Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Pro-life issues in government, science and religion.

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (Through 2005) Donate to DU
 
Cleita Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Mar-18-05 06:38 PM
Original message
Pro-life issues in government, science and religion.
These threads about Terry Schiavo and the anti-abortionists makes me think of another issue, the separation of church and state. It seems that not only did the Constitution address the separation of church and state but I think we need a provision for the separation of church and science as well. I think religion interfering with our scientific institutions is as bad as religion interfering with our government.

These right to life issues like a woman's reproductive health or helping terminal patients die with dignity are not really religious issues but medical issues that should be the provenance of the families and their doctors, no one else. We need laws that clearly state this.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
Malva Zebrina Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Mar-18-05 07:02 PM
Response to Original message
1. I wouldn't hold my breath
in this regime under the born again Christian Bush. And from the looks of it, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Democrats to do it either. I agree the issue needs to be discussed, but who will do the discussing? Christian philosophers? Their record is not too encouraging because historically religion has held back the healing of human beings who were suffering and died by the thousands pehaps the millions, especially during the dark ages, because of their resistance to scientific discoveries.

We are certainly seeing it being continued now with the denial of stem cell research.

But the rich who are sick, can always go overseas to other countries that are working on this and possible be cured of their affliction. That's encouraging.


Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 
toymachines Donating Member (782 posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Mar-18-05 07:03 PM
Response to Original message
2. but they would say it is morals not religion, or something like that
and that morals and ethics are inherently a part of science. we cant even make them hold up the separation of church and state, separating church and science would be all but impossible...but we could dream.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 
Cleita Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Mar-18-05 09:54 PM
Response to Original message
3. ....
:kick:
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 
Quixote1818 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Mar-18-05 10:00 PM
Response to Original message
4. The problem is sometimes you are left not knowing what they wanted
and if that is the case then you would have to default to the probability of what they would want to do. Since only 7% in most polls say they would want to be kept alive on life support then you would have to go with the 93% chance that they would want the tube pulled. Sure you will miss 7% of the time but you will hit 93% of the time. You have to go with scientific probability if their is nothing else to go by. Unfortunately any bill will probably side with life and against the overwhelming odds that is what the person would want.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Sat Dec 20th 2014, 01:00 AM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]
 Top

Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (Through 2005) Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC