HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Message hidden by jury de...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 01:25 PM

Message hidden by jury decision

12 replies, 1808 views

Cannot reply in hidden threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Message hidden by jury decision. (Original post)
Domingo Tavella Jun 2012 OP
CrispyQ Jun 2012 #1
Domingo Tavella Jun 2012 #9
Enrique Jun 2012 #2
Domingo Tavella Jun 2012 #5
Enrique Jun 2012 #3
Domingo Tavella Jun 2012 #4
Voice for Peace Jun 2012 #6
WingDinger Jun 2012 #7
Moosepoop Jun 2012 #8
Domingo Tavella Jun 2012 #11
Moosepoop Jun 2012 #12
flamingdem Jun 2012 #10

Response to Domingo Tavella (Original post)

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 01:31 PM

1. The prez has a grace about him that you don't see in many men,

especially politicians. It encompasses the physical & mental. It is such a pleasure to see.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 01:26 PM

9. Precisely, and that is one of the reasons

better-educated Republicans hate him so much!

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 01:36 PM

2. I don't think most of them don't hate him personally

I've heard many right-wingers say they like him personally, and polls show that as a person he is quite popular.

Of course there is racism, no one would deny that, but I think you are assuming a premise that isn't supported, that there is some unexplainable dislike of Obama that needs some explanation.

Response to Enrique (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 02:11 PM

5. Yes, there is a premise

and it is supported. In a research study (I read it but don't recall the title and origin, if I find it I'll quote it) a couple of years ago, it was shown that Obama's racial disparity was about 8% against him. This does not account for the ferocity and irrationality of the sentiments against him by grass-roots republicans. It doesn't account for the house willingness to drive the country into default, for example. The best way to confirm this is to have some dialog with working class republicans, nothing sheds better light than physical evidence.

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 01:43 PM

3. "voters still aren't ready to hate this president"

this was the leaked document about Joe Ricketts's PAC's strategy against Obama

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us/politics/gop-super-pac-weighs-hard-line-attack-on-obama.html?pagewanted=all

The strategists grappled with the quandary of running against Mr. Obama that other Republicans have cited this year: “How to inflame their questions on his character and competency, while allowing themselves to still somewhat ‘like’ the man becomes the challenge.”

Lamenting that voters “still aren’t ready to hate this president,” the document concludes that the campaign should “explain how forces out of Obama’s control, that shaped the man, have made him completely the wrong choice as president in these days and times.”

Response to Enrique (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 02:06 PM

4. mmm...

have you spoken with grass-roots republicans recently? I have. They are 50% of the population, and they hate Obama to the point of irrationality. Read my explanation carefully, it may provide an answer.

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 03:33 PM

6. white men have always felt threatened by black men

not fear of crime but fear of their superior appeal to white women.

No offense to white men intended.

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 04:01 PM

7. They will hate anyone that represents the upcoming demographic shift.

What you grew up knowing, is familiar. You have learned to navigate it, and succeed. Now, THEY want to change the rules, after you have succeeded and are a winner of sorts. To ask people to expect less makes them hate. Witness the tea party. Those are the winners by and large, no matter the hicky facade. They have retirements, hobbies and free time. They feel they are morally superior, likely God made them win as they were superior. now, to tell them they will be also rans, says to them they are being punished. They dESERVE to have more resources that all others. I hear it all the time. Read any winger board.

Fri Jun 15, 2012, 06:02 PM

8. "black males are very well endowed..." Wait, what???

Are you stating this as a fact? It sure sounds like it:

But why do average white six-packs hate Obama so viscerally? Here, again, Freud can give as a clue. The vast majority of American white males have had the opportunity to discover, in school locker rooms, gyms, and otherwise, that black males are very well endowed, to the point that any white male risks embarrassment in attempting any comparison. This, I must assume, is particularly the case in the South, where the black population is large and where white Republicans are more concentrated.

This is a myth (duh!), and should not be stated here at DU as a supposed fact.

You should edit your OP to be more clear if you intended to say that white American males may be under the impression that black males are "superbly well-endowed," due to falling for the myth.

If you really meant that white males KNOW FOR A FACT that black males are better endowed, your post needs to be hidden.

What is your response?

Response to Moosepoop (Reply #8)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 01:41 PM

11. Empirical data

in this area is hard to come by. Several surveys show that some black men are, on average, better endowed than white Europeans, but the statistics are not solid (samples too small, self-reporting issues, etc.)

It might be a matter of perception, but perception, if sufficiently reinforced, tends to be treated as real in people's minds, and that is what matters, ultimately.

Response to Domingo Tavella (Reply #11)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:14 PM

12. Empirical data my butt.

You stated what you did as an unequivocal fact -- that the "vast majority of white American males" have personally seen for themselves that black males have larger genitals.

Here are your words again:

Here, again, Freud can give as a clue. The vast majority of American white males have had the opportunity to discover, in school locker rooms, gyms, and otherwise, that black males are very well endowed, to the point that any white male risks embarrassment in attempting any comparison. This, I must assume, is particularly the case in the South, where the black population is large and where white Republicans are more concentrated.

You did not speak of "perception," you stated this as a FACT when it is nothing more than a racial stereotype.

"Several surveys show..." ??? Again, what a pantload.

No number of qualifiers such as "not solid statistics," "empirical data is hard to come by," etc., are enough to weasel-word your way out of your original contention at this point. You are not saying that you misspoke (or mistyped) or were unclear in your original assertion. You've only attempted (poorly, I may add) to justify it.

Racial stereotypes have no place on DU. Why are you propagating them?

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 01:36 PM

10. It's not about genitals

it's about being a developed human being who took difficulty and turned it around. Thus, he shows up those white male working class guys that they could have done more but something was lacking.

Also, he's half white so we need to discuss member size of the Celtic race! He's half basically Irish I believe.

Another interesting related thought is why they don't give him "credit" for his white half.

Again that shows it is less about the physical and more the psychological and their word for him is "elite".

Reply to this thread