One major reason I support Sanders primarily rather than Clinton 29 recs : By Triana
Here is the info on the man who killed Cecil, the lion in Kenya. 22 recs : By Are_grits_groceries
Obama: If I Ran for a Third Term, I Could Win 21 recs : By kpete
Darling of the Drug War: Hillary Clinton Campaign Funded by Private Prison Lobby 14 recs : By Katashi_itto
The absolute worst advice we give to Americans struggling to pay rent 12 recs : By ashling
What's Wrong With This Picture? 199 recs : By kpete
Let me be very blunt and tell you why I am running. 130 recs : By L0oniX
The Rude Pundit - American Has Become a Second Amendment Death Cult 128 recs : By meegbear
As Far Away As London, They are 'Feeling the Bern'! 85 recs : By sabrina 1
The Left Column
(TPM) A group of white passengers in trucks with waving Confederate flags reportedly interrupted a black child's birthday party in Douglasville, Georgia on Saturday, according to The Atlanta Journal Constitution.
A woman shared videos on Facebook that shows seven trucks leaving her property, where they were parked. The birthday party was taking place at a residence near the field of the woman who shared the video, according to The Atlanta Constitution.
(The Daily Beast) Donald Trump introduced his presidential campaign to the world with a slur against Mexican immigrants, accusing them of being “rapists” and bringing crime into the country.
“I mean somebody’s doing it!… Who’s doing the raping?” Donald Trump said, when asked to defend his characterization.
It was an unfortunate turn of phrase for Trump—in more ways than one. Not only does the current frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination have a history of controversial remarks about sexual assault, but as it turns out, his ex-wife Ivana Trump once used “rape” to describe an incident between them in 1989. She later said she felt “violated” by the experience.
(KOIN) More than a quarter million sockeye salmon returning from the ocean to spawn are either dead or dying in the Columbia River and its tributaries due to warming water temperatures.
“The fish are not looking in good condition,” fisherman Nick Blevins told KOIN 6 News. “Some of them will have lesions on them from the scars they get.”
(NYT) The story – a Times exclusive — appeared high on the home page and the mobile app late Thursday and on Friday and then was displayed with a three-column headline on the front page in Friday’s paper. The online headline read “Criminal Inquiry Sought in Hillary Clinton’s Use of Email,” very similar to the one in print.
But aspects of it began to unravel soon after it first went online. The first major change was this: It wasn’t really Mrs. Clinton directly who was the focus of the request for an investigation. It was more general: whether government information was handled improperly in connection with her use of a personal email account.
(Huffington Post) Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Saturday invoked the specter of the Holocaust to criticize President Barack Obama for his decision to negotiate with Iran over its nuclear program.
“This president’s foreign policy is the most feckless in American history. It is so naive that he would trust the Iranians. By doing so, he will take the Israelis and march them to the door of the oven," Huckabee said in an interview with Breitbart News.
(The Guardian) Barack Obama wrapped up his visit to Kenya on Sunday with a strong condemnation of female genital mutilation and other “bad traditions” that treat women as second-class citizens, in a speech that also a offered a poignant glimpse into his African heritage.
The US president, whose ancestry has at times been a politically awkward part of his identity, looked at ease as he embraced his status as a “Kenyan American” in a major speech that also condemned corruption, tribalism and terrorism.
(CNN) Rick Perry said in an interview Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union" that the shooting in Lafayette, Louisiana, earlier this week shows why gun-free zones are "a bad idea" and said he believes people should be able to take their firearms to the movies.
"I think that it makes a lot of sense to send a message across this country," Perry said when asked by host Jake Tapper if the former governor believed a way to prevent such violence would be to allow moviegoers to take guns inside. "If we believe in the Second Amendment, and we believe in people's right to protect themselves and defend themselves, and their families."
Squee alert! San Antonio Zoo welcomes three African lion cubs Texas : By TexasTowelie
Thirteen puppies play tug of war Pets : By shenmue
Newfoundland dog demands a belly rub The DU Lounge : By Yavin4
Everyone should read 'The Time Cellar' by our own DFW! The DU Lounge : By panader0
- The Preface to the Pope's Encyclical on Climate Change
- The last thing UK Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
- Why I moved to America by Yumi Nakata
- Does Media Coverage After a Mass Shooting Do More Harm Than Good?
- Obamacare works in California. Here's why.
- Georgia claims that publishing its state laws for free online is 'terrorism'
- The Deplorable Conditions One Whistleblower Witnessed At A Family Detention Center
- Huckabee Last Seen Running from Men with Nets Before Entering Fox News Building
- Ugly History Of Racism Dogs Texas County Where Sandra Bland Died
- Thawing Relations: Cuba’s Deeper (More Challenging) Significance
- How serious is the Clinton email controversy?
- LIVE VIDEO NOW: Hillary Clinton hosts her second New Hampshire town hall meeting
- The reason why Hillary is accepting(*) SuperPac money is not because she likes Citizens United.
- Video: Lincoln Chafee needles Clinton - Iraq war vote 'created all the problems'
- 1 Statistic That Should Unnerve Bernie Sanders.
- One major reason I support Sanders primarily rather than Clinton
- Will Hillary Clinton Adopt Hedgie Billionaire John Arnold’s Schemes for Retirement Insecurity?
- Why doesn't the Bernie movement win more congressional races?
- Darling of the Drug War: Hillary Clinton Campaign Funded by Private Prison Lobby
- Chart Shows The Differences Between Three Dem Candidates On Climate
- Anti-gay nut Gordon Klingenschmitt: Boy Scouts "should be drowned" for allowing gay leaders
- In Bid to Take Attention from Trump, Other Fifteen Hopefuls Release Joint Sex Tape - Borowitz writes
- OK we know ReTHUGs are really really dumb but the stupid questions
- Mitsubishi Heavy Says Edison Claims $7.57 Billion in Damages (San Onofre NGS)
- Health Insurance Rewards Card
- Obama administration snubs request for Snowden pardon
- House Benghazi panel says State Deptartment to hand over documents today
- The money in the Iran nuclear weapons deal . . . Let's get it straight.
- U.S. Homeownership Rate Falls to the Lowest Level Since the 1960s
- I will never vote for anyone who trusted Bush to wage war but refuses to trust Obama to wage peace.
- Israel/Palestine: Huckabee's gas chamber reference to Iran deal draws Israeli criticism
- Foreign Affairs: Le Pen father gets French court victory over daughter
- Science: Autism: Sharp spike in cases a result of shifting diagnosis methods, researchers say
- Education: At what age does hard work make lousy rewards appealing?
- Bernie Sanders: Bernie Sanders’ Grassroots Movement Reaches Gainesville - Alligator
- Environment & Energy: Yet another study finds that reducing carbon emissions saves Americans money
- Gun Control & RKBA: Congress seeks to lift gun ban at military outposts despite army's concerns
- Addiction & Recovery: I'm listening to the Diane Rehm show and "Stacey" called in saying she's an addict...
- Women's Rights & Issues: Get fkn real dept: Palin attacks PP in defense od racist symbol
- History of Feminism: Here's an idiot: WND pundit Patrice Lewis says feminists want to "sacrifice your kids to sex gods"
- Wyoming: Jackson: Town to look into how LBGT law would work
- District of Columbia: 'Synthetic Marijuana' Actually Has Very Little In Common With Marijuana
- Canada: Heads up, Canada! Ridings are being redistricted.
- Massachusetts: 2 Mass. gaming panel staffers to step down
- Texas: Texas Prosecutor Names Committee To Review Sandra Bland Case
- New Mexico: Banana peel thrower says Chappelle insulted him at police station
- Wisconsin: Walker: If women seeking an abortion see their ultrasound, odds are pretty high they will keep baby
- California: Amber Alert Issued for Two Children in Oceanside
- Louisiana: Lafayette theater gunman was not involuntarily committed, didn’t enter database restriction gun righ
- Latin America: Noam Chomsky Says US Turned to Cuba Due to Increasing Isolation
Latest Breaking News
5 min ago - oyce Mitchell, a tailor shop instructor at Clinton Correctional Facility, was jailed shortly after the elaborately staged June 6 escape of Richard Matt and David Sweat. Matt was shot and killed by searchers June 26, about 30 miles west of the prison; ... (U.S. News & World Report)
7 min ago - Washington (CNN)A top adviser to Donald Trump apologized Tuesday for comments he made in an explosive interview while defending the Republican presidential candidate from a decades-old rape accusation. Michael Cohen, special counsel to Trump and an ... (CNN)
28 min ago - A U.S. appeals court on Tuesday mostly upheld a major federal environmental regulation requiring some states to limit pollution that contributes to unhealthy air in neighboring states. The U.S. Court of appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit r ... (Reuters)
42 min ago - Markets | Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17am EDT NEW YORK U.S. consumer confidence weakened in July, due in part to a less optimistic outlook on the labor market, according to a private sector report released on Tuesday. The Conference Board, an industry ... (Reuters)
45 min ago - Housing market increasingly appears to be regaining strength after a long, uneven recovery By Laura Kusisto July 28, 2015 9:01 a.m. ET Home prices made solid gains in May, according to a report released Tuesday, as the housing market increasin ... (The Wall Street Journal.)
59 min ago - By Jesse Byrnes Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker criticized Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton on Tuesday for favoring “big-labor special interests.” In an op-ed for The Des Moines Register, the GOP presidential candidate said that Clin ... (The Hill)
1 hr ago - The head of Turkey's pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), which President Tayyip Erdogan has accused of links with "terrorist groups", on Tuesday denied any wrongdoing and said his group faced punishment simply for its electoral success. "We ... (Reuters)
1 hr ago - The amount of THC, one of the active components of marijuana, in Bland's system was 18 micrograms per liter, according to the report released Monday. That's more than three times the legal limit for drivers in Colorado and Washington, states that per ... (Fox News quoting Associated Press item/ interview)
1 hr ago - West Long Branch, NJ – Donald Trump holds a sizable edge in the Monmouth University Poll of likely New Hampshire Republican presidential primary voters, with a 2-to-1 edge over his nearest rival Jeb Bush. When second choices are taken into account, T ... (Monmouth University)
3 hrs ago - Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, one of India’s most renowned rocket scientists who served as the nation’s 11th President, died of cardiac arrest on Monday at the age of 83. Kalam was hospitalized after collapsing during a lecture in the northea ... (Time)
3 hrs ago - A court in Libya has sentenced Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of deposed leader Col Muammar Gaddafi, and eight others to death over war crimes linked to the 2011 revolution. More than 30 close associates of Col Gaddafi were tried for suppressing peacefu ... (BBC)
5 hrs ago - The "smoking gun" is a 1927 version of the "Happy Birthday" lyrics, predating Warner/Chappell's 1935 copyright by eight years. That 1927 songbook, along with other versions located through the plaintiffs' investigations, "conclusively prove that any ... (Ars Technica)
6 hrs ago - SANTA CRUZ >> After more than 24 hours of searching for a missing 8-year-old girl in Santa Cruz, Madyson “Maddy” Middleton was found dead in a dumpster behind the Tannery Arts Center just before 8 p.m., Santa Cruz Police Chief Kevin Vogel said ... (Santa Cruz Sentinel)
7 hrs ago - Law professor and former New York gubernatorial candidate Zephyr Teachout is taking over Mayday PAC, the pro-campaign finance reform group founded by Harvard law professor Larry Lessig. Teachout announced the news on Twitter Monday, writing, “I’m ta ... (Politico)
8 hrs ago - The International Olympic Committee said Tuesday it was "confident" the US could find a "strong candidate" to host the 2024 Games, despite Boston pulling out of the contest shortly before a mid-September nomination deadline. Latest update : 2015-07- ... (Agence France-Presse)
10 hrs ago - SALEM, Ore. -- Authorities in Oregon are investigating suspicious packages sent to government buildings around the state. Oregon State Police said Monday that some of the packages contained an unknown substance. Police did not say how many packages ... (AP)
11 hrs ago - Venezuela's currency is entering free fall mode. Having tumbled beyond the 500 per dollar mark in the black market at the start of the month, and then the 600 mark just eight days later, the bolivar is now within sight of crashing through the 700 ba ... (Financial Times)
11 hrs ago - Vulnerabilities discovered in the Stagefright media playback engine that is native to Android devices could be the mobile world’s equivalent to Heartbleed. Almost all Android devices contain the security and implementation issues in question; unpatch ... (Threat Post)
12 hrs ago - Musk, Hawking, Wozniak: Ban AI warfare, autonomous weapons By Bill Howard on July 27, 2015 at 4:40 pm More than a thousand researchers, AI experts, and high-profile business leaders say war is getting out of hand and we should ban “offensive autonom ... (Extreme Tech)
12 hrs ago - GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says the United States must acknowledge a “painful” history of racial discrimination that still affects many minorities. Rubio told reporters in South Carolina on Monday that the ... (ASSOCIATED PRESS)
13 hrs ago - The Arizona Cardinals are believed to be the first team in the NFL to hire a female coach after adding Jen Welter to their staff Monday as a training camp and preseason coaching intern. Darren Urban reported the news via the Cardinals' official webs ... (Bleacher Report)
13 hrs ago - NEW YORK (Reuters) - A successful New York elementary school principal who took her own life had forged standardized English exam scores for her third grade students, the city's Department of Education said on Monday. Jeanene Worrell-Breeden, 49, wh ... (Yahoo! News / Reuters)
13 hrs ago - Ivana Trump once accused the real estate tycoon of ‘rape,’ although she later clarified: not in the ‘criminal sense.’ Donald Trump introduced his presidential campaign to the world with a slur against Mexican immigrants, accusing them of being “rapis ... (Daily Beast)
13 hrs ago - OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Oklahoma's Supreme Court on Monday said the state must remove a Ten Commandments stone monument first placed at its Capitol in 2012, rejecting an appeal to reconsider an earlier decision. The justices denied a request by th ... (Yahoo! News / Reuters)
13 hrs ago - Fifa president Sepp Blatter deserves a Nobel Prize, says Russian president Vladimir Putin. World football's governing body is engulfed in a corruption crisis, including an investigation into the award of the 2018 World Cup to Russia. "People like Mr ... (BBC)
13 hrs ago - ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Researchers may never solve the recent deaths of 18 endangered whales whose carcasses were found floating near Alaska's Kodiak Island, a scientist working on the case said Monday. Samples taken from one of the 10 fin whales ... (AP)
14 hrs ago - SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (AP) — The mother of a missing 8-year-old girl pleaded for her safe return Monday as search efforts grew to include federal authorities. Madyson Middleton vanished Sunday afternoon from an artist community and housing center in a ... (AP)
14 hrs ago - True crime writer Ann Rule, who wrote more than 30 books, including a profile of her former co-worker, serial killer Ted Bundy, has died at 83. Rule died at Highline Medical Center, south of Seattle, at 10:30 p.m. Sunday, said Scott Thompson, a spo ... (CBS News)
14 hrs ago - By KIMBERLY PIERCEALL LAS VEGAS (AP) — Firefighters said Monday that fake palm trees and high winds fueled a poolside fire on a rooftop at The Cosmopolitan on the Las Vegas Strip over the weekend, a blaze that sent guests running and plumes of black ... (AP)
15 hrs ago - Boy Scout board approves end to blanket ban on gay adults BY DAVID CRARY JUL. 27, 2015 7:32 PM EDT NEW YORK (AP) — The Boy Scouts of America on Monday ended its blanket ban on gay adult leaders while allowing church-sponsored Scout units to maintai ... (Associated Press)
- My Subscriptions
- AFL-CIO Now
- All Spin Zone
- All Things Democrat
- American Street
- Atlantic Free Press
- Big Head DC
- Blogging of the Pres
- Bluegrass Report
- Bluegrass Roots
- Blue Indiana
- Blue Mass. Group
- Bob Geiger
- BRAD Blog
- Brendan Calling
- Buckeye State Blog
- Burnt Orange Report
- Capitol Annex
- Carpetbagger Report
- Chris Floyd
- Clay Cane
- Cliff Schecter
- Comments from Left Field
- Confined Space
- Cotton Mouth
- Crooks and Liars
- culture kitchen
- Daily Gotham
- Daily Kos
- David Corn
- Dem Bloggers
- Deride and Conquer
- Drudge Retort
- Ed Cone
- Egberto Willies
- ePluribus Media
- Ezra Klein
- Fired Up
- First Draft
- Green Mountain Daily
- Greg Palast
- Horse's Ass
- Hughes for America
- In Search of Utopia
- Is That Legal?
- Jesus' General
- Jon Swift
- Juan Cole
- Keystone Politics
- Las Vegas Gleaner
- Latino Pundit
- Lawyers, Guns and Money
- Left Coaster
- Left in the West
- Liberal Avenger
- Liberal Oasis
- Loaded Orygun
- Make Them Accountable
- Matthew Yglesias
- Media Girl
- Michigan Liberal
- Minnesota Campaign Report
- Minnesota Monitor
- My Left Nutmeg
- My Left Wing
- My Two Sense
- Nathan Newman
- Nevada Today
- News Corpse
- News Dissector
- News Hounds
- Oliver Willis
- Pam's House Blend
- People's Rep. of Seabrook
- Political Animal
- Political Wire
- Poor Man Institute
- Prairie State Blue
- Progressive Historians
- Raising Kaine
- Raw Story
- Reno Discontent
- Republic of T
- Rhode Island's Future
- Rochester Turning
- Rocky Mountain Report
- Rod 2.0
- Rox Populi
- Rude Pundit
- Sadly, No!
- Satirical Political Report
- Seeing The Forest
- Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
- Smirking Chimp
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Swing State Project
- Talking Points Memo
- Talk Left
- Taylor Marsh
- Tattered Coat
- Texas Kaos
- The Albany Project
- The Blue State
- The Democratic Daily
- The Hollywood Liberal
- The Reaction
- The Talent Show
- This Modern World
- Town Called Dobson
- Turn Maine Blue
- Uppity Wisconsin
- War and Piece
- Watching the Watchers
- West Virginia Blue
- Young Philly Politics
- Young Turks