HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Ted Cruz, the Anti-Rubio ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu May 2, 2013, 12:28 PM

Ted Cruz, the Anti-Rubio Who Is Determined to Stop Immigration Reform

by David Catanese May 2, 2013 4:45 AM EDT

The Texas freshman has become the face of the GOP opposition to immigration reform—and that could boost the senator’s prospects in 2016, reports David Catanese.

Three weeks after he was elected to the Senate, Ted Cruz delivered a speech in a dimly lit downtown Washington hotel ballroom addressing the thumping his party had sustained at the ballot box, particularly at the hands of Hispanic voters.

“The issue is not, as the media would suggest, 100 percent about immigration,” the Texas senator told the banquet of conservatives, deriding the press corps’ “obsessive” focus on that issue.

“I think Republicans need to remain a party that supports securing the border and stopping illegal immigration, and at the same time welcomes and celebrates, champions legal immigration,” he continued, to thunderclaps from the favorable audience. “It ain’t the answer just to suddenly talk about immigration and forget everything else. I’m going to suggest instead a different path.”

Just as the immigration debate is heating up—and Cruz’s own potential presidential aspirations are coming into sharp focus—the 42-year-old Cuban-American is now looking to make good on his word.

No Republican senator has been a more audacious opponent of the bipartisan approach to immigration than Cruz. And being a freshman who has been a part of the seniority-driven chamber for less than four months makes the play even bolder.

full article
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/02/ted-cruz-the-anti-rubio-who-is-determined-to-stop-immigration-reform.html

9 replies, 878 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ted Cruz, the Anti-Rubio Who Is Determined to Stop Immigration Reform (Original post)
DonViejo May 2013 OP
summerschild May 2013 #1
Marcuse May 2013 #3
summerschild May 2013 #5
Marcuse May 2013 #6
Warren DeMontague May 2013 #7
Marcuse May 2013 #9
summerschild May 2013 #8
dballance May 2013 #4
Blue Owl May 2013 #2

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu May 2, 2013, 01:21 PM

1. Ted Cruz was born in Canada. Yet he has presidential aspirations?

Somebody please school me. I thought you had to be born in the US to be President.

New rules for this dangerous azzhat?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to summerschild (Reply #1)

Thu May 2, 2013, 04:18 PM

3. Some (principled?) birthers say Cruz = Obama.

They also don't like the fact that the Senator's father fought for Castro.

Reply to this post

Response to Marcuse (Reply #3)

Thu May 2, 2013, 07:55 PM

5. Regardless of what birthers say, Obama was born in the US (Hawaii is a state. Canada is not.)

Reply to this post

Response to summerschild (Reply #5)

Fri May 3, 2013, 12:16 AM

6. Natural Born Citizen

These particular birthers believe both parents must be US citizens, citing a French (!) legal text allegedly relied upon by the Framers. They reject Cruz and Rubio as well as Obama. I suggested they are principled, but consistent is a better choice of word. It will be great theatre.

Reply to this post

Response to Marcuse (Reply #6)

Fri May 3, 2013, 02:10 AM

7. Did these "particular" birthers object to Romney on the basis of his dad being born in Mexico?

I sure don't remember that happening.

Reply to this post

Response to Warren DeMontague (Reply #7)

Fri May 3, 2013, 12:14 PM

9. George Romney was born in Mexico, but

George's parents were natural born US citizens, ergo so was he and Mitt and Trip, etc. Same with John McCain who was born in Panama. Actually I'd be in favor of allowing the naturalized citizens to serve, if elected. Why not?

Reply to this post

Response to Marcuse (Reply #6)

Fri May 3, 2013, 03:27 AM

8. Thanks for the info. Where do all these yahoos come from!

I have a step daughter who was born in Peru. Both her mother and father were Americans, born in Tennessee.
She grew up being told she was ineligible to run for President because of her birth in Peru (born around l960).

Reply to this post

Response to summerschild (Reply #1)

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:16 PM

2. Ted Cruz Control Freak

Better let baby Teddy get his way or he'll throw a tantrum!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread