Gathered information on Palin with sources [List Edits]
Email this thread to a friend
Bookmark this thread
|Home » Discuss » Archives » Research Forum|
|Open Edit (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore||Sun Sep-07-08 01:45 PM
|Gathered information on Palin with sources|
Edited on Tue Sep-09-08 02:35 PM by carpediem
This new topic is awaiting edits. It was started by carpediem.
Compiled information and links to articles about Sarah Palin. I've divided it into sections and linked the articles where the information is from. I was asked to post this here in the research forum. (In the 2 cases of image links under governing style and earmarks, I've added some spaces in the url so it doesn't pull the images into the body of the message and blow out the formatting)-carpediem
* Ted Stevens, currently under indictment for corruption: She helped found and direct the 527 group, "Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc.,", she served as one of 3 directors. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/01/p...
* Endorsed by Ted Stevens for Governor in the following ad which was scrubbed from her site once she was named VP candidate, but was placed on Youtube before it was scrubbed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o46YdvT3lwQ
* The lobbyist she hired while Mayor had close ties to Ted Stevens and Don Young.
all below info from this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/us/politics/03wasilla...
* No one allowed to talk to press. Unheard of before she got there.
* Wanted to ban some books at the library. The librarian refused. She fired the librarian. People protested and she was forced to hire her back. (also here: http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2008/09/06/breakin... )
* Fired or asked to resign: the public works director, city planner, museum director and others, because they publicly backed Mr. Stein, the previous mayor. This had never been done before.
* Campaigned on lowering the mayoral salary, which she did, $68,000 to 64,000, but then hired a city manager at a salary of $60,000, a net loss of $56,000 for the city. No previous mayor needed a city manager to help them do their job.
* Article regarding her governing style: http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080905/pl_politico/1...
* As a new mayor she asked officials to quit as a loyalty test: (link to scan of the newspaper article in Daily Sitka Sentinel)
idly. org /wp-content/uploads/2008/09/palin_loyalty_test.png
BRIDGE TO NOWHERE:
* Bridge to nowhere: She campaigned saying the bridge to nowhere should be built.
question she received while running: "5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?
her answer: Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."
* She wasn't in a position as Governor to tell Congress anything about the bridge because Congress had already eliminated the requirement that the funds be spent on the bridge in 2005. But the funding for the bridge was still given to the state of Alaska to spend as they saw fit.
Here is her statement about the bridge from Sept. 21, 2007 (this doesn't sound like a principled rejection):
"Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer,” said Governor Palin. “Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329 million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it’s clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island,” Governor Palin added. “Much of the public’s attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here. But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened.” http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:RL3FJAhN1ksJ:gov.st...
* The state is still building a road on Gravina Island to a beach where the bridge would have gone because otherwise they would have had to return that money to the federal government.
She says she is against earmarks, but
* As Mayor she hired a Washington lobbyist to get earmarks for Wasilla. By the time she left office the she and the lobbyist had gotten $27 million in earmarks from the federal government.
* As Governor she submitted $250 million in earmark requests in 2007 and has submitted $197 million in earmark requests in 2008.
* Palin's earmarks have been called out by McCain on his "pork lists" of objectionable spending.
* In 2008, Palin wrote favorably about earmarks in a newspaper article. "The federal budget, in its various manifestations, is incredibly important to us, and congressional earmarks are one aspect of this relationship,"
* See what Palin thought of her success in getting earmarks for Wasilla:
www. washingtonindependent. com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/council-scribble.jpg
FISCAL CONSERVATIVE OR NOT:
* Wasilla sports complex. As mayor she fought to have a sports complex built and raised sales taxes on everything, including food, to raise the money for it.
* The sports complex was started and built on land the city didn't have clear title to.
* The owner of the land sued the city for payment and the city ended up paying over 1.3 million to him for the land and the legal fees, instead of the $125,000 the city had originally thought it would pay.
*She left Wasilla $20 million in debt after being Mayor. When she became Mayor they had a surplus.
* Against sex education - only supports abstinence only education - http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/01/13204... (Note on this page, it links to the Eagle Forum Blog where her answers to these questions, posed by them were posted. I saw it 3 days ago when I followed the link. At this time the link is broken as are several other links regarding Sarah Palin's views and record, the McCain campaign has been removing the ones they think don't reflect well on her) Here is a link to a google cache of the page as it appeared before it was scrubbed: http://salon.glenrose.net/img/Eagle%20Forum%20Alaska%20...
* Against abortion in all cases including rape and incest, unless the mother's life is in mortal danger - when asked while running for Governor what she would do if her daughter was raped, Alaska having a rape rate 2.2 times the national average, she said "I would choose life." http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/elections/2006/governo...
* Fired the police chief while mayor. He had tried to move the closing time of the bars from 5 am to 2 am and wanted restrictions on the concealed carry law, which angered the NRA. He also was a supporter of the previous mayor. Both the NRA and http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5713866
* Is for teaching creationism in public schools (along with evolution). http://community.adn.com/adn/node/102978
* Against stem-cell research http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles_of_faith/2008...
* Recently said God supports the U.S. war against Iraq.
* Believes building a Natural Gas Pipeline is 'God's Will': “I think God’s will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that."
* While Palin was in attendence at her church a visiting speaker described terrorist attacks on Israelis as God's "judgment of unbelief" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity.
* Her pastor said “And if Zephaniah were here today,” Kroon bellowed, “he’d be saying, ‘Listen,
ENVIRONMENT AND WILDLIFE:
* Supports the practice of aerial hunting of bears and wolves even though it is against federal law. See what this is here: http://current.com/items/88804691_aerial_hunting_of_wol...
* Offered bounty to hunters for left foreleg of dead wolves. http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/story/8726730p-...
* Suing the federal government to have polar bears removed from the endangered species list http://www.adn.com/polarbears/story/413710.html
See what is happening to polar bears here:
* In the face of overwhelming scientific findings, she doesn't believe climate change is man-made.
* In support of open cast coal mining to Alaska's Brooks Range Mountains
wikipedia entry on open cast mining (surface mining) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mining
* Her administration allowed Chevron to triple the amount of toxic waste it pours into the waters of Cook Inlet. This, even though the number of beluga whales in the bay has collapsed from 1,300 to 350 – the point of extinction – because of pollution and increased ship traffic.
* Dismisses alternative energy: "alternative-energy solutions are far from imminent and would require more than 10 years to develop."
* News report from Alaska for background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UojMnCgqVA
* Palin is under investigation for firing Walter Monegan while Governor. Monegan claims he was fired because he didn't fire Palins ex-brother-in-law.
* Palin originally said she "welcomed" the investigation.
* Now her lawyer is challenging the authority of the bi-partisan legislative group that is investigating her.
* Seven witnesses who were supposed to testify may now need to be subpoenaed after they failed to show.
* Claims executive privilege in not releasing her emails as Governor. Yet her husband who serves no official role is copied on many of these communications.
ALASKAN INDEPENDENCE PARTY
* Palin gave a speech in support of AIP to their convention - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI
* Todd Palin was a member of AIP for several years
* AIP Vice-Chairman in a speech speaks about Sarah Palin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NK2sFJebGc (at 6 minutes in)
THE STATE PLANE NOT SOLD ON EBAY
* McCain claimed she took the plane and "sold it on eBay -- and made a profit!" at a speech in WI on Sept 5, 2008
* The plane was on ebay, but the one serious offer they had fell through when the state hesitated on the terms. It was sold to a businessman through a broker at a loss.
PALIN USED STATE FUNDS TO TRAVEL AND GIVE A SPEECH AT HER CHURCH:
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS - ODDITIES - LINKS:
* When asked about her foreign travel, a Palin spokeswoman said she had traveled to Kuwait, Iraq and Ireland. The Ireland visit was only a refueling stop.
* She had to get a passport, she didn't already have one, when she visited the Alaska National Guard in Iraq. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/us/politics/30veep.ht...
* Wondered on Kudlow what exactly a Vice President does every day? See video of Palin asking this: http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0808/Palin_wonde...
* Thought the founding fathers wrote the Pledge and that the phrase 'Under God' was in the original Pledge of Allegience. The pledge was written in the 1890's and the phrase 'Under God' was added in 1954.
http://salon.glenrose.net/img/Eagle%20Forum%20Alaska%20... (question 11)
* Her state's proximity to Russia has been cited by the McCain campaign as foreign policy credential. The campaign can't come up with any relations she has had with Russia. She has never traveled there.
* A blog by an Alaskan
* A letter from someone who knows Sarah Palin (Anne Kilkenny):
|Refresh | +1 Recommendations||Printer Friendly | Permalink | Edit | Top|
|Home » Discuss » Archives » Research Forum|
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators
Home | Discussion Forums | Journals | Store | Donate
Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.
© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC