HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » TPM: Biden: 'Worth Consi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Oct 31, 2013, 02:38 PM

TPM: Biden: 'Worth Considering' Senate Nuclear Option For Nominees

Biden: 'Worth Considering' Senate Nuclear Option For Nominees

CAITLIN MACNEAL OCTOBER 31, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT

Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday that it might be a good idea to change the rules of the Senate for nominee confirmations, known as the "nuclear option," according to the Huffington Post.

"I think it's worth considering," Biden told reporters after he was asked if nominations should only need a simple majority, as opposed to requiring 60 votes.

On Thursday Republicans blocked two of President Obama's nominations by voting against cloture. Patricia Millett was nominated to serve on the D.C. Circuit Court and Rep. Mel Watt's (D-NC) was nominated to head the Federal Housing Finance Agency.

Biden told reporters that Watt is completely qualified to become chief of the Federal Housing Finance Agency.

"Mel Watt is absolutely, totally, thoroughly qualified and it's a gigantic disappointment," Biden said.

Multiple Democratic senators said Thursday that they also felt that a rules change will be necessary.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/biden-worth-considering-senate-voting-rules-change

1 replies, 463 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply TPM: Biden: 'Worth Considering' Senate Nuclear Option For Nominees (Original post)
flpoljunkie Oct 2013 OP
Wounded Bear Oct 2013 #1

Response to flpoljunkie (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2013, 03:22 PM

1. Love ya, Joe.....just shut up and do it....

Of course, Biden can't really do much about it. He's Constitutionally not allowed to do much of anything except vote on ties. The problem is, of course, with the fillibuster there aren't any 'ties' any more.

So, I guess my comment is directed to the 'multiple Senate Dems' who are 'quoted.'

Shut up and do it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread