HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » OECD: US economy is impro...

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 03:00 AM

OECD: US economy is improving but recovery is far from complete

OECD: US economy is improving but recovery is far from complete
Report suggests economy has 'gained momentum' but says long-term unemployment and income equality must be solved

The US recovery remains on track but "fissures" have begun to appear in the world's largest economy as it struggles with record long-term unemployment and income inequality, according to a report by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.

The international economist group is more bullish on the economy than Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke, who recently downgraded his forecasts for the US economy. And the report may prove useful ammunition for the Obama administration as the economy emerges as the key battleground of the 2012 election.

The OECD offered support to president Barack Obama's plans to cut tax breaks for America's wealthiest, a plan known as the 'Buffett rule' after its championing by billionaire investor Warren Buffett.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/26/oecd-us-economy-recovery?newsfeed=true

We're not there yet. But if we decide to hand this country back over to Romney, we might as well just close up shop.

13 replies, 1842 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply OECD: US economy is improving but recovery is far from complete (Original post)
Drunken Irishman Jun 2012 OP
MannyGoldstein Jun 2012 #1
DCBob Jun 2012 #2
Drunken Irishman Jun 2012 #3
MannyGoldstein Jun 2012 #4
Drunken Irishman Jun 2012 #5
MannyGoldstein Jun 2012 #6
Drunken Irishman Jun 2012 #7
girl gone mad Jun 2012 #8
Drunken Irishman Jun 2012 #9
MannyGoldstein Jun 2012 #12
woo me with science Jun 2012 #11
woo me with science Jun 2012 #10
Rosanna Lopez Jul 2012 #13

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 06:16 AM

1. Green Shoots!

Welcome to the Summer of Recovery (tm).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:09 AM

2. We're beyond "Green Shoots"...

wev'e got saplings now!

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 01:50 PM

3. We all know you're rooting for America's failures...

Probably more so than Mitt Romney. So, it must always hurt a little for you when every report released isn't doom & gloom.

Reply to this post

Response to Drunken Irishman (Reply #3)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 02:34 PM

4. I want nothing more than for America to succeed wildly

and history is clear: we only succeed through Democratic policies.

I'm tired of years both parties claiming austerity is the answer. And I'm tired of years of being told that things are getting better, when the number of impoverished, of homeless, and of hungry Americans grows by the day.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 02:43 PM

5. And I believe you...

See, now we both lied.

Reply to this post

Response to Drunken Irishman (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 04:18 PM

6. It must be frustrating

to be unable to support your position with facts and logic.

Keep working on it.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 04:38 PM

7. It must be frustrating...

To not even acknowledge passing success, even if it's limited. You're so hard up for bad economic news that you ignore good news.

So, enjoy rooting against America. Don't forget that you posted a while back, though edited your comment after being called out on it, how you wanted a new depression to cleanse both parties. You're on record saying, a few weeks ago, that you'd rather have a major depression just for political gain. Like I said, you're rooting for America's failure. You want the economy to go south so that Obama loses and then you can thumb your noses at us. You're no different than Mitt Romney in that regard.

Reply to this post

Response to Drunken Irishman (Reply #7)

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:35 PM

8. Complete and utter bullshit.

Every true progressive on this board, including Manny, lobbied long and hard to get this administration to embrace rational, progressive economic policies rather than the austerian neoliberal deficit hawk clusterfuck of misery which he prefers.

Why do you think we sacrificed time to do so, imbibed Irish person? Do you honestly believe it was because we were hoping Obama would fail so miserably that we would still be stuck with a shit economy in November 2012? What the fuck kind of logic is that?

God, you sound dumb.

Reply to this post

Response to girl gone mad (Reply #8)

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:48 PM

9. You are a girl gone mad...

I don't care what you consider bullshit. Your friend over there wants a Great Depression - for America to fail. That's what some of you liberals are left with, hoping against hope that our country fails so that you'll be proven right.

It's sad, really. Remarkably sad, if you ask me. I know we can be a bitter bunch, but some liberals are so bitter they'd soon burn down the whole village to spite us all than help put the fires out.

So, yeah, I think you hoped Obama would fail and now that he isn't, now that we're seeing some improvements, you're left denying those improvements and hoping for more catastrophe so that you can be proven right.

That's what's complete & utter bullshit. Enjoy rooting against America and then slamming your keyboard in anger when things don't go as badly as you hoped.

Reply to this post

Response to Drunken Irishman (Reply #9)

Sat Jun 30, 2012, 09:07 PM

12. Well, we can certainly agree on one thing:

One of us is full of shit.

The Third Way may have been good for you, but it continues to be hideous for the vast bulk of the 99%. Behold: the fruits of the Third Way: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/28/homeless-students-us_n_1635709.html

Reply to this post

Response to Drunken Irishman (Reply #7)

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 03:44 PM

11. What utter garbage. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 03:41 PM

10. Recovery for the one percent, as the numbers show.

It has not been a "recovery"; it has been a deliberate restructuring of where the money goes.

It is a theft.

http://www.zcommunications.org/why-the-economy-has-only-recovered-for-the-one-percent-by-roger-bybee

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 1, 2012, 01:39 AM

13. Emperor Caligula

No kidding, OECD! Did you really think an economy which had a huge crash in 2008 could completely recover in only a few years?

Taking over after George W. Bush is like having to take over after the Emperor Caligula. When you have a walking disaster as your leader who nearly destroys your country, his successor has his work cut out for him.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread