HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Democrats » Elizabeth Warren (Group) » Elizabeth Warren: Why isn... » Reply #75

Response to October (Reply #66)

Sun Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 PM

75. America moved right & workers lost bargaining power

Here's my take, although I'm definitely not an expert.

The 99% only have a chance if we stick together. If the 1% can separate us, then they will take all of the goodies.

Nixon had a strategy to grab Southern Democrats and pull them into the Republican Party over social issues (equal rights for minorities, etc). That started pulling a chunk of the 99% into the Democratic Party, and it wasn't long before they drank the Republican kool-aid on economic stuff - unions and workers rights in general. So those rights got trampled in the South, and Southern Democrats had to be economically right-wing in order to peel 99%ers back from the Republicans.

I love Jimmy Carter. But he was the first "serious responsible adult making tough decisions" Democratic President since FDR, and he was no friend of unions and pushed for business deregulation. In fact, the Teamsters backed Republican Ford over Carter! Reagan hated unions and didn't care about little people, Bush I was an arch-foe of working Americans, Clinton would do anything for the 1%, anything at all, Bush II was... well we all know about that, and Obama is enthralled by bankers and wants to hurt the 99% at least a little so he can show he's above partisanship.

So for 30 years we've had unrelenting war on the rights of workers, and that's meant that we've had to sit quietly while we're being pooped on. And minimum wage is now $14.75 an hour less than it should be.

Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 86 replies Author Time Post
MannyGoldstein Mar 2013 OP
Tuesday Afternoon Mar 2013 #1
ErikJ Mar 2013 #69
tiny elvis Mar 2013 #70
ErikJ Mar 2013 #71
valerief Mar 2013 #2
ProfessionalLeftist Mar 2013 #3
Plucketeer Mar 2013 #77
rhett o rick Mar 2013 #4
Live and Learn Mar 2013 #5
Cleita Mar 2013 #6
MannyGoldstein Mar 2013 #7
Cleita Mar 2013 #8
awoke_in_2003 Mar 2013 #45
Coyotl Mar 2013 #9
antiquie Mar 2013 #11
Coyotl Mar 2013 #13
antiquie Mar 2013 #16
Cleita Mar 2013 #14
antiquie Mar 2013 #18
MannyGoldstein Mar 2013 #20
antiquie Mar 2013 #26
snappyturtle Mar 2013 #30
antiquie Mar 2013 #31
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #54
cstanleytech Mar 2013 #25
SunSeeker Mar 2013 #44
Mnpaul Mar 2013 #74
Spitfire of ATJ Mar 2013 #10
Cleita Mar 2013 #12
Spitfire of ATJ Mar 2013 #17
alc Mar 2013 #15
Cleita Mar 2013 #19
NYC_SKP Mar 2013 #22
Spitfire of ATJ Mar 2013 #23
October Mar 2013 #29
SheilaT Mar 2013 #39
October Mar 2013 #55
SheilaT Mar 2013 #62
Le Taz Hot Mar 2013 #85
October Mar 2013 #86
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #53
October Mar 2013 #57
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #59
Sherman A1 Mar 2013 #48
Lordquinton Mar 2013 #60
Sherman A1 Mar 2013 #65
grahamhgreen Mar 2013 #82
BlancheSplanchnik Mar 2013 #21
JDPriestly Mar 2013 #24
brewens Mar 2013 #27
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #58
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #61
antiquie Mar 2013 #28
smallcat88 Mar 2013 #32
Smarmie Doofus Mar 2013 #37
SunSeeker Mar 2013 #72
hedgehog Mar 2013 #33
pangaia Mar 2013 #34
Bozvotros Mar 2013 #35
Smarmie Doofus Mar 2013 #36
MannyGoldstein Mar 2013 #38
soldierant Mar 2013 #68
SheilaT Mar 2013 #40
cantbeserious Mar 2013 #41
Major Nikon Mar 2013 #42
WillyT Mar 2013 #43
SunSeeker Mar 2013 #46
colsohlibgal Mar 2013 #47
AzDar Mar 2013 #49
abelenkpe Mar 2013 #50
Rosa Luxemburg Mar 2013 #51
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #52
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #56
MannyGoldstein Mar 2013 #64
October Mar 2013 #66
LineLineLineLineReply America moved right & workers lost bargaining power
MannyGoldstein Mar 2013 #75
Skittles Mar 2013 #63
TrollBuster9090 Mar 2013 #67
hay rick Mar 2013 #73
aaaaaa5a Mar 2013 #76
MannyGoldstein Mar 2013 #79
Beartracks Mar 2013 #78
Autumn Mar 2013 #80
midnight Mar 2013 #81
Laelth Mar 2013 #83
Flatulo Mar 2013 #84
Please login to view edit histories.