HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Activism » Occupy Underground (Group) » Occupy Sandy, Occupy Wall...

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 11:11 PM

Occupy Sandy, Occupy Wall Street Offshoot, Amasses New York Volunteers

Last edited Fri Nov 2, 2012, 11:23 PM - Edit history (1)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/occupy-sandy-occupy-wall-street_n_2061067.html

"We already have dozens of organizers working in hubs, working out of homes, mobilizing hundreds of volunteers," Wedes said. "We've worked with local community organizations, Recovers.org, and this really shows that communities do band together, reach out, and support each other."

The Occupy Sandy movement has already received $10,000 in donations via the group's Inter-Occupy website, Wedes said, and has teamed up with climate organization 350.org for a major relief effort this Saturday. New volunteers join every hour, he added.

"It's a pretty diffuse operation here," Wedes said. "But it's reaching thousands."

(Loads more at the link. Word on Twitter has it that 5,000 have volunteered.)

Jesse Smith ‏@eastbayradical

@OccupyWallStNYC: Nearly 5,000 have already signed up to volunteer on our @recovers_org sites." This is why I'm proud of Occupy.
Retweeted by Jayron

---

David Harris-Gershon ‏@David_EHG

AMAZING: @OccupyWallStNYC Leading Massive, Volunteer-Powered Recovery Efforts in NY http://7lp.g0.sl.pt | HT @OccupySandy #occupysandy
Retweeted by Occupy Rochester MN

2 replies, 674 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Occupy Sandy, Occupy Wall Street Offshoot, Amasses New York Volunteers (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Nov 2012 OP
Purveyor Nov 2012 #1
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #2

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 11:27 PM

1. If they want to protest anything, it should the 'water bottle' handlers in the upcoming marathon.

Seriously, people are without water, food and electricity and the marathon is allowed to continue?

Really.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Purveyor (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 02:23 AM

2. Yeah that marathon should probably have been postponed.

Bad decision. I think it's fair to pin that on Bloomberg.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread