You are viewing an obsolete version of the DU website which is no longer supported by the Administrators. Visit The New DU.
Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Reply #11: This portion of the article is quite misleading [View All]

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » Topic Forums » Health Donate to DU
azurnoir Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Mon May-25-09 01:33 AM
Response to Original message
11. This portion of the article is quite misleading
I can relate to the potential poison part of their belief. A dear friends son, with much the same diagnosis as Daniel, passed away several years ago, not from the cancer, but because of the chemotherapy. And, yes, the doctors admitted as much.
Oncologists, who most all of the time refuse to use the word cure, preferring the less litigious term, remission, say Daniel would have a 95 percent chance of survival with chemo treatment. Without their treatment, statistics are hazy and have been reported at from 5 percent to 25 percent chance of survival, but not zero.


the author does not name the cancer from which his friends child suffered from what is said I would imagine lymphoma is in the name, as there are over 30 different types of lymphoma one can not know exactly which he is talking, he says the child died from the chemo and yes that does happen, the most frequent cause is a allergic reaction to the drugs, patients and their guardians are quite fully informed as to this possibility and it is a relatively rare occurrence. In the case of Hodgkins the stats enumerated in the story are laughable 95% survival (that means cure folks} with treatment vs a possible 5-25% without proper treatment gee which would a sane person choose for their kid? The claim of "survivor" vs cured is also purposely misleading the author insinuates it is so the MD can not be sued that is most certainly not the case it has been the standard practice for many years that a patient is not considered cured until they have been free of the disease {in remission} for 5 years

I sincerely hope that this kid is found and that it is not too late
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 
  -How much should courts be allowed to dictate medical care? Why Syzygy  May-25-09 12:16 AM   #0 
  - The better question is "should insane, batshit crazy idiots be allowed to dictate medical care?"  lapfog_1   May-25-09 12:32 AM   #1 
  - The judge made his ruling base partially on the fact the Daniel could not  dflprincess   May-25-09 12:38 AM   #2 
  - I wonder why they went to a conventional doctor in the first place.  Stellabella   May-25-09 12:42 AM   #4 
  - They went to several doctors  dflprincess   May-25-09 12:59 AM   #5 
  - Daniel could not explain his beliefs, because they don't exist.  imdjh   May-25-09 01:18 AM   #7 
     - What I find interesting about  Why Syzygy   May-25-09 01:23 AM   #8 
        - The only thing relevant in this case is the best interests of the child.  imdjh   May-25-09 01:33 AM   #10 
        - Thanks.  Why Syzygy   May-25-09 02:02 PM   #20 
        - If you were an adult,  Confusious   May-25-09 04:27 AM   #13 
        - "the only grounds one has to appeal for liberty is Religion"  varkam   May-25-09 08:18 AM   #14 
  - Parents are legally obligated to provide medical care for their children.  Stellabella   May-25-09 12:40 AM   #3 
  - My mother and I went a round or two with this  imdjh   May-25-09 01:06 AM   #6 
  - That's the wrong question to ask  EvolveOrConvolve   May-25-09 01:27 AM   #9 
  - This portion of the article is quite misleading  azurnoir   May-25-09 01:33 AM   #11 
  - You know,  Confusious   May-25-09 04:22 AM   #12 
  - Indeed, I see it as  uppityperson   May-26-09 01:49 PM   #22 
  - You don't get it.  Warpy   May-25-09 08:53 AM   #15 
  - "You"  Why Syzygy   May-25-09 01:37 PM   #17 
     - But surely you understand when you post an article or opinion piece  semillama   May-25-09 01:47 PM   #18 
        - That wasn't my intention..  Why Syzygy   May-25-09 02:01 PM   #19 
  - Sometimes kids need to be protected from their parents...  SidDithers   May-25-09 10:40 AM   #16 
  - Colleen and Daniel Hauser are reportedly back home,  rocktivity   May-26-09 08:15 AM   #21 
  - Good. Thank you for the update. nt  uppityperson   May-26-09 01:50 PM   #23 
  - This really smells  supernova   May-26-09 05:31 PM   #26 
     - That's what I thought  Why Syzygy   May-26-09 05:42 PM   #27 
  - I dunno, how much should courts be allowed to protect children?  trotsky   May-26-09 02:08 PM   #24 
  - No, I do not believe that parents have an unlimited right  Crunchy Frog   May-26-09 05:24 PM   #25 
 

Home » Discuss » Topic Forums » Health Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC