and student debt.

While this was in the platform of the Democratic Party, very few politicians actually talk about it. A candidate needs to show people that they actually care about people like them.

Talking about Grandma's Medicare on a college campus won't win you any votes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread