HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » I Just Don't Believe The ...

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:17 AM

I Just Don't Believe The Polls That This Race Is So Close.....

CNN is saying that going into the Repug Conv that statistically it is a dead heat. I just can't believe that given all the issues surrounding Rmoney and the Repug party. All the lies. All the deception. All the controversy surrounding women's issues, guns, taxes, Bain, Ryan's budget, Medicare, SS, etc - that this race is so close.

In my opinion President Obama should be light years ahead of Rmoney in the polls - yet most everywhere you look - except likability - things look very close.

Is the MSM just pushing this because they want to keep people interested and watching their slanted views? Or as a country are we really that divided?

I don't think my stomach can take it until Nov.

Back when President Obama won in 2008 - I gave a sigh of relief - the worrying was over for me - as we now had adults in the WH.

Now I'm on the edge of my seat worrying again and won't relax until the Dems and the President win in Nov.

If Rmoney wins - I don't think I can handle it.

Somebody please give me some hope out there.

34 replies, 3532 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 34 replies Author Time Post
Reply I Just Don't Believe The Polls That This Race Is So Close..... (Original post)
global1 Aug 2012 OP
BeyondGeography Aug 2012 #1
LineReply .
mim89 Aug 2012 #2
Botany Aug 2012 #3
WI_DEM Aug 2012 #4
harpslay Aug 2012 #5
WI_DEM Aug 2012 #6
Botany Aug 2012 #8
MatthewStLouis Aug 2012 #25
raging_moderate Aug 2012 #7
harpslay Aug 2012 #9
CrispyQ Aug 2012 #10
Blue Idaho Aug 2012 #17
brooklynite Aug 2012 #11
PlanetBev Aug 2012 #12
Liberalynn Aug 2012 #20
Liberal_Stalwart71 Aug 2012 #13
jpbollma Aug 2012 #14
Liberal_Stalwart71 Aug 2012 #19
global1 Aug 2012 #23
grantcart Aug 2012 #15
HopeHoops Aug 2012 #16
immoderate Aug 2012 #26
fifthoffive Aug 2012 #18
GallopingGhost Aug 2012 #21
ProudToBeBlueInRhody Aug 2012 #22
FrenchieCat Aug 2012 #24
UCmeNdc Aug 2012 #27
Proud Public Servant Aug 2012 #28
HockeyMom Aug 2012 #29
Freddie Stubbs Aug 2012 #30
Bonduel Aug 2012 #33
ailsagirl Aug 2012 #31
swayne Aug 2012 #32
JRLeft Aug 2012 #34

Response to global1 (Original post)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:20 AM

1. The wingnuts can't believe unemployment is over 8 percent and they're still trailing in most polls

This was always going to be close. I like our chances, especially as the final two months of the campaign will have four debates and focus more on the one thing Romney fears most: The issues.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:21 AM

2. .

Yea, im kinda worried too. I wasn't when Mitt was struggling in the primary, but after his robust fund raising in addition to the Super Pacs and Obama not pulling away.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:22 AM

3. The #s are brutal for the republicans

http://newsone.com/2031967/romney-african-american-vote/

Looking inside the numbers, Obama continues to lead Romney among key parts of
his political base, including African Americans (94 percent to 0 percent), Latinos
(by a 2-to-1 margin), voters under 35-years-old (52 percent to 41 percent) and
women (51 percent to 41 percent).

Add in gays, teachers, union workers, students, and now seniors who are scared of
Ryan/Romney's plan for medicare and social security and if done right we could really
win big this fall. Except for Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, and some other really red states.

But we still gotta work our asses off.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:24 AM

4. given the economy I would say the president is doing pretty well.

8.3% unemployment is not usally something that an incumbent president can win with, so hopefully enough people understand how the GOP has blocked the recovery and they are willing to go with Obama again. I hope in the months up to the election we can see some improvement in the employment numbers, too.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:26 AM

5. 2party

2 option democracies make for close elections. Obama's economic record makes for a close election.

Reply to this post

Response to harpslay (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:30 AM

6. as does the GOP's obstruction of doing anything that would help the unemployed--

and job market. I think enough people understood what a mess Obama inherited and how he stabilized it and how much the GOP has thrown a wrench at almost everything that could get the recovery moving faster.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:34 AM

8. Enjoy your stay ..... it will not be long

"Obama's economic record makes for a close election."

It would be much better if not for obstructionist republicans. They have tried to sabotage
and in some ways been successful at tanking the economy for political gain.

GM back, Chrysler Back, 29 months of private sector job growth, and wall street reform.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:20 PM

25. The galling thing is: if it's true we live in Bizzaro World and Rmoney wins,

the first thing he'll do is throw the Austerity BS out the window and start spending like a drunken sailor. Massive infrastructure investment that the GOPers dare not allow through with Obama in office. Lots of new defense spending too (of course). What SOBs!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:31 AM

7. They need to make it seem close....

Close enough via the corporate media puppet masters to make it possible to steal it without making it too obvious.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:36 AM

9. upworthy

http://www.upworthy.com/ this is a great site. check it out

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:37 AM

10. The media needs a close race so the super-PACs pay for more ads.

The whole fucking system is so corrupt & compromised I no longer believe we can make change through the ballot box. I still vote, but not with any confidence that it will make one bit of difference.

No wonder the largest voting segment in this country is the non-voters.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #10)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:09 PM

17. Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner!

Not only will the media outlets sell more ads - but people like Fuck Todd and the rest of the chattering class keep their big fat pay checks rolling in by telling us how just how razor thing the election victory will be.

It reminds me of Vegas - in the end the house always wins.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:39 AM

11. Yes, we are divided...

47% will never vote for a Democrat

47% will never vote for a Republican

The remaining 6% think all politicians are crooks, don't watch cable news politics shows and don't care about all the scandals/issues that we think should make the decision easy.

HOWEVER, they generally like Obama personally, they DON'T like Romney (or don't know him), and are likely to gravitate to the President when they finally start paying attention.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:43 AM

12. Whether the polls are correct or not

I prefer it shows a close race. My biggest fear is that if Obama was way ahead, Democrats might be tempted not to bother to vote.

I agree with you though, it is unnerving.

Reply to this post

Response to PlanetBev (Reply #12)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:19 PM

20. That is my fear too

that we'd get over confident. We all need to get out and vote for President Obama and the House and Senate Dems, no matter what the polls say.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:46 AM

13. Where do you live?

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #13)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:52 AM

14. The Polls Are Likely True

I know many idiotic people my age (in their 20's) who are pro-choice, pro-LGBT, want lower rates on college loans ect., however, because their parents are Republicans or because they just don't like Obama, they have never even bothered to listen to a single thing Romney says. They just know they are not voting Obama. It really boggles my mind.

Reply to this post

Response to jpbollma (Reply #14)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:18 PM

19. I asked the OP where he/she lives because I live in a very BLUE state and near D.C.

and sometimes we BLUE-staters are insulated from the rest of the country. That may be why it is so hard to believe these polls. I just don't get it, either.

I don't understand it.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #13)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:34 PM

23. Illinois, Chicago Area....nt

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:59 AM

15. Neither do the people that are willing to put money on the election.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:08 PM

16. Me either, but as the UK paper headline read, "How can 57 million Americans be so dumb?"

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #16)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:41 PM

26. I don't know how, but they are!

This is a country where stupidity is a national pastime. It's a place that can entertain the notion that the answer to every problem is "turn the banks loose, and lower taxes for the rich," even though those often tried remedies have never worked.

Its source is mostly congenital, and American education does little to counteract it. We have universities that teach creationism and supply side economics.

Sure there are some smart people, but not enough. I fall on a long held belief that I can't remember where I first heard, the odds in life are eight to five against you.

--imm

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:11 PM

18. Something's odd

Here in Knoxville, TN I've only seen one Romney bumper sticker. Is this because there is no enthusiasm for Romney and it's all anti-Obama sentiment, or is the Romney campaign just not spending money on bumper stickers? I still see a lot of McCain stickers on cars, and none of those cars have Romney stickers.

Or maybe it's not as close as the MSM wants it to look.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:39 PM

21. It's just too early to be worried.

I think you're going to see a huge bump after the debates. I didn't get any replies to my "looking forward to it" link I posted, but as the man who knew them both says, "You don't debate Obama"

He is excellent at getting his message across, and yes, I think, (hope) most people with half a brain realize that Obama inherited a bloody train wreck of a mess coming into office and it takes time to fix.

I think he will carry VA, and FL, CO, and NH.

Bit worried about OR, though.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:15 PM

22. Never underestimate the stupidity of people

I think Obama will win, but the money and lies will make it far closer than it should be.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 02:59 PM

24. After three straight years of beating up on Obama by both the Left and the Right.....

and the media framing issues in a way that doesn't tell the real truth,
I'm not suprised in the least bit.

At the end, a majority will get what they deserved, including the nomination of at least
2 supreme court judges.

And so, to all of us, I say good luck.

Note: I attempted for three long years to let people here understand that the more we piled on
on Obama, the worse that it would be for us in a long run. I was told "nonsense" as a response by many.....
and so, it goes.....

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:46 PM

27. They plan to suppress the black and Latino voters.

It is close once you remove the black and Latinos.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:49 PM

28. Polls are believeable given the econ data

Unemployment over 8%; GDP under 3%. No president since FDR has managed to get re-elected in that kind of economic climate. The fact that the race is this close is the best indication of what a simply godawful candidate Romeny is; historically, the opposition party should be wiping the floor with the president under these circumstances.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:50 PM

29. "I'm voting AGAINST Romney, not FOR Obama"

A conversation I had with 2 Independents, and 2 self described moderate Republicans. The Indy's voted for Obama last time and both Repubs voted for McCain. They are not happy with Obama, but called the Republicans, in particular Ryan, very extreme, and the ticket only for the RICH, at the expense of everyone else. One person, who said he was religious, did not like their "Christian" screwing of the poor, minorities, and old people. His words; religion is not just about gay marriage, birth control, and abortion. When I started getting worked about their War on Women, the female Republican told me, "You go, Girl". I was very surprised.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:51 PM

30. Did you believe the polls in 2010 that predicted a wave of GOP support?

Reply to this post

Response to Freddie Stubbs (Reply #30)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 04:21 PM

33. Same with the polls in Wisconsin for the recall

Every poll that came out, which was the majority of them, showed Walker in the lead. and every time they did I would see people on here say "it can't be true". It's media bias. They want to keep it close. Why can't we just accept that the President is vulnerable. The economy is horrible. Most of it should be on the Republicans, but some of it deserves to be put on this administration. There is not the same energy as 2008. I know 4 people who voted for Obama in 08 who are not going to vote for him this time around. And no matter how much I try to convince them they are not going to change their minds. They believe that the focus from day one should have been jobs, jobs, jobs. They believe the President let them down. They will continue to point out the unemployment rate, the real unemployment rate, and the deficit. These people are set to vote against him just like they were set to vote for him in 08.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Just telling you what I hear and see. As a staunch supporter of this President I am certainly in the minority where i am located.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:52 PM

31. Don't trust any poll

There is no earthly reason the candidates should be in a "dead heat." I'm beginning to think all polls are inaccurate.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:57 PM

32. If Obama was announced 53% to 47% like it really IS, the media would have nothing to do.

47% to 47% or 48% to 48% elections are media creations. Between Obama and Romney--what kind of numbnuts would be undecided on who they were going to choose? Maybe you could possibly be undecided on if you weren't sure that you were going to actually VOTE, but it is a comedy of errors to not have a choice between Obama and Romney...

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 09:16 PM

34. I do. Most Americans are dumb as hell.

This may be the election of no return. If Romney wins you better hope dems hold on to the Senate. My prediction has been Romney will win because alot of voters will stay home.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread