Hey - want to hear my super-neat Snowden theory? [View all]
1. Snowden goes all libertarian, swipes some NSA data and reveals to the world what the NSA has been doing under authority of the Patriot Act.
2. The media, other governments, people in general have not paid attention to the Patriot Act, but having had their noses rubbed in it, are shocked by the revelations.
3. No one wants to mess with Snowden, he ends up in Russia.
4. Snowden is still holding on to NSA data. Not having context, he doesn't understand what he is holding or what it means.
5. Someone in Russia would like to get their hands on that data.
6. Morales is visiting Moscow, and tweaks the US by palling around with Snowden. Morales then leaves for home from an airport 20 miles away from where Snowden is sequestered.
7. Someone in Russia manages a marvelous play - by leaking that Snowden is on Morales' plane, minor officials across Europe panic and refuse to allow Morales to land; the governments of those countries are caught flat footed and have to apologize and deny, all of South America is insulted and angry at the US and it is impressed on Snowden that he really has nowhere to go.
8. The next step - someone in Russia convinces Snowden to hand over the NSA data.