You are viewing an obsolete version of the DU website which is no longer supported by the Administrators. Visit The New DU.
Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Reply #13: Looks like more of the same. Why is any of that good news? [View All]

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » General Discussion: Presidency Donate to DU
FBaggins Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Tue Sep-14-10 05:33 PM
Response to Reply #5
13. Looks like more of the same. Why is any of that good news?
Ok... two of them (NC and WV) are good news. Let's take them in order.

OK-2: They really start the sentence with "the most vulnerable Democratic seats"... trying to hint that this should be one of them (so if we're leading it's a good sign). In reality, the OK 2nd has never been on anyone's list of endangered seats. It's Safe D on every list I've seen and Boren has never won by less than a 2:1 margin.

CO-04: Hey... at least this one is a seat on most tossup lists. But let's face it... and internal poll showing an incumbent tied at 38% in an R-leaning district is really saying "we're going to lose, but at least we won't get embarrassed".

CT-05: - We're supposed to get excited about a claimed tie? This is really the same story as the OK-2 race. Cook has it as Likely D. 538 says an 84% chance of a D victory. Murphy won two years ago by 16%... and we're supposed to think that it's good news that someone admits the race is tied? It's had better not be anywhere close to tied or we're in big trouble.

IA-01/IA-02/IA-03 - Addressed in an earlier thread. Only one of these three was really expected to be a competitive race, and it remains one. The poll is mildly good news... hardly the "holy sh1t surprise"

IL-10: Yep. It's good to know that the long-term consensus 3rd-most-likely republican seat to switch still looks like it will switch... but is this really evidence that the prognosticators are overly pessimistic?

MS-01: Similar to CO. An internal poll showing an incumbent under 50%? Cook and the NYT have this one as a tossup (while Silver has it as an 84%R chance). I'd say that Childers' poll is consistent with the tossup call.

NC-08: The best news of the bunch. This is a real tossup race (at least on the cards I've seen). Kissel has been in close races before and knows how to win.

PA-04: Again... whoop-de-doo. If we lose this race, we've lost 80 others. It's solid/likely D in the ratings I've seen and Altmire won that seat by 12% last time. I think this is one of the "tea party knocks off the mainstream republican in the primary" races.

WV-01: Similar to the NC race.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 
  -Six New Polls released for House Races WI_DEM  Sep-14-10 08:22 AM   #0 
  - shhhhh, don't tell the MSM. I would love to see their credibility proven wrong AGAIN if we are able  still_one   Sep-14-10 08:27 AM   #1 
  - Conventional wisdom has it that Pelosi is out and Orange is in.  nevergiveup   Sep-14-10 08:40 AM   #2 
  - The above polls are not "outliers" - but neither are they good news.  FBaggins   Sep-14-10 09:03 AM   #3 
     - PA 12th ...  Cosmocat   Sep-14-10 09:18 AM   #4 
        - I agree  WI_DEM   Sep-14-10 09:22 AM   #6 
        - Critz won the seat by almost ten percent in May.  FBaggins   Sep-14-10 06:00 PM   #14 
  - Here's more to mull over:  WI_DEM   Sep-14-10 09:19 AM   #5 
  - Looks like more of the same. Why is any of that good news?  FBaggins   Sep-14-10 05:33 PM   #13 
  - Momentum will continue to build for Democrats. nt  Cognitive_Resonance   Sep-14-10 09:42 AM   #7 
  - Yeah, seems like they peaked too early.  Jester Messiah   Sep-14-10 10:11 AM   #8 
  - Pundits going to have tons of eggs on their faces  impik   Sep-14-10 10:14 AM   #9 
  - I live in KY-06 and I can tell you that there's no way Chandler will lose  BluegrassDem   Sep-14-10 10:15 AM   #10 
  - It seems when we go from generic polls to specific races, Dems look better.  yellowcanine   Sep-14-10 01:04 PM   #11 
     - Sure... when the DNC picks the specific races  FBaggins   Sep-14-10 04:51 PM   #12 
 

Home » Discuss » General Discussion: Presidency Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC