HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Hissyspit » Journal
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU
Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next »

Hissyspit

Profile Information

Member since: Fri Nov 12, 2004, 07:39 AM
Number of posts: 43,340

Journal Archives

Here's the Shirtless Photo FBI Agent Sent Jill Kelley

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/269173856646864896/photo/1

Court: Michigan's Ban on Affirmative Action is Unconstitutional

Source: Detroit Free Press

Court: Michigan's ban on affirmative action is unconstitutional

2:40 PM, November 15, 2012
By Paul Egan
Detroit Free Press Lansing Bureau

LANSING — The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals has declared unconstitutional Michigan’s ban on affirmative action, which was approved by voters in a 2006 ballot initiative, Proposal 2.

The majority opinion in a divided court said the state ban on affirmative action violated the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution by making it more difficult for a minority student to get a university to adopt a race-conscious admissions policy than it is for a white student to get a university to adopt an admissions policy that considers family alumni connections.

“This is a tremendous victory for students,” said Detroit attorney George Washington, who represented the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action in the case.

“It means that thousands of black students and Latino students will have the chance to go to college they never would have had.”

Read more: http://www.freep.com/article/20121115/NEWS06/121115041/The-U-S-6th-Circuit-Court-of-Appeals

Occupy Debt-Relief Campaign Buys $100,000 Worth of Medical Debt

Source: Raw Story

Occupy debt-relief campaign buys $100,000 worth of debt

By Arturo Garcia
Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:58 EST

Members of a debt relief project borne from the Occupy Wall Street campaign said Wednesday they have purchased more than $100,000 worth of medical debt in a second trial run for their efforts.

Thomas Gokey, a spokesperson for the Rolling Jubilee campaign, said the debt was purchased for $5,000. Earlier this year, the group bought $14,000 worth of debt for $500.

- snip -

A fundraising concert is scheduled to be held Thursday in New York City, with the group seeking to raise $50,000 in order to buy — and wipe out — $1 million worth of medical debt.

Gokey said the group behind the project, Strike Debt, had bought its own 501 c(4) to manage the funds it manages to raise, and that his group was working with unspecified “business insiders,” lawyers and accountants. While the campaign is not targeting individual debtors in its purchases, people who are part of the buys will be notified soon that their obligations have been discharged.

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/15/occupy-debt-relief-campaign-buys-100000-worth-of-debt

Chrysler to Spend $238 Million, Add 1,250 Jobs in Michigan

Source: Reuters

Chrysler to spend $238 million, add 1,250 jobs in Michigan

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00pm EST

(Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC, the U.S. automaker majority owned by Fiat SpA, said on Thursday it will invest $238 million to boost engine and truck production in Michigan and add up to 1,250 jobs to meet new demand.

The company is spending $198 million to make its Pentastar V6 engine at the Mack I Engine Plant, which currently builds a larger engine for the Ram 1500 truck. Production will begin in early 2014 and Chrysler may add up to 250 jobs there, subject to market conditions.

The automaker is spending $40 million to install a flexible production line at its Trenton North plant, which can build both the V-6 engine and the Tigershark four-cylinder engine.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8AE1CC20121115

Secretary of State Clinton to Testify Before Congress on Benghazi Attack, Congresswoman Says

Source: Reuters

Clinton to testify on Benghazi before US House committee -chairwoman

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:51am EST

WASHINGTON, Nov 15 (Reuters) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will testify before a congressional committee next month on the handling of the deadly Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, a senior lawmaker said on Thursday.

"The secretary has committed to testifying before our committee ... on the Accountability Review Board's report, which is expected to be concluded by early to mid-December," said Republican Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, chairwoman of the House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs.

The State Department launched an independent Accountability Review Board to review the circumstances surrounding the Benghazi attack, which killed four Americans including U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens.


Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1E8MF5WE20121115

Breaking - Source: BP Expected to Admit Criminal Conduct in 2010 Spill

Source: Reuters

By Chris Baltimore

HOUSTON (Reuters) - BP Plc is expected to plead guilty to criminal misconduct in the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster through a plea agreement it has reached with the U.S. Department of Justice that may be announced as soon as Thursday, according to two sources familiar with discussions.

The sources, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said that BP will plead guilty in exchange for a waiver of future prosecution on the charges.

- snip -

It is unclear what form of criminal misconduct BP will plead guilty to. In an August filing, the Department of Justice said "reckless management" of the Macondo well "constituted gross negligence and willful misconduct," which it intended to prove at a pending civil trial set to begin in New Orleans in February 2013.

It is also unclear whether the deal will resolve any civil charges brought by the Justice Department, and how large a financial penalty BP might pay to resolve them.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8AE08F20121115



@Reuters: NEWSFLASH: BP agreement with Justice Department will include largest criminal penalty in U.S. history - source

Cybersecurity Bill Dead After Second U.S. Senate Rebuff

Source: Reuters

Cybersecurity bill dead after second U.S. Senate rebuff

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:12pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid declared a U.S. cybersecurity bill, opposed by business and privacy groups, dead on Wednesday after it failed a test vote for the second time.

The bill would have increased information-sharing between intelligence agencies and private companies. It also would have set voluntary standards for businesses that control electric grids or water treatment plants.

Business groups opposed the bill as overregulation and privacy groups worried it might open the door to Internet eavesdropping.

"Everyone should understand cybersecurity is dead for this Congress," said Reid, a Democrat, adding, "Whatever we do on this bill, it's not enough for the Chamber of Commerce."

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8AE04720121115

Relaxed Yet Feisty, Obama Lays Out Second-Term Agenda

Source: Reuters

Relaxed yet feisty, Obama lays out second-term agenda

WASHINGTON | Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:45pm EST

By Jeff Mason and Mark Felsenthal

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama laid out his second-term agenda on Wednesday, expressing a willingness to work with Republicans in Congress and a resolve to defy them if necessary.

In his first full-scale news conference since March, Obama said he was willing to compromise with Republicans to forge a deal on the nation's debt and taxes to avoid the "fiscal cliff," a combination of budget cuts and tax increases that will kick in next year if such an agreement is not reached.

But he said he would not abandon his campaign pledge to allow Bush-era tax cuts on the top 2 percent of U.S. earners to expire.

He also launched a feisty defense of his United Nations ambassador, Susan Rice, pushing back against two Republican senators who said they would not support her nomination for a Cabinet post because she made misleading statements about the September attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya that killed four Americans.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8AE02X20121115

Veteran F.B.I. Agent Helped Start Petraeus E-Mail Inquiry (Identified as Frederick W. Humphries II)

Source: New York Times

Veteran F.B.I. Agent Helped Start Petraeus E-Mail Inquiry

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT, SCOTT SHANE and ALAIN DELAQUÉRIÈRE
Published: November 14, 2012

DOVER, Fla. — The F.B.I. agent who helped start the investigation that led to the resignation of David H. Petraeus as C.I.A. director is a “hard-charging” veteran counterterrorism investigator who used his command of French in investigating the foiled “millennium” terrorist plot in 1999, colleagues said on Wednesday.

The agent, Frederick W. Humphries II, 47, took the initial complaint from Jill Kelley, the Tampa, Fla., hostess who was socially active in military circles there, about e-mails she found disturbing that accused her of inappropriately flirtatious behavior toward Mr. Petraeus. The subsequent cyberstalking investigation uncovered an extramarital affair between Mr. Petraeus and Paula Broadwell, his biographer, who agents determined had sent the anonymous e-mails. It also ensnared Gen. John R. Allen, who now commands troops in Afghanistan, after the investigation discovered that he had sent “inappropriate communication” to Ms. Kelley.

Colleagues and news reports described the role of Mr. Humphries, in just his third year at the F.B.I., in building the case against Ahmed Ressam, who was detained as he tried to enter the United States from Canada in 1999 with a plan to set off a bomb at Los Angeles International Airport.

In May 2010, after he had moved to the Tampa field office, Mr. Humphries was attacked outside the gate of MacDill Air Force Base by a disturbed knife-wielding man. He fatally shot the man, and the shooting was later ruled to be an appropriate use of force, according to bureau records and colleagues.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/us/frederick-humphries-fbi-agent-in-petraeus-case.html

Survivors File U.N. Complaint Against Canada for Failing to Prosecute George W. Bush for Torture

Source: Center for Constitutional Rights

Survivors File U.N. Complaint Against Canada for Failing to Prosecute George W. Bush for Torture

press@ccrjustice.org

November 14, 2012, Vancouver and New York— Today, four torture survivors filed a complaint against Canada with the United Nations Committee against Torture for the country’s failure to investigate and prosecute former President George W. Bush during his visit to British Columbia last year. As a signatory to the Convention against Torture, Canada has an obligation to investigate and prosecute a torture suspect on its soil. This is the first time a complaint concerning torture allegations against a high-level U.S. official has been filed with the U.N. Committee. The Canadian Centre for International Justice (CCIJ) and the U.S.-based Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) filed the complaint on the men’s behalf.

- snip -

The four men – Hassan bin Attash, Sami el-Hajj, Muhammed Khan Tumani and Murat Kurnaz – found their long quest for justice stymied in October 2011. Canada’s Attorney General refused to conduct a criminal investigation against Mr. Bush, and the Attorney General of British Columbia swiftly intervened to shut down a private criminal prosecution submitted to a provincial court in her jurisdiction during Mr. Bush’s visit. This occurred despite the groups’ submission of a 69-page draft indictment and approximately 4000 pages of evidence against Bush consisting of extensive reports and investigations conducted by multiple U.S. agencies and the United Nations.

The Committee against Torture can require Canada to explain the actions that led to the case being closed without any investigation and can then issue a decision on whether Canada has breached its obligations under the convention. If the committee finds Canada in violation, it can specify appropriate remedial measures.

“Through this process, the world can learn whether Canada’s actions were grounded in law or in politics. Canada’s refusal to investigate and prosecute George W. Bush marked a low-point in the ongoing struggle to end impunity for torturers and denied these men the opportunity to achieve some measure of justice,” said Katherine Gallagher, Senior Staff Attorney at CCR and legal representative for the men.“They now call upon the Committee to send a clear message that states must uphold their obligations under the Convention against Torture and cannot allow other factors – including political considerations – to interfere with the commitment to end impunity for torturers.”

Read more: http://ccrjustice.org/newsroom/press-releases/survivors-file-u.n.-complaint-against-canada-failing-prosecute-george-w.-bush-torture
Go to Page: « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next »