You are viewing an obsolete version of the DU website which is no longer supported by the Administrators. Visit The New DU.
Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Reply #139: We can't stop it but we can lessen the existence of it by [View All]

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (01/01/06 through 01/22/2007) Donate to DU
AZBlue Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Aug-10-06 11:28 PM
Response to Original message
139. We can't stop it but we can lessen the existence of it by
not invading countries to "free" them when they actually don't want anything to do with us.
- By realizing that democracy is indeed a great thing but not everyone wants it.
- By not trying to make every other country another U.S.
- By realizing that US citizens make up only 4.6% of the world's population and therefore maybe we should stop a minute and find out what's going on with the other 95.4%.
- By using common sense and the taxpayers' money to sew up the many loose holes in our "national security" instead of settling daddy's scores or helping our buds get richer
- By deciding we want to work with, not dominate or control, the other countries in the world.
- By learning about other ways of life, other cultures and other belief systems, including learning who our enemy is and why they are our enemy
- By figuring out that we should respect and allow the differences between peoples, not try to eradicate or hate them.
- By actually considering who we train and support militarily today because tomorrow they will use that knowledge against us
- By letting other countries choose how they want to live and leave them alone to let them live it.
- By putting our actions behind our words and when we say we will support a group or country in overthrowing a brutal dictator, actually sticking around to do it and not allow mass slaughters to take place instead.
- By using our position of power in this world to help others and make their lives better (in this country and elsewhere) instead of coercing them and taking advantage of them.

Hardly an all inclusive list, but it's a good start...
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 

Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (01/01/06 through 01/22/2007) Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC