Response to lib2DaBone (Reply #16)
Mon Apr 2, 2012, 11:33 AM
Moostache (2,236 posts)
20. Sad but true.
It makes me want to cry seeing that analysis, but I cannot deny the truth of it. The first thing I thought when I read that headline was "dammit..another group of crazy religious zealots" and then I paused to reflect...
- WHY would people stay with the same tactics for over 30 years (bombings and even doctor murders) when doing so had not stopped abortion or the legal right to have one?
- Isn't it a little TOO convenient that this hot-button issue almost ALWAYS goes into remission on non-election years?
- WHO benefits from the constant "take-everyone's-eye-off-the-ball" media strategy?
Here we have the Republican Party marching out a tepid to downright offensive slate of Presidential candidates, the Republican House passing the same ass-backwards "budget" as last year and the Republican (yes, its come to THAT) Supreme Court sounding like Tea Party regulars during an actual hearing at the nation's supposedly highest apolitical institution. So, to take some attention away from that what do we get?
- Trayvon Martin case is re-ignited after a month....I am not trying to downplay THAT tragedy, because it SHOULD have been in the new from day one; however, its a convenient emotional issue that distracts the public VERY WELL.
- Abortion clinic bombing (keep the embers burning under the pot of single-issue crazy voters on the right, who have been duped on this issue for 35+ years already and ALWAYS fall for the same lines about defending life and blah-blah-blah....its amazing that none of them seem to notice the Republicans could not care less about their issue when it comes time to actually change the laws, just when its good business to criticize them).
- Keith Olbermann firing (keep the left tied up in knots debating a person instead of the loss of a powerful voice for progressives)
And yet, the theft of resources and industrial scale polluting goes on unabated....the Wall Street criminals of 2007-2009 put ANOTHER year's distance between themselves and the crimes that committed....the troops in Afghanistan and STILL dying and fighting for outposts and rocky hills of wasteland, while BILLIONS of dollars are spent - wasted or out-right stolen - in the "war".
The reality of Global Climate Change is now accepted as a fait-au-compli and the needed urgency to even mitigate the impact is being kicked down the road, making the end game more dire for us all.
The budget deficit is being turned into yet another canard to throw out in the public square whenever convenient to muddy the waters, but meanwhile, the tax policies that have led to this situation are allowed to persist.
And worst of all, despite assurances and platitudes to the contrary in 2008, the United States of America is STILL a rogue nation running illegal prisons, carrying out illegal military actions and in general being the single greatest barrier to peace on this rotating rock.
We have been lied to and used (on BOTH sides) for decades and this fall election is only going to be the biggest of them all....several BILLION dollars in hard and soft money is going to be spent and the inconsequential nonsense will dominate the coverage for the entirety.
It is also sad but true that in a representative republic, we do NOT get the government that we want or that we need...we get the government that we deserve. Until more people start to recognize and reject the manipulations, we deserve to be exploited exactly as we are allowing today.
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
|Ian David||Apr 2012||#1|
|Ian David||Apr 2012||#2|
|Nancy Waterman||Apr 2012||#12|
|Walk away||Apr 2012||#33|
|Worried senior||Apr 2012||#23|
Sad but true.
|Solly Mack||Apr 2012||#24|
|me b zola||Apr 2012||#35|
|Horse with no Name||Apr 2012||#39|
|Ruby the Liberal||Apr 2012||#44|
Please login to view edit histories.