HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » History of Feminism (Group) » "How to spot a misog...

Sun Nov 10, 2013, 04:04 PM

"How to spot a misogynist"

Do any of these sound familiar?

If you want to see real oppression, go to the Middle East.

The problems here are threefold. First, it implies women in the west should be grateful for the benevolence of their natural overlords. Who cares if 1 in 3 of you will experience sexual assault in your lifetime, while also enjoying the privilege of lower pay than your male counterparts and the symbolic annihilation of yourselves in literature and film? In case you didnít know, women in Afghanistan are being stoned to death. So why donít you just go ahead and submit your complaint to the STFU file . . .

4. Itís a science thing

ďLook, men and women are built differently. Itís biological. Men are more visual, women are more emotional. Thatís why more men are in executive roles. Itís about merit. If women were better, they wouldnít be so crap. I didnít make the rules.Ē

And the ever so popular

5. Men are oppressed too, therefore women arenít! Or something.

ĎIf feminists really cared about equality, theyíd be addressing all the inequality that faces men. Like, why do feminists only care about breast cancer and not prostate cancer? Why arenít feminists advocating for single dads? Why wonít women sleep with me when Iím a really nice guy and Iíve made a particular effort to be nice to them, particularly? Until feminism can answer that, Iím afraid I donít really see it as being legitimate.Ē

This is the last bastion of the misogynistís argument Ė their self fancying checkmate, if you will. What these people are basically saying is that, despite the overwhelming evidence of entrenched sexual, physical and ideological oppression of women, the only way feminism can really be fair is if it first identifies and solves all of the ways in which the patriarchy also oppresses men.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/how-to-spot-a-misogynist-20120430-1xueh.html

9 replies, 1514 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to BainsBane (Original post)

Sun Nov 10, 2013, 04:12 PM

1. Absolutely nailed it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 10, 2013, 04:43 PM

2. I wouldn't change a single word of this one

and it's as true here in the USA as it is in Oz.

Those aren't seismic rumblings we all feel. It's the grumbling from men's rights groups over this one.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 17, 2013, 11:28 AM

8. i do not believe it is merely mens rights, but men as a whole. a gender afraid of losing something.

a gender fearful of losing their identity. and that is the reality we face.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 11, 2013, 01:07 PM

3. I'm constantly annoyed with these.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 12, 2013, 04:53 PM

4. We see a lot of that last one

as well as the first one.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 16, 2013, 09:57 PM

5. I went a couple rounds with somebody who insisted that because most feminists don't focus

on abuse of male prisoners, that that means feminism as a whole isn't really about equality. I pointed out that non-feminists don't exactly focus much on issues of concern to women - or, generally speaking, on "men's issues" either, beyond a few message board posts.

Reply to this post

Response to nomorenomore08 (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 16, 2013, 10:00 PM

6. I know who you mean

He fits number 5 perfectly. Then there is another who insists that objecting to girls being called "sluts" is misandry.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 17, 2013, 07:39 AM

7. But but but he wasn't calling *those* girls sluts...

...he was just saying they needed to stop acting like... you know, those *other* girls who are actually sluts. Because, y'know, REAL sluts (but not those girls because they are probably just impersonating sluts) are a horribly bad thing and no self respecting girl should dress or act like one.

Or something.

That "logic" was hilarious.

His version of "misandry" = "some woman on the internet disagreed with me".

Reply to this post

Response to MadrasT (Reply #7)

Sun Nov 17, 2013, 11:31 AM

9. i still want to know if i go to the store, and promise not to have sex, if i am free and clear

of being called a slut. or, since girls are called sluts walking down the street, if i need to stop walking down the street.

is the girl that has never even kissed but entices men a slut?

i need mens direction so i can avoid the mine field of being a slut

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread