As a person of color, I prioritize class-based issues. I won't apologize for my beliefs. 28 recs : By gobears10
True crime author Ann Rule dead at 83 21 recs : By sufrommich
Random act of kindness rebounds big time 16 recs : By 1monster
Got a snail mail DNC survey. Can you guess how I responded? 14 recs : By L0oniX
He's mad as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore. 145 recs : By MannyGoldstein
What's Wrong With This Picture? 132 recs : By kpete
Mika B. just sounded off, royally pissed, on Morning JOe just now... 121 recs : By CTyankee
Ring of Fire’s Official Position on Bernie and Hillary 121 recs : By LiberalArkie
The Left Column
(Huffington Post) Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Saturday invoked the specter of the Holocaust to criticize President Barack Obama for his decision to negotiate with Iran over its nuclear program.
“This president’s foreign policy is the most feckless in American history. It is so naive that he would trust the Iranians. By doing so, he will take the Israelis and march them to the door of the oven," Huckabee said in an interview with Breitbart News.
(The Guardian) Barack Obama wrapped up his visit to Kenya on Sunday with a strong condemnation of female genital mutilation and other “bad traditions” that treat women as second-class citizens, in a speech that also a offered a poignant glimpse into his African heritage.
The US president, whose ancestry has at times been a politically awkward part of his identity, looked at ease as he embraced his status as a “Kenyan American” in a major speech that also condemned corruption, tribalism and terrorism.
(CNN) Rick Perry said in an interview Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union" that the shooting in Lafayette, Louisiana, earlier this week shows why gun-free zones are "a bad idea" and said he believes people should be able to take their firearms to the movies.
"I think that it makes a lot of sense to send a message across this country," Perry said when asked by host Jake Tapper if the former governor believed a way to prevent such violence would be to allow moviegoers to take guns inside. "If we believe in the Second Amendment, and we believe in people's right to protect themselves and defend themselves, and their families."
(Politico) “We’re not going to have adequate coverage for our children or our grandchildren without Medicare. I paid into that for years and years just like all these other seniors here and now you want to take it away?” said the woman, who did not identify herself and left before the town hall concluded.
“Why are you always attacking the seniors?”
“Well, I’m not,” Bush responded. “Here’s what I said: I said we’re going to have to reform our entitlement system. We have to.”
“It’s not an entitlement,” the woman shot back. “I earned that.”
(NBC News) Hillary Clinton strongly defended Planned Parenthood Thursday as the women's health organization reels from the fallout over a sting video released by anti-abortion activists earlier this month.
"For more than a century, Planned Parenthood has provided essential services for women," Clinton said while campaigning at a community college in Greenville, South Carolina. "And I think it is unfortunate that Planned Parenthood has been the object of such a concerted attack for so many years. And it's really an attack against a woman's right to chose."
(MSNBC) “The left needs to join the conversation, but they haven’t. I mean, when came up with, one of his proposals as it relates to Medicare, the first thing I saw was a TV ad of a guy that looked just like Paul Ryan … that was pushing an elderly person off the cliff in a wheelchair. That’s their response.
“And I think we need to be vigilant about this and persuade people that our, when your volunteers go door to door, and they talk to people, people understand this. They know, and I think a lot of people recognize that we need to make sure we fulfill the commitment to people that have already received the benefits, that are receiving the benefits. But that we need to figure out a way to phase out this program for others and move to a new system that allows them to have something – because they’re not going to have anything.”
(Politico) Cotton said that Kerry, who is appearing before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Thursday to sell lawmakers on the agreement, “acted like Pontius Pilate” by not drawing a line.
“He washed his hands, kicked it to the IAEA, knowing that Congress would not get this information unless someone went out to find it,” he said, noting allegations that Iran has tested nuclear detonators at its Parchin facility. (Iran has denied the accusations, but has so far refused to allow IAEA inspectors full access.)
Everyone should read 'The Time Cellar' by our own DFW! The DU Lounge : By panader0
Hitchhiking Robot Embarks on U.S. Vacation Science : By Panich52
The annual ritual . . . Photography : By flamin lib
- Obamacare works in California. Here's why.
- Georgia claims that publishing its state laws for free online is 'terrorism'
- The Deplorable Conditions One Whistleblower Witnessed At A Family Detention Center
- Huckabee Last Seen Running from Men with Nets Before Entering Fox News Building
- Ugly History Of Racism Dogs Texas County Where Sandra Bland Died
- Thawing Relations: Cuba’s Deeper (More Challenging) Significance
- US Propaganda on Crimea Misleading, But 'Understandably' So - French MP
- July 22, 2015 AP Article -- Kris Kobach should help count the votes accurately in Kansas
- Green-Peace: 12 Photos That Changed the World
- Maine-made Farm Goods Soon Will Wind Their Way to Boston By Schooner
- As a person of color, I prioritize class-based issues. I won't apologize for my beliefs.
- Personnel Is Policy for the Left on Wall Street Reform.
- Bernie Sanders beats Bush, Trump and Walker in a head-to-head match-up (CNN, July 26)
- Rachael on fire for Bernie Sanders crowds in RED STATES!! Woot!
- Hillary Clinton Refuses to Take a Position on the Keystone Pipeline
- Hillary Clinton campaign redirects email blowback at GOP
- Let's Give the Republicans Something to Worry About
- Ed Schultz not giving up. He's still promoting Bernie Sanders in spite of being canceled.
- How Hillary Clinton's Climate Change Plan Stands Up To Martin O'Malley's.
- Senator Hillary Clinton: "yea"
- Oil prices down to around $47/barrel Prices at the pumps unchanged ... record profits again
- Does this make sense to anyone else, or just ME?
- Remember Joe Wilson yelled that President Barack Obama was a liar during the State of the Union
- Schumer has decided to vote NO on Iran deal: NYC local news
- So if a candidate doesn't make it into the FOX debates, so what? Why does that keep one from
- Let's be clear; No one in the GOP Clown Car expects to be elected.
- A peek inside Michael Bloomberg's new $26M London home
- White People With Confederate Flags Crash Black Child's Birthday Party
- Skinny the cat sheds the pounds
- “You cannot rape your spouse. And there’s very clear case law.” says Trump's counsel
- Gun Control & RKBA: A recent gun nut talking point.
- Asian Group: MegaStructures - Kansai International Airport (National Geographic Documentary)
- Bernie Sanders: Bernie Sanders Is a Loud, Stubborn Socialist. Republicans Like Him Anyway.
- Israel/Palestine: As Jews Mourn Destruction of Temples, Palestinian Authority Denies They Ever Existed
- Martin O'Malley: Personnel Is Policy for the Left on Wall Street Reform.
- Women's Rights & Issues: Naomi Wolf misses the point about 'vocal fry'. It's just an excuse not to listen to women
- Environment & Energy: Simulations lead to design of near-frictionless material
- Skepticism, Science & Pseudoscience: No, It’s Not Your Opinion. You’re Just Wrong
- Socialist Progressives: Univ. of California Academic Workers’ Union Calls on AFL-CIO To Terminate Police Union’s Membership
- Omaha Steve's Labor Group: Univ. of California Academic Workers’ Union Calls on AFL-CIO To Terminate Police Union’s Membership
- United Kingdom: David Cameron: UK property no safe haven for 'dirty money'
- Latin America: Peru gives police power to track locations of cellphones in real time, without warrants
- Texas: 8-City ‘Faith Family Freedom Tour’ Across Texas Promises Plenty Of Hilarious Anti-Gay Bigotry
- New Mexico: 911 operator hangs up
- Massachusetts: I have a favor to ask from rich people in Massachusetts?
- Pennsylvania: New book takes a hard look at $12 billion Milton Hershey School Trust
- Louisiana: Louisiana Health Cooperative to cease operations (policies comvered until Dec 31, 2015)
- South Carolina: A relative told me that Edisto Beach is even more washed out than usual. Can anybody provide
- Kansas: Letter: Brownback/Davis election was strange night working polls
- New York: New maps show fracking infrastructure in PA & NY
Latest Breaking News
4 min ago - Vulnerabilities discovered in the Stagefright media playback engine that is native to Android devices could be the mobile world’s equivalent to Heartbleed. Almost all Android devices contain the security and implementation issues in question; unpatch ... (Threat Post)
27 min ago - Musk, Hawking, Wozniak: Ban AI warfare, autonomous weapons By Bill Howard on July 27, 2015 at 4:40 pm More than a thousand researchers, AI experts, and high-profile business leaders say war is getting out of hand and we should ban “offensive autonom ... (Extreme Tech)
34 min ago - GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says the United States must acknowledge a “painful” history of racial discrimination that still affects many minorities. Rubio told reporters in South Carolina on Monday that the ... (ASSOCIATED PRESS)
1 hr ago - The Arizona Cardinals are believed to be the first team in the NFL to hire a female coach after adding Jen Welter to their staff Monday as a training camp and preseason coaching intern. Darren Urban reported the news via the Cardinals' official webs ... (Bleacher Report)
1 hr ago - NEW YORK (Reuters) - A successful New York elementary school principal who took her own life had forged standardized English exam scores for her third grade students, the city's Department of Education said on Monday. Jeanene Worrell-Breeden, 49, wh ... (Yahoo! News / Reuters)
1 hr ago - Ivana Trump once accused the real estate tycoon of ‘rape,’ although she later clarified: not in the ‘criminal sense.’ Donald Trump introduced his presidential campaign to the world with a slur against Mexican immigrants, accusing them of being “rapis ... (Daily Beast)
1 hr ago - OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Oklahoma's Supreme Court on Monday said the state must remove a Ten Commandments stone monument first placed at its Capitol in 2012, rejecting an appeal to reconsider an earlier decision. The justices denied a request by th ... (Yahoo! News / Reuters)
1 hr ago - Fifa president Sepp Blatter deserves a Nobel Prize, says Russian president Vladimir Putin. World football's governing body is engulfed in a corruption crisis, including an investigation into the award of the 2018 World Cup to Russia. "People like Mr ... (BBC)
2 hrs ago - ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Researchers may never solve the recent deaths of 18 endangered whales whose carcasses were found floating near Alaska's Kodiak Island, a scientist working on the case said Monday. Samples taken from one of the 10 fin whales ... (AP)
2 hrs ago - SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (AP) — The mother of a missing 8-year-old girl pleaded for her safe return Monday as search efforts grew to include federal authorities. Madyson Middleton vanished Sunday afternoon from an artist community and housing center in a ... (AP)
3 hrs ago - True crime writer Ann Rule, who wrote more than 30 books, including a profile of her former co-worker, serial killer Ted Bundy, has died at 83. Rule died at Highline Medical Center, south of Seattle, at 10:30 p.m. Sunday, said Scott Thompson, a spo ... (CBS News)
3 hrs ago - By KIMBERLY PIERCEALL LAS VEGAS (AP) — Firefighters said Monday that fake palm trees and high winds fueled a poolside fire on a rooftop at The Cosmopolitan on the Las Vegas Strip over the weekend, a blaze that sent guests running and plumes of black ... (AP)
3 hrs ago - Boy Scout board approves end to blanket ban on gay adults BY DAVID CRARY JUL. 27, 2015 7:32 PM EDT NEW YORK (AP) — The Boy Scouts of America on Monday ended its blanket ban on gay adult leaders while allowing church-sponsored Scout units to maintai ... (Associated Press)
3 hrs ago - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker wants to all but eliminate the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and place each state in sole charge of controlling air and water pollution within its borders if he is elected president, he told a conservative newspaper ... (Wisconsin State Journal)
3 hrs ago - by Sarah McDonaldAdam Haigh July 27, 2015 — 6:25 PM EDT Updated on July 27, 2015 — 7:30 PM EDT Asian equity-index futures signaled further declines after a rout in China drove global shares lower. Crude fell and the dollar held losses. Contracts on ... (Bloomberg)
4 hrs ago - Entering his third week as an official presidential candidate, Gov. Scott Walker is doing his best to live by the Republican Party's "Eleventh Commandment." When asked about the bombast of real estate mogul Donald Trump or controversial comments mad ... (The Capital Times)
4 hrs ago - The Obama administration has decided that the National Security Agency will soon stop examining – and will ultimately destroy – millions of American calling records it collected under a controversial program revealed by former agency contractor Edwar ... (Associated Press)
4 hrs ago - By JONATHAN WEISMANJULY 27, 2015 WASHINGTON — The top trade negotiators of the United States and 11 other Pacific nations are gathering this week at a luxury resort in Maui for one last push to complete the largest regional trade accord in history, ... (New York)
4 hrs ago - By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican chairman of a powerful House committee called for the removal of the IRS commissioner Monday, saying he has obstructed congressional investigations into the treatment of conservative groups. Re ... (AP)
4 hrs ago - By AUDREY McAVOY HONOLULU (AP) — The military on Monday exhumed more caskets containing the unidentified remains of USS Oklahoma crew members killed in the 1941 bombing of Pearl Harbor. The coffins were dug up at the National Memorial Cemetery of t ... (AP)
5 hrs ago - By Tim Devaney Republicans on Monday renewed their push for legislation that they say would help prevent workers from being forced into union membership. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) on Monday introduced the Employee Rights Act, a bill that would crea ... (The Hill)
6 hrs ago - FIFA boss Sepp Blatter deserves a Nobel Prize for his stewardship of soccer's governing body, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in an interview aired by Swiss broadcaster RTS on Monday. On Saturday, at a meeting with Putin in St Petersburg, Bla ... (Reuters)
6 hrs ago - Back in May, we took note of a particularly troubling development in the aftermath of the 2012 mass shootings at the Century Theater in Aurora. The parents of Jessica Ghawi, one of the theatergoers killed when James Holmes opened fire in a packed mov ... (Colorado Pols)
6 hrs ago - New York City will gradually tear down and rebuild LaGuardia Airport beginning next year. Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the plan on Monday saying it's "what New Yorkers deserve and have deserved for a long time." The new structure will be a joint p ... (TDB/NBC New York)
6 hrs ago - Defying dire predictions about health insurance rate shock across the country, California’s Obamacare exchange negotiated a 4% average rate increase for the second year in a row. The modest increase for 2016, announced Monday, may be welcome news fo ... (Los Angeles Times)
6 hrs ago - LONDON: Jihadi John, the Islamic State's burly masked executioner behind one of the most horrific beheadings recently, has reportedly fled the terror network and gone on the run in Syria fearing for his own life. 26-year-old British terrorist Mohamm ... (Times of India)
7 hrs ago - A published report says Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration has been contacting retired state employees to determine if they're willing to come back on short-term contracts in case of a workers strike. David Scheina of rural Sangamon County told The ... (Chicago Tribune)
7 hrs ago - The city and the U.S. Olympic Committee severed ties after a board teleconference Monday, USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky told The Associated Press. ... (NECN)
8 hrs ago - An LGBT flag was flown over Reno City Hall over the weekend instead of the American flag, sparking an apology from Mayor Hillary Schieve Monday morning. Schieve was alerted Sunday night that the American flag was not flying over city hall, she said ... (Reno Gazette-Journal)
8 hrs ago - Published July 27, 2015·Associated Press BEIJING – A Chinese woman died after being trapped in a shopping mall escalator, but not before pushing her 2-year-old son to safety. ... Sunday's horrific accident in the central city of Jingzhou was caught ... (Associated Press, via Fox News)
- My Subscriptions
- AFL-CIO Now
- All Spin Zone
- All Things Democrat
- American Street
- Atlantic Free Press
- Big Head DC
- Blogging of the Pres
- Bluegrass Report
- Bluegrass Roots
- Blue Indiana
- Blue Mass. Group
- Bob Geiger
- BRAD Blog
- Brendan Calling
- Buckeye State Blog
- Burnt Orange Report
- Capitol Annex
- Carpetbagger Report
- Chris Floyd
- Clay Cane
- Cliff Schecter
- Comments from Left Field
- Confined Space
- Cotton Mouth
- Crooks and Liars
- culture kitchen
- Daily Gotham
- Daily Kos
- David Corn
- Dem Bloggers
- Deride and Conquer
- Drudge Retort
- Ed Cone
- Egberto Willies
- ePluribus Media
- Ezra Klein
- Fired Up
- First Draft
- Green Mountain Daily
- Greg Palast
- Horse's Ass
- Hughes for America
- In Search of Utopia
- Is That Legal?
- Jesus' General
- Jon Swift
- Juan Cole
- Keystone Politics
- Las Vegas Gleaner
- Latino Pundit
- Lawyers, Guns and Money
- Left Coaster
- Left in the West
- Liberal Avenger
- Liberal Oasis
- Loaded Orygun
- Make Them Accountable
- Matthew Yglesias
- Media Girl
- Michigan Liberal
- Minnesota Campaign Report
- Minnesota Monitor
- My Left Nutmeg
- My Left Wing
- My Two Sense
- Nathan Newman
- Nevada Today
- News Corpse
- News Dissector
- News Hounds
- Oliver Willis
- Pam's House Blend
- People's Rep. of Seabrook
- Political Animal
- Political Wire
- Poor Man Institute
- Prairie State Blue
- Progressive Historians
- Raising Kaine
- Raw Story
- Reno Discontent
- Republic of T
- Rhode Island's Future
- Rochester Turning
- Rocky Mountain Report
- Rod 2.0
- Rox Populi
- Rude Pundit
- Sadly, No!
- Satirical Political Report
- Seeing The Forest
- Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
- Smirking Chimp
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Swing State Project
- Talking Points Memo
- Talk Left
- Taylor Marsh
- Tattered Coat
- Texas Kaos
- The Albany Project
- The Blue State
- The Democratic Daily
- The Hollywood Liberal
- The Reaction
- The Talent Show
- This Modern World
- Town Called Dobson
- Turn Maine Blue
- Uppity Wisconsin
- War and Piece
- Watching the Watchers
- West Virginia Blue
- Young Philly Politics
- Young Turks