HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Feminism and Diversity (Group) » Proposal to Amend DU TOS ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:56 PM

Proposal to Amend DU TOS Language

This discussion thread is pinned.
The hosts of four groups on DU, Feminists Group, History of Feminism, Feminism and Diversity and Women's Rights have come together to ask for your input on the topic of sexist and misogynistic posts on DU and whether the language of the Terms of Service provide sufficient guidance on whether such posts are acceptable.

The Terms of Service on Democratic Underground are absent of any mention of sexism or misogyny directly. There is a prohibition of bigotry based on gender but we have seen that not all DUers interpret this language to include sexism and misogyny. We are advocating for these bigotries to be explicitly added to the Terms of Service on DU, to aid in our struggles to eliminate these bigotries from DU. We request your input and your support is critical. Spread the news and show your support here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12565203

12 replies, 1506 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Proposal to Amend DU TOS Language (Original post)
Starry Messenger Dec 2012 OP
fiorentina04 Dec 2012 #1
Hassin Bin Sober Dec 2012 #2
Starry Messenger Dec 2012 #3
Sadiedog Dec 2012 #4
Atman Dec 2012 #5
Starry Messenger Dec 2012 #6
msongs Dec 2012 #7
Atman Dec 2012 #9
yardwork Dec 2012 #11
Starry Messenger Dec 2012 #10
Permanut Dec 2012 #8
Scott6113 Jul 16 #12

Response to Starry Messenger (Original post)

Response to fiorentina04 (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:04 AM

2. Are you a tea-bagger? Nevermind - PPR'd

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hassin Bin Sober (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:15 AM

3. Geeze, I'd barely posted it and just came back!

Reply to this post

Response to fiorentina04 (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:21 AM

4. Maybe because it is not non-existant! nt

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:54 AM

5. I'm banned because I commented honestly

Apparently, these groups are only for rubber-stamping. Mens' opinions aren't welcome unless they agree with the women.

Reply to this post

Response to Atman (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:00 AM

6. Aren't you commenting in here, at this very moment?

I don't get your post. You aren't banned in here.

Globally, Groups have Statements of Purpose. If your posts run counter to the stated purpose of the project, you can be blocked. The big forums of DU are still available to all, however.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:22 AM

7. please list EXACTLY ALL the language that will be banned and

all the people who are designated to be the judges. thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 05:55 AM

9. I believe it was History of Feminism

which blocked me.

Reply to this post

Response to Atman (Reply #9)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 09:01 PM

11. This is Feminism and Diversity. There are several other feminism groups.

I know that you aren't blocked from the Feminists group either, because we don't have anybody blocked from there. I'm one of the co-hosts. You are welcome to post there, as you are welcome to post here. As proven by the fact that you are posting here!

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:24 AM

10. There is information at the link.

This would be adding language to the TOS. There is nothing in the proposal about banning words. Thank you.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:39 AM

8. Very thoughtful post..

The world of DU has a synergy that I hold very valuable, because of the wealth of information found here, the general thread of sanity that runs through the community, and more important, the GENERAL value of respect that I see among members and our communications. There are exceptions, of course, and we have some very effective tools to deal with them.

Your proposal rings entirely coherent with the existing TOS and with our collective worldview. I base that statement on just the simple definitions of sexism and misogyny (I'll add misandry as a rider). If we say that sexism is the words or actions of a poster who fosters negative gender stereotypes, or that argues for superiority of one gender over another, and that misogyny/misandry consists of behavior or speech that displays or encourages hatred, dislike or mistrust of one gender by another, then your proposal serves to clarify one of the values we hold in this little community.

I would say that this clarification doesn't run counter to our current intent, but WOULD serve to help, say, a jury, in making a decision about a specific post/alert.

Just my two cents.

Reply to this post

Response to Permanut (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 16, 2014, 09:47 AM

12. If you think it's necessary.

I think bigotry based on gender covers it. If someone posts something misogynist, I don't know if a clarification of the TOS serves as a deterrent, or will prevent an argument over deleting a post or blocking a member. Just do it.

You say "misandry as a rider" as though you must put in that equivalency for good form, but it is unimportant. I'm all but stopped posting at DU due to male bashing. Is male rape non-existent because female rape is more prevalent? Hate is hate, and some of the most hate-filled people I've known have been women regarding men. So, it isn't just a rider. I'm sure experiences vary and I'd like to think that I am as concerned about the problems, the disrespect, the dangers women face as the next person. I just don't want the other side forgotten, as though it either doesn't exist or is always justified.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread