You are viewing an obsolete version of the DU website which is no longer supported by the Administrators. Visit The New DU.
Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Reply #51: College students had traditionally been more conservative until late '90s. [View All]

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion: Presidential (Through Nov 2009) Donate to DU
AP Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Sat Jan-29-05 09:55 AM
Response to Original message
51. College students had traditionally been more conservative until late '90s.
I think their numbers from 2003 don't tell the whole story.

In 2001 I read that for the first time more students identified themselves as liberal than conservative, and the the theory was that that number correlated with the number of students going to college. Ten years earlier only about 25% of college-age Americans were in college. In 2000 it was closer to 50%. Since most rich kids already were in college, the increase was coming from middle and working class kids going to college, and those are people who are more likely to be Democrats.

So, 58% of college students might be identifying themselves with party affiliations of Democrat or Republican, but I suspect, based on the 2001 numbers I remember reading, a lot of the remaining 42% (who apparently identify as Independents) have liberal views (that go beyond the taxes and abortion rights views in the UCLA study).
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 

Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion: Presidential (Through Nov 2009) Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC