You are viewing an obsolete version of the DU website which is no longer supported by the Administrators. Visit The New DU.
Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login

Reply #1: You need a special cable... a crossover cable [View All]

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » The DU Lounge Donate to DU
Cyndee_Lou_Who Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Sun Jan-02-05 01:44 AM
Response to Original message
1. You need a special cable... a crossover cable
Edited on Sun Jan-02-05 01:46 AM by Cyndee_Lou_Who
unless they are both going to a router. If going to each other, you need to use crossover.

Like this:

Crossover cables are wired differently than Standard Ethernet cables...
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
  -Computer people....HELP! Not_Giving_Up  Jan-02-05 01:43 AM   #0 
  - You need a special cable... a crossover cable  Cyndee_Lou_Who   Jan-02-05 01:44 AM   #1 
  - A crossover cable???  Not_Giving_Up   Jan-02-05 01:47 AM   #4 
     - I edited post with link....  Cyndee_Lou_Who   Jan-02-05 01:47 AM   #5 
        - What's the difference between a crossover cable and the one I have now?  Not_Giving_Up   Jan-02-05 01:50 AM   #6 
        - See this:  Cyndee_Lou_Who   Jan-02-05 01:52 AM   #7 
        - OK  Not_Giving_Up   Jan-02-05 01:55 AM   #10 
           - The crossover cables are cheap.... call some places tomorrow to see  Cyndee_Lou_Who   Jan-02-05 01:56 AM   #11 
              - I had the hard drives slaved once, and copied the files that I needed  Not_Giving_Up   Jan-02-05 02:01 AM   #12 
                 - Don't give up.... that's totally not like you!  Cyndee_Lou_Who   Jan-02-05 02:04 AM   #13 
        - A crossover cable has the wires arranged differently on each end.  last1standing   Jan-02-05 01:53 AM   #8 
        - What you have now has all the wires running in parallel -- pin 1 on  qnr   Jan-02-05 01:54 AM   #9 
        - How can you connect 3 or 4  burrowowl   Jan-02-05 02:14 AM   #14 
           - Yes it can be done but not all simultaneously.  lpbk2713   Jan-02-05 09:00 AM   #17 
  - What type of cable? Crossover?  qnr   Jan-02-05 01:45 AM   #2 
  - The 98 SE computer is not trained to recognize the XP computer  Floogeldy   Jan-02-05 01:45 AM   #3 
  - The crossover cable is probably color-coded  Prisoner_Number_Six   Jan-02-05 02:41 AM   #15 
  - If you hold the two plugs of a crossover cable side by side  ET Awful   Jan-02-05 07:35 AM   #16 
  - Regular network cable will work if both are connected to a hub or router.  Mayberry Machiavelli   Jan-02-05 09:11 AM   #18 
  - Here's a decent rule of thumb.  Allenberg   Jan-02-05 09:41 AM   #19 
     - Sorry.  Prisoner_Number_Six   Jan-02-05 01:22 PM   #20 

Home » Discuss » The DU Lounge Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators

Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC