HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » History of Feminism (Group) » Regarding any & all d...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:29 PM

Regarding any & all disputes with the Mens Group and/or the members thereof:

This discussion thread was locked by boston bean (a host of the History of Feminism group).

Regarding any & all disputes with the Mens Group and/or the members thereof:

The hosts of both groups have come to a mutual understanding that we believe it would be in all of our best interest, as well as the best interest of DU as a whole, if we could try and put the inter-group feuding behind us.

To this end, the hosts of History of Feminism join with those of the Men's Group to suggest the following guidelines be followed from here on out by members of our respective groups:

One, the primary function of each group is to discuss issues of interest to the group- not to discuss DU or how DU feels or doesnít feel about those issues. There certainly may be times when the groups are discussing the same topic as is being discussed elsewhere on DU, however, the group should be a place for issue-based discussion, not "what they're saying somewhere else on DU" discussion. On DU2 there was a clause in the rules about not using groups to "rally the troops". We think observing the spirit of that rule would go a long way toward ameliorating many of the inter-group problems that have developed on DU3, not just the ones between TMG and HoF.

Two, perhaps even more importantly, there should be no call-outs, either direct or oblique, of other DU members, inside the groups. Such things belong in meta, as does "complaining about DU". However, the hosts are also intending to take an active role (as much as possible) to keep our respective regular members from perpetuating group feuds in meta as well. We obviously cannot tell anyone what to do in meta, however we are going to ask our respective members, while in meta, to be aware of and respect the spirit of this truce.

Three, in line with not calling out members and not discussing DU as opposed to the issues, we are asking our members to refrain from using well known dog whistles which can be taken as sideswipes against the other group- phrases like "radfems" or "Dworkinite" or "MRA types/talking points".

Four, hosts and the groups at large canít be responsible for every poster who posts or has posted in our respective groups. Since our groups having been points of friction in the past, they may have attracted folks whose real agenda seems to be not of advancing a particular point of ideology so much as to deliberately foment fighting and strife on DU.

Five, a member block is a tool to halt an ongoing and escalating group disruption, where personal entreaties to the offending poster by host(s) goes unanswered. In the event an active member of either group is blocked, members should respect that there is a mechanism for the blocked member to appeal that block through direct communication with the host(s) of the group and encourage that process to be undertaken and completed.

The experiment that is DU3 is almost a year old. It has involved no small measure of testing, reshuffling, growth, and certainly some friction. At this point I think we all know who is who, and where the boundaries are, and the points of difference as well as what we have in common. We certainly have not been blameless in all of this- for our part. We apologize and pledge to try to do better.

The members of both groups are good committed democrats. We believe the objectives of both groups are to support fairness, freedom and equality. By extension, this requires members of both groups to support reproductive choice, opposition to bigotry, homophobia, misandry, misogyny and all forms of discrimination, violence and hate. On this, we find common ground.

We would like 2013 to see our two groups work harmoniously on the many things - the majority - that we agree on.

17 replies, 2919 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Regarding any & all disputes with the Mens Group and/or the members thereof: (Original post)
boston bean Dec 2012 OP
msongs Dec 2012 #1
Control-Z Dec 2012 #3
Little Star Dec 2012 #8
lumberjack_jeff Dec 2012 #12
MadrasT Dec 2012 #2
Tumbulu Dec 2012 #5
MiddleFingerMom Dec 2012 #4
Tumbulu Dec 2012 #6
Little Star Dec 2012 #10
boston bean Dec 2012 #7
Little Star Dec 2012 #9
Texasgal Dec 2012 #11
ismnotwasm Dec 2012 #13
Hatchling Dec 2012 #14
LineNew Reply .
redqueen Jan 2013 #15
hlthe2b Jan 2013 #16
boston bean Mar 2013 #17

Response to boston bean (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:34 PM

1. there is a "men's group" here? never seen a post from it on the latest page nt

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:19 PM

3. This gives me opportunity to ask

a question. Do all OPs - from every group and forum - appear on the Latest page? I know that on DU2 group OPs weren't displayed or rec'd. There was a certain comfort to that while at the same time it might cause one to feel like a naughty child in time out. I've never quite figured it out here on DU3.

Response to Control-Z (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:14 AM

8. That's a good question...

I think it goes by how many rec's a OP has in any forum/group but I'm not sure.

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:13 AM

12. Under the "latest threads" tab...

... there is a black banner labeled "show" which offers an array of drop-downs to control the types of posts are displayed on the "latest" page.

Props to Warren and Bean for hammering this out.

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:00 PM

2. Thank you to the hosts of both groups who worked on this.

I support it 100%.

Response to MadrasT (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:52 AM

5. I second your thanks

Good work!

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:43 PM

4. I've sent the following PM to each of the three admins:

Subject Line: I think that HoF and the Men's Group have done a HIGHLY commendable job with these guidelines.
To Skinner, EarlG and Elad:
I am sending a link to each of the 3 admins and hoping that the three of you can get
together and come up with something similar for DU as a whole. I think these guidelines
mean that the toughest groundwork has already been done for you and that you just
need to tweak it to make it suitable for the entire site, much of which has become
quite toxic.
I add this for the PPR'ing of long-term members -- a FINAL WARNING NOTIFICATION in which
one of the admins (or one of a group of admin-directed "PPR Czars") PM's the offender with
the message of "Your behavior is approaching or had already crossed over a line beyond
which you are going to be PPR'd unless your behavior changes/improves NOW."
MiddleFingerMom
HoF/MG Guidelines:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/125513808

Response to MiddleFingerMom (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:53 AM

6. Well done and good ideas. nt

Response to MiddleFingerMom (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:18 AM

10. I think it's a good suggestion....

Only one thing, once someone has already crossed the line they should be ppr'd, imho. DU members would have already been giving voice and the admins would probably already be aware of those posters trying to give said offender some clues to recognize their own behavior.

It would be nice to have the admins to give a warning notification tho. Their words always carry more weight. Having the TOS spelled out better on some subjects would also be helpful as a warning tool. OK, that makes two things, lol.

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:41 AM

7. Hi All,

Just wanted you thank all those who have rec'd and supported this.

Afterall, most of what is covered here has been part of our SOP since the creation of this group.

There are some very basic rules all participants are expected to follow:

1) No bringing personal fights/issues/problems from other groups or past grievances with a particular member or members to this group
2) No posting jury results
3) No individual personal call outs of any DUer
4) Be respectful at all times, even if an opinion is at odds with that of another poster
5) No bullying
6) Repeated violation of the rules or a refusal to adhere to them when approached by hosts will result in being blocked from the group.

I and hlthe2b welcome any and all questions/concerns regarding this.

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:19 AM

9. As Martha Stewart says "It's a good thing". Thanks to both group's hosts!

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:47 PM

11. I'm in.

sincerely. Thank you for this Boston. You are a great host!

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:31 PM

13. Support Courtesy!

This is very good news. It will make DU a better experience all around.

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:31 PM

14. I'm thrilled.

Going forward now.

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:32 PM

15. .

Last edited Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:52 AM - Edit history (1)

Response to redqueen (Reply #15)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 AM

16. thanks, redqueen n/t

Last edited Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:03 AM - Edit history (1)

Sat Mar 30, 2013, 08:20 AM

17. unpinning, this has been up for about 4 months.

it is still in effect.