Fla. judge: No trial delay in Trayvon Martin case [View all]
Source: Associated Press
Fla. judge: No trial delay in Trayvon Martin case
By KYLE HIGHTOWER, Associated Press | February 5, 2013 | Updated: February 5, 2013 1:40pm
SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — The murder trial for the Florida man charged in the shooting death of teenager Trayvon Martin remains set for a June start after a judge Tuesday denied a defense request for a postponement.
George Zimmerman's lead attorney Mark O'Mara presented a motion to have the trial pushed back to November. He argued that prosecutors had been slow to turn over needed evidence.
State attorney Bernie de la Rionda denied the accusation the prosecution had been dragging its feet and said it was rather a case of the defense using inefficient means to secure the information it wanted.
With roughly four months left before the scheduled June 10 trial, Judge Debra Nelson said she felt the defense still has time to work out the outstanding issues.