Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Are We Giant Suckers? While the U.S. Blows Money on the Military, Europe Spends Dough on Social

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
Home » Discuss » Topic Forums » National Security Donate to DU
 
BridgeTheGap Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-23-11 11:25 AM
Original message
Are We Giant Suckers? While the U.S. Blows Money on the Military, Europe Spends Dough on Social
Programs.

Last week, during his final European visit before retiring, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates blasted our NATO allies for spending too little on their militaries.

The blunt reality, he told an audience in Brussels, is that there will be dwindling appetite in the U.S. to expend increasingly precious funds on behalf of nations that are apparently unwilling to devote the necessary resources to be serious and capable partners in their own defense.

It's not uncommon for American hawks to whine about those soft Europeans not shelling out enough dough on weapons systems. But let's take a look at what "defense" actually means in this context.

On average, wealthy countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development spend 2.5 percent of their economic output on their militaries. That's not peanuts with very large economies. Europe is shielded by nuclear arms in the hands of the UK and France (not counting the nukes we lend to Germany, Italy, Turkey, Belgium and the Netherlands under a NATO agreement). There are no nation-states likely to attack the continent anytime soon.

http://www.alternet.org/world/151337/are_we_giant_sucke...
Refresh | +10 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Autumn Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-23-11 11:29 AM
Response to Original message
1. We need to replace these people in power
they have no intention of taking care of the American people, it is of no benefit to them.
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
dkf Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-23-11 11:31 AM
Response to Original message
2. Europe's social programs are being cut.
Everyone is cutting spending...except for the Saudis and Kuwaitis, but you know where that money will be coming from.
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
mrdmk Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-23-11 12:11 PM
Response to Reply #2
6. With you on that one Sister!
Most everyone is doing the, 'cut-cut-cut waltz-toos-see...'

k & r
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
CrossChris Donating Member (641 posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-23-11 11:50 AM
Response to Original message
3. I think we're suckers for thinking the US determines where US money goes.
Multinational companies that represent the interests of the top 1% determine where "US money" for the other 99% goes.
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
razorman Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-23-11 11:55 AM
Response to Original message
4. For decades, the Europeans have been able to rely on Uncle Sugar for their defense.
That has left them with funds to use for other things, while we carry the load(as usual).
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
sinkingfeeling Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-23-11 12:08 PM
Response to Original message
5. I have always wondered why we have bases in England.
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Wed Aug 27th 2014, 10:59 AM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]
 Top

Home » Discuss » Topic Forums » National Security Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC