Boehner preps for another debt-ceiling standoff (LA Times)
Yet more of the same... ~ pinto
Boehner preps for another debt-ceiling standoff
By Lisa Mascaro
May 15, 2012
WASHINGTON -- Ready for another debt-ceiling standoff in Congress?
House Speaker John A. Boehner said Tuesday he will insist on spending cuts in exchange for a vote in Congress to raise the nation’s debt limit, forewarning a year-end showdown that could resemble the standoff that resulted in a gridlocked Congress and the nation’s first ever credit rating downgrade.
“We shouldn’t dread the debt limit. We should welcome it. It’s an action-forcing event in a town that has become infamous for inaction,” Boehner is expected to say Tuesday afternoon in remarks released by his office ahead of his talk at the Peter G. Peterson Foundation’s 2012 Fiscal Summit in Washington.
“When the time comes, I will again insist on my simple principle of cuts and reforms greater than the debt limit increase,” Boehner continued. “This is the only avenue I see right now to force the elected leadership of this country to solve our structural fiscal imbalance. If that means we have to do a series of stop-gap measures, so be it – but that’s not the ideal.”
Boehner’s comments were the first to directly establish what many in Washington have expected: Republicans will once again use the need to raise the nation’s debt ceiling to force President Obama and Democrats to make deep budget cuts.
1. What the hell happened to the deal from last year
that was supposed to take us through to 2013 and allow President Obama to raise the debt ceiling without worrying about another vote? Congress could, of course, "disapprove" of it but the deal (I thought) was agreed to in order to prevent another round of "hostage taking". It was also supposed to result in automatic spending cuts. Hopefully, President Obama and the Dems remind everybody about this deal where Boehner said that he got 98% of what he wanted. I guess he is back to collect the remaining 2% he didn't get?