HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Egypt's president offers ... » Reply #2

Response to triplepoint (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 11:15 PM

2. Because 75% of the people support him????

Remember the Moslem Brotherhood run just over 50% of the vote when it came to the seats in the Egyptian Parliament. The second largest group, at about 25% of the vote where they even more religious allies. Morsi won with over 50% of the vote, but that was after a good bit of vote cheater done to DENY HIM THE PRESIDENCY (Morsi and the Moslem Brotherhood did not cheat, the Government did but Morsi still won the election).

If you look at what is occurring in Egypt, supporters of the Army Leadership are doing the rioting. The Army Leadership is looking to any allies for they can NOT trust they own troops (one of the problem with a Draftee Army, the enlistees tend to support what the people of the Country wants, NOT what their military leaders want the reason is the people and the Army tend to be one and the same, or at least the Army is pulled from the people and remain attached to them).

Right now, the fight is between the Army Leadership and the Moslem Brotherhood, with the Secular groups (including the Copts) caught in the middle. When I think of that, I remember the old quote about people in the Political Middle of the road "The only thing in the middle of the road is road kill" and I am afraid that is what will happen to most of the secular middle. They may NOT trust the Moslem Brotherhood, but the Army leadership will eat them alive. I suspect many of the rioters prefer an enemy they know (The Army leadership) over one they do NOT know (the Moslem Brotherhood) but I also think that is a mistake.

The problem right now with Egypt is the old elites (the army leadership and their fellow elites, Egypt's 1%) they have been pigs at the trough so long that they do NOT want to share, and will do everything they can to make sure they do NOT have to share the wealth of Egypt with the other 99%. The Moslem Brotherhood is harder to pin down, how much wealth redistribution will they support is unclear but they have the organization to take over Egypt, which no one else in Egypt has. This is like the Communists in Russia in 1917, even if they do NOT have popular support (and the Moslem Brotherhood look like they do) they have the organization to take over. It is for that reason the Army Leadership want the Moslem Brotherhood discredited and one of the reasons for these riots.

The Brotherhood has done its best to avoid violence, so that the Army can not intervene to "Prevent Bloodshed" and take back the Country. Violence is increasing, due to Morsi successful handling of the recent Gaza problem (The Army leadership received no credit, Morsi received all the credit, thus Morsi's ability to rule must be destroyed thus the riots).

Remember, the Constitution being proposed would END all of the emergency rules issued since the fall of Mubarak, including not only the rules issued by Morsi that everyone is objecting to, but also the rules issued by the Military leadership (and the Military leadership wants back the ability to make rules that can NOT be overturned by anyone, they want dictatorial powers, they do NOT want dictatorial power to go to a person the majority of Egyptians support.)

Some more reading on the ins and out of Egypt's politics:

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/11/30/showdown-in-egypt/

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/08/24/egyptian-military-checkmated/

Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Omaha Steve Dec 2012 OP
triplepoint Dec 2012 #1
LineLineReply Because 75% of the people support him????
happyslug Dec 2012 #2
sinkingfeeling Dec 2012 #6
bemildred Dec 2012 #8
Comrade Grumpy Dec 2012 #12
sinkingfeeling Dec 2012 #13
happyslug Dec 2012 #14
sinkingfeeling Dec 2012 #15
Alamuti Lotus Dec 2012 #4
David__77 Dec 2012 #3
sinkingfeeling Dec 2012 #7
David__77 Dec 2012 #9
Comrade Grumpy Dec 2012 #11
zellie Dec 2012 #5
Euphoria Dec 2012 #10
Posteritatis Dec 2012 #17
zellie Dec 2012 #18
Posteritatis Dec 2012 #16
Please login to view edit histories.