In the discussion thread: Is it ok to lie about or cover up sensitive personal medical information? If so, to what extent??? [View all]
Response to Denninmi (Reply #8)
Sun Sep 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
intaglio (5,726 posts)
12. Good, you are well grounded
and at the moment you are living in fear - another curse that the US health system puts on you: and it ain't your fault! At least the - err - bothersome insurance companies can't pull the "pre-existing condition" cr*p on you.
Set out your worries, things that might cause you to deceive; here are my guesses.
1) Your boss. Fear is justifiable because of your lack of protection. Be careful, you need not lie to him just let his misapprehensions stay until you are more in control. Once you are functional then you can start drip feeding him the actuality. Plan for the time when you can tell him.
2) Family. You know your family far better than I do but I suspect that there must be one member of the group who is more understanding than the others. Start with them, perhaps just noting that your mood is shot and that you are facing a lot of problems, and ask them what they think and what others in your family have noticed. I think it is odds on the family as a whole both suspect and understand far more than you realise.
3) Friends; you probably feel you don't have many, at the moment, in real life. Check round, there may be some who are more aware than others, usually they'll be the ones willing to leave you alone because they're aware of how delicate such things are.
4) Neighbours. What you do in private is your own affair; if some nosy parker starts pressing on the matter smile, sweetly and send them politely on their way.
In these cases work out what is acceptable as a truth without lying, a good one here is "I have a neurological condition, it's not life threatening," if you like you can also add that "it may make me act oddly from time to time". This is entirely true and if people are not educated enough to understand the implications then it is not your job to educate them - until you are at a point where they can understand the entirety of the problem.
There is one person you should never lie to and that is yourself. Because you have little idea about how you are going to react or how things will turn out there will be a temptation to guild the lily. Just keep as grounded as you are and watch out for those, "Hey! I'm so much better I don't need to keep up the treatment," moments. Been there, done that, needed another intervention further down the line.
There is no kind of harassment that a man may not inflict on a woman with impunity in civilized societies. - Diderot "On Women"
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
|loli phabay||Sep 2012||#1|
|Tobin S.||Sep 2012||#2|
|Tuesday Afternoon||Sep 2012||#11|
|Betsy Ross||Sep 2012||#5|
Good, you are well grounded
Please login to view edit histories.