HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » James48 » Journal
Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

James48

Profile Information

Member since: Sun Jan 3, 2010, 01:16 AM
Number of posts: 1,273

About Me

Was once a republican. long long ago, in a far, far away place. I apologize.

Journal Archives

Papa John’s franchisee is Going to Jail

Source: Fortune Magazine

A Papa John’s franchisee received a jail sentence after being charged earlier this year with not paying workers minimum wage and with falsifying documents.

Abdul Jamil Khokhar, who owns nine Papa John’s locations in New York City with BMY Foods, pled guilty to failing to pay workers in compliance with the New York Labor Law, which is a misdemeanor, and to filing false business records, a felony.

As it’s stated on the Attorney General’s website, instead of paying his employees the proper minimum overtime wages according to New York State law, Khokhar paid them the same minimum wage they would make during regular hours. To hide this illegal practice, he created fake identities under which the employees would file their overtime hours to make it look as if they were distributed among more workers. As was previously reported by Fortune, this affected the wages of over 300 current and former employees.

A civil settlement secured by the U.S. Department of Labor in July of this year required Khokhar to pay $230,000 in damages and $50,000 in civil monetary penalties. He must also pay an additional $230,000 in back pay and spend 60 days in jail, as was agreed upon during his sentencing as part of his plea deal

(more at link)

Read more: fortune.com/2015/11/16/papa-johns-franchisee-jail/



About time a crook goes to jail....

Michigan Senate votes to eliminate straight-ticket voting

Source: Michigan Live

WPBN/WGTU — LANSING - Michigan voters could no longer cast a straight ticket for a slate of candidates representing the party of their choice under legislation approved by the state Senate.

Republicans passed the bill 23-13 Tuesday, mostly along party lines.

Michigan is among 10 states to allow straight-party voting.

The Legislature voted to eliminate straight-ticket voting in 2001. But voters defeated the law in a 2002 referendum.

The legislation would appropriate $1 million for the Department of State to assess the impact of straight-party voting, assist in election fraud prevention, conduct precinct audits and provide equipment to "facilitate the integrity of the election process." The allocation makes the measure immune from a voter referendum, drawing criticism from Democrats.

Read more: http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/michigan-senate-votes-to-eliminate-straight-ticket-voting-11-11-2015



Once again Michigan republicans move against it's own citizens wishes- voters overwhelming defeated this idea at the ballot box in 2002 and now republicans conveniently add a $1 million dollar appropriation, because under Michigan's Constitution, appropriations bills can't be overturned by the voter.

Something is wrong with you if your ideas suck so bad you have to cheat to prevent voters from overturning your bad laws.

Company launches Bernie Sanders-inspired underwear line

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Employees of a Vermont company have launched a side business selling underwear featuring a black-and-white drawing of the face of Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

NECN (http://bit.ly/20el7Og ) reports that the underwear, which features the message "Feel the Bern," is available for men and women and costs $15 plus shipping and handling. The three workers with KSE Partners, a strategic communications and government affairs firm, say they created Bernie's Briefs as a fun side business.

The Vermont senator has said recently on late-night TV and talk shows that he prefers briefs over boxers.

The startup's founders called Sanders' passion for serious issues admirable. One founder says the political process has benefited from his campaign.

Ten percent of the proceeds will go toward the Yellow Ribbon Fund, which supports injured service members.


Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/company-launches-bernie-sanders-inspired-underwear-line-193805218.html

FBI says spy flights not aimed at racial groups

Source: Detroit News

The FBI was conducting a specific criminal probe and not investigating credible terror threats nor targeting racial or religious communities, the bureau told community leaders at a meeting Wednesday night.

The meeting followed a Detroit News report exposing surveillance flights across the region and Dearborn.

“We are very satisfied that the community is not being surveilled,” said Osama Siblani, publisher of the Arab American News. “There is no massive surveillance of any nature. We support whatever the FBI is doing to protect our country and our nation as long as they’re doing it according to the Constitution and under the law, and they’re targeting criminals.

Read more: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2015/08/05/fbi-denies-targeting-muslims-amid-surveillance-plane-flap/31172399/



Yeh, sure.

Move along. There is nothing to see here.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

To Help US Veterans Charity, George W. Bush Charged $100,000


By MEGAN CHUCHMACH and BRIAN ROSS,
ABC News

Former President George W. Bush charged $100,000 to speak at a charity fundraiser for U.S. military veterans severely wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan, and former First Lady Laura Bush collected $50,000 to appear a year earlier, officials of the Texas-based Helping a Hero charity confirmed to ABC News.

The former President was also provided with a private jet to travel to Houston at a cost of $20,000, the officials said.

The charity, which helps to provide specially-adapted homes for veterans who lost limbs and suffered other severe injuries in “the war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan,” said the total $170,000 expenditure was justified because the former President and First Lady offered discounted fees and helped raise record amounts in contributions at galas held in 2011 and 2012.

“It was great because he reduced his normal fee of $250,000 down to $100,000,” said Meredith Iler, the former chairman of the charity.
However, a recent report by Politico said the former President’s fees typically ranged between $100,000 and $175,000 during those years.

One of the wounded vets who served on the charity’s board told ABC News he was outraged that his former commander in chief would charge any fee to speak on behalf of men and women he ordered into harm's way.

“For him to be paid to raise money for veterans that were wounded in combat under his orders, I don’t think that’s right,” said former Marine Eddie Wright, who lost both hands in a rocket attack in Fallujah, Iraq in 2004.

More:

[link:http://news.yahoo.com/help-us-veterans-charity-george-w-bush-charged-225504539.html|

The FBI is operating a small air force to spy on Americans

Source: Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI is operating a small air force with scores of low-flying planes across the country carrying video and, at times, cellphone surveillance technology — all hidden behind fictitious companies that are fronts for the government, The Associated Press has learned.

The planes' surveillance equipment is generally used without a judge's approval, and the FBI said the flights are used for specific, ongoing investigations. In a recent 30-day period, the agency flew above more than 30 cities in 11 states across the country, an AP review found.

Aerial surveillance represents a changing frontier for law enforcement, providing what the government maintains is an important tool in criminal, terrorism or intelligence probes. But the program raises questions about whether there should be updated policies protecting civil liberties as new technologies pose intrusive opportunities for government spying.

U.S. law enforcement officials confirmed for the first time the wide-scale use of the aircraft, which the AP traced to at least 13 fake companies, such as FVX Research, KQM Aviation, NBR Aviation and PXW Services. Even basic aspects of the program are withheld from the public in censored versions of official reports from the Justice Department's inspector general.



Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-fbi-is-reportedly-operating-a-small-air-force-to-monitor-americans-2015-6#ixzz3buTvoqOC

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-fbi-is-reportedly-operating-a-small-air-force-to-monitor-americans-2015-6



Whatever happened to the 4th Amendment?

LIVE: Bernie Sanders talks to Katie Couric

"This afternoon at 3 p.m. EDT, Yahoo global news anchor Katie Couric will interview presidential hopeful Senator Bernie Sanders about his bid for the White House, whether he can realistically defeat Hillary Clinton, the midnight expiration of controversial provisions of the Patriot Act and why he may be voting for the USA Freedom Act, which would allow some counterterrorism tools — including the NSA’s controversial bulk data collection — to continue.

The longest-serving independent in U.S. congressional history, the Vermont senator, who calls himself a socialist, entered the race to win the Democratic nomination on April 30. Last week, in a more formal campaign launch against the backdrop of Lake Champlain in Burlington, Vt., Sanders promised to “fight to protect working families” and warned the nation’s billionaires that they “can’t have it all.”



Link to amazing video of Katie Couric interview this afternoon:
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/bernie-sanders-talks-to-katie-couric-this-120458581061.html

Two Deputies Tased in mental health incident

Video Released Of Taser Incident Involving Livingston County Jail Inmate
WHMI.com


Video has been released that shows a Livingston County Jail inmate wrestling during a confrontation with deputies, including two who were accidentally hit with a Taser while trying to restrain him. The Livingston County Sheriff’s Department released video of the Tuesday morning scuffle that involved as many as eight deputies and 29-year-old David Wayne New of Brighton. New was brought in to the jail the night before but got into a confrontation with deputies after he was able to exit his cell and asked to make a phone call. When he refused to return to his cell, four deputies approached, with one forcibly pushing him back into the cell. When he began yelling at deputies about hearing voices in his head, they removed him to a single person cell. Things got physical once deputies tried to restrain New, who resisted the deputies efforts to restrain him. In the process of the scuffle, Tasers were deployed and two deputies were accidentally shocked before New was restrained. The deputies suffered just minor injuries. New is charged with two counts of felonious assault stemming from the incident in Green Oak Township that led to his arrest. A probable cause hearing is scheduled April 28th in that case. Meanwhile, the Livingston County Prosecutor’s Office has since authorized a four count complaint against New on charges of assaulting/resisting/obstructing a police officer. (JM/JK)

Massive U.S. 23 pileup: 2 in critical condition, freeway expected to be closed for hours

Source: MLIVE

Another massive Michigan pile-up in the snow early this afternoon.


"Two men were taken to the hospital in critical condition after a massive pileup on U.S. 23 south of Ann Arbor, officials said.

Both men needed to be extricated from their vehicles, according to Pittsfield Township Fire Chief.

Officials did not immediately have ages of the men. Both required extensive rescue efforts to be pulled from their vehicles.

One man was inside a car that was underneath a semi truck, Gleason said. The other man was in a separate semi truck. Crews also performed a complex rescue to free him, Gleason said.

There were at least seven semis involved and 20-plus cars in the pileup, according to officials. U.S. 23 was shut down between Willis and Plank roads and was expected to be well into Friday evening as crews clean up. There was a diesel gas spill crews were contending with, as well.

As of 2 p.m., rescue efforts had been completed. Gleason said two other people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

The crashes stretched at least an eighth of a mile long on U.S. 23.

One semi crash was so severe, the cab came apart from the chassis, Gleason said.

"It was a horrendous," he said. "I've never seen anything like that."

A semi that crashed with a couple cars at the beginning of the accidents is believed to have started a chain reaction, Gleason said.

Washtenaw County Dispatch confirmed the highway was closed in the southbound direction at 12:52 p.m.

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/01/massive_us_23_pileup_2_in_crit.html#incart_river



Another Michigan Massive Pile Up- this time on US-23 south of Ann Arbor, near Milan, Michigan.

Freeway closed.

Local reports are saying more than 50 cars and 7 semi-trucks tangled in this one, and that the highway may be closed for some time.



Update- both directions are now closed. Here is an updated link :

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/01/massive_pileup_on_us_23_shuts.html#incart_related_stories

Selective Service System Equality?

Selective Service System


► Women Draft Registration Could be Next


As Norway became the first NATO country to require women to register for the draft this month, it has
American military analysts debating whether the US could be on the verge of taking the same step, too. It
was back in 1981 that the US Supreme Court ruled that requiring only men to register for the draft was
constitutional, since there were US laws that banned women from fighting in combat. Essentially, the
argument went, since the purpose of registration for selective service -which all men must do at the age of
18, regardless of whether there is a draft in effect –is to prepare for combat, and women are excluded from
combat, then they would not be needed in the event of a draft. But with the Pentagon’s decision to lift the
ban on women in combat by January 2016– and its move in recent months to open a number of jobs to female
troops previously held only by men - those Supreme Court arguments from 33 years ago may no longer
apply, analysts note, adding that mandatory registration for the draft may be the next logical step.


“It’s a social contract with democracy–that’s my take on it,” says Shelly Burgoyne, a former Army
officer who served two tours of duty in Iraq during the war and believes women should be requi
red to add their names to the Selective Service registry. “If you’re going to take advantage of all of the benefits of a
democracy, then I think you should also bear the responsibility as well.” A former platoon leader running
supply convoys, Ms. Burgoyne says she did not initially think that women should be allowed to serve in
combat jobs and even wrote her senior thesis laying out the reasons why they shouldn’t. Her beliefs changed,
she says, after her time in Iraq. “I saw women physically able to do it,” she says. “I did a full-on reversal
–if you can do the job, then you can do the job.” A congressionally chartered association of US military reservists
recently passed a resolution last year calling for the registration of women for the Selective Service as well,
noting that 14 percent of active duty troops and nearly one -fifth of National Guard and Reserves are now
women.

Even though 275,000 women have deployed to fight America’s recent wars, “an inequality exists between
men and women between the ages of 18 -26 under the Selective Service Act,” the Reserve Officers
Association of the United States notes. “Women should be treated equally as responsible, competent,
contributing members of America’s society. While men are required to register for the Selective Service,
there has not been a draft in the United States since the Vietnam -war era. Pentagon brass strongly believes
that the current all -volunteer force performs much better than a conscripted force would. The presence of
women on the rolls has the potential to make a draft even less politically palatable. Yet there are other
possibilities in the event of a national emergency in which the draft is activated, says retired Maj. Gen.
Charles Dunlap, the former deputy judge advocate general of the Air Force and now the executive director
of the Center on Law, Ethics and National Security at Duke University School of Law in Durham, N.C.
Congress might say, for example, that the national emergency requires 95 percent of draftees to be
fighters, or infantry.

A draft bill might argue that since, say, 95 percent of infantry troops are men, then the national emergency
would require 95 percent of men to be called up, and 5 percent of women, Mr. Dunlap notes. In that case,
the law might say that the 5 per cent requirement could be filled by female volunteers, rather than conscripts, he adds. “There would be a relatively small number of women who would want to do it and be able to pass the test,” Dunlap argues. “Those that wanted to do it and could would be welcomed into the unit, because they would be extraordinary people,” he adds. “I don’t see thousands and thousands of women in the infantry.”


http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2014/1028/With-US-women-soon-eligible-for-combat-the-draft-could-be-next
Go to Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »