HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » History of Feminism (Group) » Protests Erupt Over Woman...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:36 PM

Protests Erupt Over Woman Who Died After Being Denied Abortion

She'd been admitted to University Hospital Galway, when she was 17 weeks pregnant, in severe pain, and was quickly found to be miscarrying. After three days, she died of septicemia, or blood poisoning, which might have been avoided if the fetus had been aborted immediately. Savita was denied the procedure, according to The Telegraph, because her doctors could still hear the fetus's heartbeat. "This is a Catholic country," she was reportedly told, although Savita was neither Catholic nor Irish (she was Indian and a Hindu). She was 31 years old.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/protests-erupt-over-woman-who-died-after-being-den

It takes a death?

8 replies, 992 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Protests Erupt Over Woman Who Died After Being Denied Abortion (Original post)
ismnotwasm Nov 2012 OP
redqueen Nov 2012 #1
MadrasT Nov 2012 #3
ismnotwasm Nov 2012 #4
CrispyQ Nov 2012 #7
seabeyond Nov 2012 #2
boston bean Nov 2012 #5
CrispyQ Nov 2012 #6
Little Star Nov 2012 #8

Response to ismnotwasm (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:35 AM

1. If you're outside of Ireland and would like to support the campaign to force the Irish government

to legislate for clarity on abortion following the appalling death of Savita Halappanavar, then please take a moment to write a postcard saying..'RIP Savita...legislate for X.' and send it to Enda Kenny, Leinster House, Dublin, Rep. of Ireland.'

More on this story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/14/savita-halappanavar-death-irish-woman-denied-abortion-dies_n_2128696.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to redqueen (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:26 AM

3. I like this action.

An avalanche of postcards seems like it would have a greater impact than yet another online petition.

This is so horrifying I haven't been able to muster a comment yet. And it is exactly what the fundy repukes want to see happen to women here.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:18 AM

4. Thank you

That I can do

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:24 PM

7. OMG, she was so lovely, so young, so vital!

Inhumane bastards.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:21 AM

2. wow, 1960's here we are all over again. so sad. they see the baby is aborting, yet they watch here

die.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:06 AM

5. This is heart wrenching.

How can people who are suppose to save people from dying, just sit around and watch a woman die?

It makes me sick...

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:22 PM

6. I had not heard this tragic story.

Talk about validating some key electoral choices last week. All those inhuman repub assholes who made atrocious rape comments, they would be just fine with this happening in this country too.

These bastards knew the fetus wasn't viable & they let her die. I have no words for how much I loathe these zealots. Their humanity has been hijacked by their ideology.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:29 PM

8. WTF. Pro-life, just not for the woman....

Makes me sick.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread