HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Welcome & Help (Forum) » How can I get my sig line...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:17 PM

How can I get my sig line to wrap in order to display the quote properly?

4 replies, 1175 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply How can I get my sig line to wrap in order to display the quote properly? (Original post)
Jackpine Radical Nov 2012 OP
Make7 Nov 2012 #1
Bill USA Nov 2012 #2
Make7 Nov 2012 #3
Bill USA Nov 2012 #4

Response to Jackpine Radical (Original post)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:17 PM

1. This is perhaps the best solution...

Last edited Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:50 PM - Edit history (1)

[div style=display:table;width:100%;][div style=display:table-row;][div class=post-sig style=display:table-cell;]http://i.imgur.com/fzHCL.jpg[/div][div style=display:table-cell;vertical-align:bottom;][p class=post-sig]Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone. --John Maynard Keynes[/p][/div][/div][/div]

... although it may not work on older browsers. The code ended up exceeding the 400 character limit, so I resized your picture to the 100px height limit and uploaded it to imgur to allow more characters for the code.

ETA - added white space on right side of picture

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Make7 (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:18 PM

2. jesus! Comp Sci grad? I'm used to ETA meaning "Est. Time (of) Arrival". My guess is you mean

something else. Can you enlighten the cyber acronym challenged?

I admire your facility with html. I didn't know you could format the signature block.

your tip recommended, bookmarked. (interested in doing any tutorials?)

Reply to this post

Response to Bill USA (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:57 PM

3. ETA = edited to add

Well... I'm not sure if you're supposed to format your signature - the Admins may have made some stuff not work on purpose so people won't, on the other hand they still allow the [div] tag - which leaves a lot of possibilities. The [font] tag can also be used instead of a [span] tag (which isn't allowed).

The secret for coding signatures (don't tell anyone - it's a secret) is that you can't use quotation marks; the DU3 software turns them into html entities which means they aren't interpreted as code formatting. Most browsers seem to be okay if you use single-quotes, although I have just been omitting the quotes altogether - just make sure not to use any spaces in what would normally be quoted. The challenge is to get some useful formatting and content without exceeding the 400 character limit.

The issue in the OP's case was that signatures are limited to a height of 100 pixels, since the text is aligned with the bottom of the image anything wrapped around gets hidden because it falls below the 100 visible pixel height. My solution is to use a CSS table which will make any wrapped text bump the entire text up and therefore make it all visible (although at some point the window can be made too narrow and the text will get cut off at the bottom). This is basically how it should work (you can narrow your browser window to see the text reformat itself to accommodate different widths):

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone. --John Maynard Keynes

Unfortunately there are so many possibilities with CSS that I can't think of a reasonable way to do an instructional post. I've just been pointing people to w3schools if they want to learn more. I have done OP's about the html tags that work here and also problems and solutions with putting links in posts.

There are quite a few people well versed in this stuff here at DU, so if you're trying to do something and seem to be stuck then start a thread about it. Usually someone will show up with some ideas. People can also PM me directly, but sometimes I'm away from DU for days or weeks, so don't expect an answer right away - eventually I'll respond though.

And as a favor to me, to anyone formatting their signature, can you use the class=post-sig selector in any [div] or [p] elements with content? I am hiding signatures with a User Style Sheet and it only works on the post-sig class. Thanks.

-Make7

Reply to this post

Response to Make7 (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:57 PM

4. Excellent! I didn't know about your earlier posts on html tags. thankyou. I like tables for just

the reason you mentioned. they allow text to slide to accomodate to the size of the cell. Particularly helpful when browser the window shrinks, as in the case of a new window on top of current window (which will be smaller than current w). I am never confident about what DU software will allow, so I tend not to experiment (usu. don't want to take the time).

thanks again. Now, I must go over your cmt again..... and take notes!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread