Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

PA: 08 Vote Records in Montgomery County Reveals Discrepancies Between Votes Cast and Voters

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
Home » Discuss » Topic Forums » Election Reform Donate to DU
 
Wilms Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri May-14-10 01:52 AM
Original message
PA: 08 Vote Records in Montgomery County Reveals Discrepancies Between Votes Cast and Voters

Review of 08 Vote Records in Montgomery County Reveals Discrepancies Between Votes Cast and Voters

Submitted by Steve Strahs on May 13, 2010

snip

The Election Reform Network is coming forward today with a report that points to dangerous deficiencies in the voting process in Montgomery County. The report uncovers disparities between machine counts and voter attendance for three-quarters of election districts (EDs) in Montgomery County during the 08 general election.

snip

Montgomery County has used the Sequoia AVC Advantage vote machine since 1996. The AVC has been the subject of controversy in New Jersey, when in the 2008 primary, it was discovered the machines miscounted the number of ballots cast.

Key findings include:

snip

304 of the 406 EDs studied (75%) had some disparities between the machine count and the numbered poll lists.

Thirty-one of the 304 EDs with disparities between the machine count and the numbered poll lists (10%) had more machine voters than names on the numbered poll list. The rest, or 90% of the EDs with disparities, had more names on the poll lists than voters recorded in the machine count.

Of the five ED poll books - with actual voter signatures - reviewed as a check on our poll list data, we found three with poll book signature counts of between 300 and more than 600 fewer signatures than the machine count of voters. A fourth ED had a disparity of 63 voters.

snip

Section CS 3154(b) of the Pennsylvania election code requires that counties compare the records of the number of voters with the number of actual ballots cast prior to the certification of election results. If in any election district the number of votes for any office exceeds the total number of voters, the county is required to investigate. And until the matter is resolved, the votes from that election district are to be excluded from the official count.

However, there is no evidence that the County has ever examined the potential for such discrepancies or worked to either fix the machines or fix the sign-in process.

snip

http://www.electionreformnetwork.us/node/229

Refresh | +13 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
seeviewonder Donating Member (291 posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri May-14-10 02:27 AM
Response to Original message
1. Sounds like it is definitely
something that needs to be investigated. I'd try to encourage
the county/state officials to take a closer look. This is a
little fishy to me. Sort of reminds me of the report before
the '08 election that a flier or something was distributed in
a Virginia(?) town stating that students could not vote on
campus.
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
Melissa G Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri May-14-10 01:49 PM
Response to Original message
2. K&R#10
Bears Repeating...
disparities between machine counts and voter attendance for three-quarters of election districts (EDs) in Montgomery County during the 08 general election.

Thanks, wilms! :hi:
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Fri Aug 22nd 2014, 05:31 AM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]
 Top

Home » Discuss » Topic Forums » Election Reform Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC