HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » History of Feminism (Group) » Ignoring sexism in politi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:25 AM

Ignoring sexism in politics doesnt eliminate it.

For example this article, “How to be Successful in Leadership Positions for Women” by Herminia Ibarra in the Harvard Business Review makes some excellent points. It addresses the many ways that women are expected to go above and beyond the expectations placed on their male counterparts in politics and in leadership positions. Ibarra highlights how women in leadership roles are criticized if they are not perfect in both appearance and performance. Simultaneously, she argues, women politicians are expected to “tone it down” so that they don’t seem too harsh. Deemed the “Damned If You Do, Doomed If You Don’t” dilemma, women face many professional challenges that men don’t face—and that’s just before they even get down to the nitty-gritty task of getting the actual work done.

“For instance, in a recent interview with members of Hillary Clinton's press corps, a veteran reporter said: ‘The story is never what she says, as much as we want it to be. The story is always how she looked when she said it.’ Clinton says she doesn't fight it anymore; she focuses on getting the job done.”

Well, that’s one way of dealing with things. But time and time again, we’ve seen that simply ignoring sexism in the media and the workplace doesn’t do anything to stop it. In fact, studies show that even slight sexism hurts a woman’s campaign; while confronting sexism helps her campaign win back lost ground.

And the media is the other problem. The “veteran reporter” in the aforementioned quote claims that they would like the story to be about what Clinton says versus how she looks. So why not report on that? The media is not helpless in addressing the sexism of its own content.

http://www.nameitchangeit.org/blog/entry/ignoring-sexism-in-politics-doesnt-eliminate-it

12 replies, 988 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to seabeyond (Original post)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM

1. As an example of physical comments about Hillary.

Upon returning to work after her stint in the hospital recently, she was seen sporting those black rimmed glasses. Not so nice comments from some, but heck! I thought looked fabulous in those glasses.

Unbeknownst to me, she had to wear those due to her injury. Hope she keeps them as one of her fashion accessories.

Very Rachel-esque.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Helen Reddy (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:38 AM

2. lol. i am a particular fan of studies saying... SPEAK OUT. it helps, lol.

a firm believer.

ya... hillary has gotten her share, for sure.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:40 AM

3. "So why do we continue to ignore sexism when it does nothing to advance our goals ...

(or anyone else’s for that matter)?"

Most of the lame excuses I hear are versions of 'by addressing "lighthearted" sexism you're hurting the cause', 'these other problems matter that one doesn't', 'you're making women look weak', etc. Etc. Etc. Ad nauseam.

It's a bunch of patriarchy-serving bullshit, but I hear it from women, even. Far too often. Fucking pathetic.

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:49 AM

4. making women perpetual victims. the thing? it takes a hell of a lot of courage to speak up.

it is easy to stay quiet. to be liked. to not rock the boat.

to speak up, is to lose everything.

tell me how that makes me a fuckin weak.

Reply to this post

Response to seabeyond (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:53 AM

5. You don't get pats on the head from society for speaking up, no. nt

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:58 AM

6. yes, there are always more important issues upong which we must focus our time and energy.

our lives are NOT important.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:00 PM

7. Well, it's kind of the media's job to ignore essentials and concentrate on cosmetics.

Mr Rubio's recent water break being a good example.

And of course, not just the media. If I had a nickel for every post at DU gushing about how beautiful Mrs Clinton or Mrs Obama is, I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not SS will continue to be funded.

But then, how many times last year did we see references to how beautiful Mr Ryan was?

Of course, the difference is that it is obligatory to talk about what a babe any prominent female is, but it is optional for males. And I haven't seen any movement on that front in all my years of sapience.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #7)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:16 PM

8. not sure on some of your post. the over all agree.

i do not like those posts that are always talking about michelles looks and dress. i think it absolutely feeds it. but.... women get options of wearing all kinds of styles, and i gotta tell you, her creative fashion is interesting. though the posts i like about michelle is what she does. so i agree with you on that.

ryan? i only saw more mock. that was purely media hyping his physical attraction, and yes, it was on par of what they do with females. and agree, a must with women, optional with men. but i did not see du necessarily doing it.

rubio, ya. chuckled with hubby on the extremism of that item.

Reply to this post

Response to seabeyond (Reply #8)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:20 PM

9. The Ryan point was intended to be about the media.

My bad. Of course DU didn't gush about how beautiful he was. I have, however, seen one or two passing references to what a hunk Mr Obama is...

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:35 PM

10. true that. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 01:33 PM

11. This

Hillary Clinton: Badass, continued
byKaili Joy GrayforDaily Kos
211 Comments / 211 New

Hillary Clinton's badassery knows no bounds:
Interviewer: Okay. Which designers do you prefer?
Hillary Clinton: What designers of clothes?

Interviewer: Yes.

Hillary Clinton: Would you ever ask a man that question?

Interviewer: Probably not. Probably not.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/18/1120088/-Hillary-Clinton-Badass-continued#

Reply to this post

Response to ismnotwasm (Reply #11)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 01:38 PM

12. i was looking for that video and got distracted. ya, that. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread