HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Welcome & Help (Forum) » My Christmas present this...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:49 AM

My Christmas present this year from DU.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by cbayer (a host of the Welcome & Help forum).

For Christmas this year I have been blocked from the Barack Obama group. I was advised of this on Christmas Eve.

I who spent countless hours this fall standing outside grocery stores, walking precincts, registering voters, making phone calls to voters and to volunteers.

And why have I been banned?

I imagine that it is because I dared to speak out against Barack Obama's offering to cut Social Security benefits for seniors like me and those poorer than me in exchange for saving the military budget over the next years.

Like it or not, Barack Obama really did offer to cut Social Security benefits. There are no two ways about it. Like it or not, those benefits do not cause and do not contribute to our deficit.

Like it or not, we seniors earned those benefits and the interest that the slight increase that we receive in benefits represents over the exact number of dollars we put in beginning when we were just kids.

And the "wealthier" among us who receive maybe $2000 dollars a month back put even more of their hard-earned contributions into the Social Security system than those of us who receive considerably less.

I am speaking the truth, reminding DUers of facts, of facts that, if ignored, will cause immense pain and suffering in a specific population in our country. A population that is ignored and that suffers in silence -- the very elderly, those with severe disabilities including the dying.

Because the way that the chained CPI that Barack Obama, yes, Barack Obama, is offering like the head of John the Baptist to the sadistic Salomes of the Republican Party, will not hurt those of us who are young and still volunteering and still able to care for ourselves. It will not hurt us until we are old and feeble and lying in our urine in nursing homes, bed sores scarring our backs and buttocks.

I was advised that I can ask someone why I was banned from the Barack Obama group. Thank you. I will not mention the name because I mean no personal offense. The person or people who banned me did it in the belief that they were doing the right thing. But I don't need to ask anyone why I was banned. I already know: Because I spoke an unpleasant truth.

May I remind those in charge of that group that, if you are not yourself a senior at this time, you will be. Unless you die first, you too, will one day thank Barack Obama and John Boehner for the chained CPI.

And let me remind you that because the same principle will apply to Social Security benefits after the application of the chained CPI that applies to compound interest, the younger you are, the more Social Security benefits will have dwindled in buying power when you retire. Because the small difference that the chained CPI means now will take a larger and larger bite as initial benefits become smaller and smaller. The chained CPI could eventually eat the whole of a generation's Social Security benefits.

Meanwhile, the generals and their war machine become stronger and stronger and have less and less to do with defending America and more and more to do with controlling Americans -- you and me -- and taking from Americans -- my children and maybe you.

So, I hope that you who are in the Barack Obama group enjoy your dissident-free, criticism-free love feast with Barack Obama. I love him too. But that does not mean that I think he is perfect.

The chained CPI is just one of many policy directions that Barack Obama should not take. We all make mistakes. Doesn't mean he is evil. It means he is mistaken and should not adopt that policy.

Merry Christmas, Barack Obama group.

4 replies, 1099 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply My Christmas present this year from DU. (Original post)
JDPriestly Dec 2012 OP
Fridays Child Dec 2012 #1
JDPriestly Dec 2012 #2
grantcart Dec 2012 #3
cbayer Dec 2012 #4

Response to JDPriestly (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 04:11 AM

1. Thank you for speaking out.

It is possible to admire President Obama, to work for his election, stand behind most of what he says and does, and still disagree, even vehemently, with one or more of his policy decisions. Nobody is right about all things--or wrong about all things, for that matter. Most Liberals understand this. It's one of the biggest differences between us and Conservatives. It's that "nuance" thing and it drives a lot of Republicans crazy.

If signaling my support of you also gets me banned from that group, so be it.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Fridays Child (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 04:30 AM

2. Thanks. I didn't realize that I was posting in that group.

Funny thing is that I really, really like Obama. But -- it isn't important, however, our unwillingness to listen to ideas and opinions simply because we don't agree with them limits our understanding. And that is sad.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list. I have discovered that I can learn to like and even change my mind and agree with people that I might have ignored.

In particular, on DU, it is unfortunate when DUers insist on a certain ideological purity to such an extreme that they cannot accept any open discussion about what might be wrong in the current administration's policies. That is really sad. Because it forecloses the opportunity for DU to be an engine for change. And I very much think that DU should be an engine for change.

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:53 PM

3. There are plenty of forums and groups where you are welcome to post your policy

objections about the President. Given that is what GD and Politics 2012 I found it difficult to understand why you feel a need to post it in the BOG, but your reply above indicates that weren't even aware that you were posting in the BOG.

This post is similarly in the wrong forum, IMO, it has nothing to do with Welcome and Help.

It should be posted in Meta. I only found this thread because someone has made a note in the Forums & Group Hosts. You may be asked to repost it there.

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 04:31 PM

4. This is more appropriate for the meta forum. Please feel free to repost it there.