HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Marco Rubio gets VP nod i...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 11:49 AM

Marco Rubio gets VP nod in conservative straw poll

Source: Christian Science Monitor

Marco Rubio gets VP nod in conservative straw poll

Sen. Marco Rubio won CPAC's straw poll vote to be Mitt Romney's running mate. Rubio denies wanting the job, but would bring two important things to the ticket: his Hispanic background and tea party support.

By Mark Guarino, Staff writer / June 9, 2012

CHICAGO

The vice presidential chatter around Marco Rubio intensified Friday evening when the Florida senator won a straw poll intended to test conservative inclinations about the best choice to be presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s running mate.

Sen. Rubio earned 30 percent of the vote in the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) straw poll conducted in suburban Chicago at a one-day conference of the American Conservative Union, a national conservative advocacy group based in Washington. The summit attracted an estimated 2,000 people in Rosemont, a Chicago suburb.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was a distant second at 14 percent. US Rep. Paul Ryan (9 percent), US Sen. Rand Paul (8 percent), and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (7 percent) rounded out a list of 13 contenders, which included most of Mr. Romney’s former competition in this season’s Republican primary elections.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/President/2012/0609/Marco-Rubio-gets-VP-nod-in-conservative-straw-poll

8 replies, 1485 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Marco Rubio gets VP nod in conservative straw poll (Original post)
Eugene Jun 2012 OP
sharp_stick Jun 2012 #1
Jamaal510 Jun 2012 #6
onehandle Jun 2012 #2
HooptieWagon Jun 2012 #3
russspeakeasy Jun 2012 #4
Douglas Carpenter Jun 2012 #5
hrmjustin Jun 2012 #7
whistler162 Jun 2012 #8

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 11:58 AM

1. How many straw polls and meetings do

these assholes have? Don't any of them actually have real jobs or any other fucking commitments? Every time I turn around there's a gathering of douche nozzles somewhere holding a meaningless straw poll to elect dumbfuck number 1 to something or other.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sharp_stick (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 04:54 PM

6. Yet another case of the Rovian tactic,

where these clowns are busy with their meaningless straw polls instead of having real jobs, which accusing liberals of being slackers.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 12:10 PM

2. He will be VP on the Romney ticket. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 12:20 PM

3. The Rs wont find the latino vote theyre looking for.

Hispanics arent a monolithic bloc. Plus, Rubio has a long history of financial improprieties... Dems will have a lot of ammunition to use.

Reply to this post

Response to HooptieWagon (Reply #3)

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 02:44 PM

4. Ammunition ? They may have it; doesn't mean they'll use it.

They had a full load against Scott, but didn't use it effectively.
We Florida Dems are such a weak and disorganized group that we won't call a liar a liar, or a thief a thief; hence, we get Scott for governor. (the government we deserve) ?

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 03:20 PM

5. right now Intrade actually has Portman leadining Rubio 26.9% to 19.5%

I suppose it all comes down to how much Romney feels he needs to satisfy the base. Rubio would of course be stronger in that regard. However, Romney may very well conceive that the base will be enthusastic enough about just defeating Obama - that they may not be as demanding as one might expect. Frankly, if I was a GOP operative I would think Portman would be a stronger card to play in a general election as long as the GOP is confident that the base will quickly fall in line - which I think for the most part they will.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 05:11 PM

7. I think he is a sex scandal waiting to happen.

I think you know what I mean.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 10, 2012, 08:11 PM

8. Phaaaa..... he ain't not even a real American!

his parents where Cuban immigrants let him run for VP of Cuba!<SARCASM>

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread