HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A message to those who th... » Reply #69

Response to CTyankee (Reply #68)

Sat May 26, 2012, 10:16 PM

69. Yup, I agree completely. I think I had more of a chance than many because I grew up in the 70s

and only took out the loans for grad school (in the past 15 years - not under old rates). Wages are stagnated, unions are decimated, smarter kids decide to go to college but it's much more expensive now, the list goes on and on ... And you have to go back nearly 100 years (to the 1920s) or so to find a gap so wide between the rich and poor. I blame that squarely on Reagan, who started the tinkering with the capital gains tax rates.

I don't think this is the fault of individual habits either. Many of us are great savers, others could probably learn to live within their means a little better -- BUT when we are dealing with the fact that 1% of the country controls 40% of the wealth there isn't all that much to divvy up between the remaining 60%. It's clearly a systemic problem.

Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 84 replies Author Time Post
onehandle May 2012 OP
pnwmom May 2012 #1
SunSeeker May 2012 #12
hedgehog May 2012 #15
ieoeja May 2012 #27
The Velveteen Ocelot May 2012 #28
azurnoir May 2012 #29
ieoeja May 2012 #32
pnwmom May 2012 #40
eallen May 2012 #35
rhett o rick May 2012 #50
eallen May 2012 #63
supraTruth May 2012 #71
rhett o rick May 2012 #81
eallen May 2012 #82
rhett o rick May 2012 #83
rhett o rick May 2012 #84
RKP5637 May 2012 #2
dkf May 2012 #3
ag_dude May 2012 #16
taught_me_patience May 2012 #19
Cave_Johnson May 2012 #25
ieoeja May 2012 #31
TBF May 2012 #47
dkf May 2012 #55
TBF May 2012 #56
dkf May 2012 #58
icarusxat May 2012 #59
Taverner May 2012 #4
hifiguy May 2012 #5
cthulu2016 May 2012 #6
harun May 2012 #21
louis-t May 2012 #23
Major Nikon May 2012 #26
louis-t May 2012 #37
Major Nikon May 2012 #38
progressoid May 2012 #43
dmosh42 May 2012 #7
former9thward May 2012 #11
CaliforniaPeggy May 2012 #24
former9thward May 2012 #41
CaliforniaPeggy May 2012 #42
jayschool May 2012 #49
eppur_se_muova May 2012 #8
liberal N proud May 2012 #9
Proud Liberal Dem May 2012 #60
CJCRANE May 2012 #10
hfojvt May 2012 #13
TBF May 2012 #48
hfojvt May 2012 #52
TBF May 2012 #53
hfojvt May 2012 #61
TBF May 2012 #62
hfojvt May 2012 #70
TBF May 2012 #73
hfojvt May 2012 #74
TBF May 2012 #75
FreeJoe May 2012 #77
hfojvt May 2012 #78
FreeJoe May 2012 #79
hfojvt May 2012 #80
CTyankee May 2012 #68
LineLineLineLineLineLineReply Yup, I agree completely. I think I had more of a chance than many because I grew up in the 70s
TBF May 2012 #69
randome May 2012 #14
Spoonman May 2012 #17
CJCRANE May 2012 #20
DaveJ May 2012 #30
SheilaT May 2012 #36
DaveJ May 2012 #39
SheilaT May 2012 #65
Spoonman May 2012 #33
DaveJ May 2012 #34
DaveJ May 2012 #18
lastlib May 2012 #22
ag_dude May 2012 #45
airplaneman May 2012 #44
pa28 May 2012 #46
dtom67 May 2012 #51
TBF May 2012 #54
SheilaT May 2012 #66
awoke_in_2003 May 2012 #57
sad sally May 2012 #64
TBF May 2012 #67
misshu May 2012 #72
taught_me_patience May 2012 #76
Please login to view edit histories.